All I Was review by Tremonti

• Released: Jul 17, 2012
Tremonti: All I Was

No stranger to hard rock/metal with loads of melody, Mark Tremonti drops his debut solo album on the world and man, does it hit with a heavy boom. Tremonti takes his usual riffs that everyone is familiar with from his work with Alter Bridge and Creed and in the words of Spinal Tap, "turns them up to 11". Every track, save the two slower tunes, is a perfect blend of metal and melody, and will have you testing the limits of your sound system with every turn of the volume knob. This is pure metal with no filler (or obnoxious frontman. Yes, I'm looking at you, Scott Stapp). The audio quality of this CD is among the best I've heard in the past 20 years. Yeah, like every other modern record these days, it's still compressed all to hell, but somehow the engineer managed to leave just enough headroom to give some much appreciated dynamics. The drums are the biggest surprise here, going deep but also providing amazing speed and punch. There are several places where the double kick drums take you immediately back to the days of Metallica. The engineers and mastering guys deserve huge amounts of praise.

Lyrically, Tremonti delves into the same places he likes to go with his other two bands. Not that this is a bad thing, but you'll get no surprises here. The place you will be surprised is Tremonti's voice. Wow, I knew he could sing, but he SINGS the hell outta this album. He sings alongside Myles Kennedy on a couple tracks on the most recent Alter Bridge album and this offers a nice change of pace, but after hearing his voice in full solo, I get goosebumps thinking about an entire AB album centered around the juxstaposition of his voice in contrast to Myles'.

Picking a favorite track is tough, in the same way that pcking a favorite AB track is hard. There's NO weak spots. Today, I really dig "Brains", but this may change tomorrow. Top notch musicianship, a lack of ego, brutal guitars, INCREDIBLE drumming, and infectious melody all add up to the best metal album of 2012 and one of the best albums, period, in the last 5 years.

