You Waste Your Time review by Tremonti

• Released: May 7, 2012
Tremonti: You Waste Your Time

After years of being the lead guitarist for Creed and Alter Bridge, Mark Tremonti breaks out as the lead man in his debut solo album "All I Was". The first single entitled "You Waste Your Time" shows Mark unleashing his metal side like he never has before. From the opening seconds of the song onward, Tremonti alongside rhythm guitarist Eric Friedman and drummer Garrett Whitlock (both formerly of Submersed) are out to prove this isn't just a simple side project. The song kicks off with heavy riffs from Tremonti and Friedman accompanied by very tight drumming. Once the first verse begins, the song slows down into a more melodic structure only to build back up into an explosive chorus shortly after. The song's solo is one of the fastest Tremonti has ever done, and I'm always left wanting to hear more when the track comes to a close.

As a big fan of Tremonti's work throughout the years, my main curiosity leading up to the release of this single was how Mark could hold up as a lead singer. After listening to the song multiple times, I can safely say he does not disappoint. Mark has an aggressive, yet melodic voice that suits the song very well. With the current state of hard rock/metal music being filled with screaming vocalists, hearing a melodic voice accompanying triplets and a blazing solo is quite a pleasure. Lyrically, fans of the Alter Bridge record "One Day Remains" should be satisfied. Mark puts his lyrical stamp on this song with lines such as: "All the ties were severed when you came // But what if I could mend them once again? // You're afraid to learn // Forced to watch those bridges as they burn // You waste your time // You hide too much don't ever let me find // What you're thinking". Lyrically, Tremonti meets the expectations that I have come to recognize him for over the years. Vocally, he exceeds every expectation I could have imagined.

I feel "You Waste Your Time" will do well as the first single for "All I Was". The song itself reminds me of other melodic hard rockers such as Stone Sour and Five Finger Death Punch, but overall I think Tremonti has managed to make a distinguished sound of his own on this track. One gripe I do have about this song is that it follows the typical Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/Solo/Chorus pattern found across radios everywhere, but this doesn't come as too big a surprised considering this song was picked as the radio single. I have personally been following the progress of Tremonti's solo career for over a year now, so it's needless to say I had high expectations when this single was released. I can safely say "You Waste Your Time" is everything I thought it would be and more, and I can't wait to hear the full release of "All I Was" when it comes out in July.

metalslayer09
    I like it. Tremonti is a