crazysam23_Atax
    biff022 wrote: All things Tremonti = lack of artistic value. Sounds like all the other Hellyeas Trapts Stainds Crossfades Shinedowns bullshit that pollutes mainstream rock today. Throw Creed and Alter Bridge in there too with the rest of the safe metal crowd. It's a shame this guy has no taste in music... you can hear his practice hours.
    You're an ignorant jackass...
    ibanez124
    Is it lonely on your pedestal?
    offspringfan41
    Abacus11 wrote: biff022 wrote: I just totally love how the album art is basically an Affliction tee. That's so totally sweet... it works with all my Affliction and Tapout gear. This is great music for me to listen to when I'm weaving in and out of traffic on my Kawasaki crotch rocket. All things Tremonti = lack of artistic value. Sounds like all the other Hellyeas Trapts Stainds Crossfades Shinedowns bullshit that pollutes mainstream rock today. Throw Creed and Alter Bridge in there too with the rest of the safe metal crowd. It's a shame this guy has no taste in music... you can hear his practice hours. This is spot on. Mark Tremonti is one of the most overrated guitar players on Earth. I only looked at this review for entertainment. You'd have to pay me (a lot) to listen to this album.
    What guitarists do you like then?
    wjd329
    Sometimes when I read idiot comments that people post about how much they think someone or something sucks it just makes me wanna vomit. Really? Seriously guys?....this sucks? Are you all f**king high?! The guy can shred, he can sing, he's cool and down to earth, Alterbridge rocks, Creed WAS good before everyone got to know what Stapp was really like. Get off your high horses, quit being bitches and learn to appreciate or ATLEAST respect what is good. And not just your whiny little "I can play seek and destroy really good" opinion but a cold hard FACT. THIS is music. Is it gonna change the world? No. But does it kick ass? Absolutely. Period.
    Creep_C-1
    I didn't think anyone on this planet would ever say that tremonti was a crap guitarist or overrated. That is a huge joke. Tremonti is a beast, buy his dvd called the sound and the story then come back an comment
    D4CE
    Stay in your bubble then..
    sg4ever
    The thing about opinions is that they are just like butt holes. Everyone has one. It's nothing special pull down your pants to show everyone yours. Please do put out a video or dvd that demonstrates the fruit of your practice though. I want to be as good as you are one day.
    katalyzt13
    TheClev wrote: Anyone else notice UG's review gets the lyrics completely wrong for You Waste Your Time?
    Sorry, I did the best I could listening to the track.
    AlterTremonti
    biff022 wrote: I never claimed to be a great guitarist. Tremonti would shred circles around me. He's very skilled. His music is boring and mundane. There is no depth to his art, which is why so many like it... it's easily accessible. Like I said, it's a shame that a guy who is obviously willing to put in the work to master the guitar has absolutely no taste in music. Come on! He was in Creed for god's sake! Creed! The original 90's ripoff band... Tremonti does wear the sweetest Affliction tees. I'll give him that.
    Mark has never worn an affliction tee. LOL. I'm a seasoned guitarist and musician, I can respect all sorts of music... from Creed to Progressive Metal.. everything except country. And in all honesty, where does the basis for "Creed is a ripoff band" come from? I don't get it. They were an original fresh band when they came out.. not copying anyone. There were no bands before 1995 (when they began writing their first album) that sounded anything like them. If anything lots of bands copied them during the early 2000's nu metal era.
    chrizevans
    Absolutely love this album, its full of great songs from start to finish. Bring on the new AB album!!
    vppark2
    BloodyPumpkins wrote: This guy is indeed a very skilled guitarist. But his music makes me wanna vomit. Downvotes, come at me.
    Your wish has come true.
    drop1337
    Tremonti 2 tracking, over 5 songs in on the new album as this is written!
    mysticguitar77
    Vocally, this album is mediocre at best. Tremonti still has some work to do with his voice, but knowing him and knowing how far he's come with his guitar playing, he's going to only get better from here. But, that is really the only negative thing I have to say about it. The musicianship is top notch for this brand of music as was expected and Tremonti even throws in some thrash-tastic riffage in a lot of songs that showcases his picking speed which is up to par with many metal guitarists you hear today. Overall, I was very pleased with it, it's a solid listen, but it's not perfection like many people proclaim it to be. There is still room for improvement. I'd give it a respectable 8/10. Now, Scott and Eric are also in Projected and I'll definitely recommend to the people that enjoyed this album to look into these guys as well. Their debut comes out in mid September I think, but they have the lead singles up on YouTube already. Good stuff and sounds like it'll suit my tastes a little better than Tremonti's solo album did.
    D4CE
    You should give him a chance. He's written plenty of songs with depth in his carreer. Alter Bridge is a great example of that (songs like Blackbird, New Way to Live..), but even in Creed there was some good stuff of that (Faceless man, Pity for a Dime..). Creed was all about soul and depth, but most people didn't look further than 'Higher' and 'My Sacrifice'. Sure, he's accesable.. So what? If you give his music a chance, you can hear his soul in every song.
    HarrySound
    Brilliant album. Can't fault him as a guitar player. And for someone whos sold something round the region of 40-50 million albums across 15 years yet never done lead vocals apart from a song in 1997 and on the last alter bridge record I think he's done a fecking fantastic job. It's grittier ,more manly and suits the music very well indeed.
    waltb87
    Both of you guys must have "good" taste in music then. Probably some failed guitarists that had to turn to WOW and living in their mom's basement where nothing sounds good down there.
    Lh0o
    Just because it isn't Dream Theater doesn't mean it has no depth, nor is it so important. Simple things can be very efficient and enjoyable. I don't need music to be deep to be enjoyable and that's something rock fans have to understand. (I'm a huge progressive metal fan)
    metalslayer09
    I for one really like this album. It was definitely worth the wait. Even though he sung a good deal on Words darker than their wings I'm still surprised by his voice.
    pd31597
    for all you people saying tremonti isnt good... you are very lucky theres a computer between us... you are either deaf or retarded... or a nickelback/daughtry fan in which you are both of those
    CrazyAce#7
    rockerwannabe
    I had the good fortune to be visiting Orlando when Tremonti had his release party show at The Social. Wow!!! I knew none of the songs and yet I was blown away. Decay stood out to me as the top song of the cd and since listening to the cd I find that one to be the shining star amongst the constellation that the cd is. Tremonti is incredible and what a down to earth guy, too. He hung around to sign merch and other swag that people already had and was just great natured guy hanging out (Scott Phillips was in the crowd, too, just talking to whoever cared to approach him). The CD rocks, is aptly called "Melodic Metal" by Mark himself, and it really is a breath of fresh air. In addition, this will make me explore more metal bands, too, like SoulSwitch which backed up Tremonti that night. How anyone that likes rock can dislike this music is beyond me. Now we just wait for Myles' solo effort...
    BloodyPumpkins
    mysticguitar77 wrote: That goes for anything really. You should have seen the chastising I got from my friends and family on Facebook because I didn't think The Dark Knight Rises was as great as everybody is making it out to be. Yeah, it's a phenomenal movie, but that doesn't make it exempt from me finding things that I didn't like about it.
    Woah dude, you went to see The Dark Knight Rises and came back alive. Too soon?
    acdcfan34
    Powerpro
    acdcfan34 wrote: Possibly the album of the year so far along with Apocalyptic Love. Great stuff from an amazing guitarist!
    Album of the year ! i'll second that! Pretentous dbag players dont even bother, you dont have enough soul to enjoy a great rock record like this. In a time when rock has to compete with the worst pop/techno/manufactured crap ever ....a record like this is a breath of freah air. Thank You Mark Tremonti for always putting out great music that I (and millions of others) enjoy.
    biff022
    BloodyPumpkins
    Miyagi84
    Have to give the album a listen, I think he's a good guitarist, though all of his solo's tend to sound the same. I agree with the above poster that the album cover looks like an affliction shirt.
    CryCrazy
    Holoogamooga wrote: I've only heard the single and teasers, but I'm looking forward to hearing the rest. Good stuff so far. Now if we can get an AB record with Myles and Mark sharing lead vocals AND lead guitar...
    If you listen to AB, Mark is always doing second vocals in like every song and in the last song of AB3, he sings a whole bridge part.
    CJSchecter96
    if his stuff is so "lacking" go try to play any thing since 2004 that he has put out
    JBailey23
    @crazyace#7 ya might check best buy. The one near me had one of the 3000 signed copies.
    CJSchecter96
    CrazyAce#7 wrote: CJSchecter96 wrote: Miyagi84 wrote: CJSchecter96 wrote: Miyagi84 wrote: LMAO at all of the Tremonti fanboys disliking everyone that has an opinion other than their own. Fact is, Myles Kennedy is a better singer AND guitarist than Tremonti, Tremonti admitted it himself... go lookup old videos of Myles playing, he is better... and I don't have to speak about how great his voice it. Not saying Tremonti is a bad player, or that I'm better than him, just stating my opinion. Give my comment as many dislikes as you want, I don't give a crap. In the end, it's only you fanboys that are getting butthurt because I'm saying something different than you. Get a life. Myles is definetly a better sing especially live. but not nesscesarly a better player. theyre both awesome. just at different styles. Mark is a real fast shredder but Myles has that bluesy background. thats what makes their songs so interesting. the clash of styles. At least we can have a discussion about this... hopefully all the Slash fanboys will read these posts to see what an actual discussion is. That being said, I have to respectfully disagree.
    Ignore the SUPER CHEESY clothes and awful video, and go right to 2:54, Myles rips out a solo... it's not the greatest in the world, not as good as some of the ones he does live now, but he has chops at least to Tremonti or better. The difference between him and Tremonti is Myles as far as I see it is that Myles is more melodic, he's not just playing fast to play fast. That's just my opinion, I think Myles is better, but like I said before, Tremonti has said in numerous articles, he has admitted that Myles is better than him. Tremonti said he never knew how good he was until one night he overheard Myles playing an amazingly technical jazz solo over a repeating pattern. The funny thing is Myles always ceded the lead guitar spot to Tremonti, either as an act of good faith for giving him the job, or just because he's a really nice guy, which by all account Myles ( and Tremonti) is/are. i agree i've seen that video before. i know Myles could play lead in any other band in the world, but i wouldnt call him better or Tremonti. I'd say theyre equally awesome just better at playing different styles It's all really matter of opinion in style. Great example is that my friend is a jazz and blues guitar player and I'm a metal guitarist. We both actually believe the other is a better guitarist. I love his ability to play smooth and more soulful which I personally think is why he's better but I'd demolish him when it comes down to heavier riffing and shredding, so he thinks I'm better than him. It's all taste and styles. While I do love the more soulful sounding guitar, I favor Tremonti because he's been a big influence on me over the years, ever since Creed.
    wow you just described me and my friend! im the bluesy guy and hes more of a metal player! thats ironic.
    mysticguitar77
    SIEGE312
    First of all, why are people coming to a review of the album to say they will never listen to the album? Anyways.. I like the album overall, Tremonti really isn't treading any new ground musically, just delving a little deeper into the metal side of his writing, not to say it's a bad thing, he knows his strengths and he sticks to them, though perhaps a bit too much. As for his singing, he very may well have a way to go in terms of gaining more confidence in his voice, but for his first true outing behind the mic he has done incredibly well. Personally, I would love for him to step out of his comfort zone musically now that he knows he can stand on his own. I'd just like to see some more risks taken on his next outing. Overall: 8/10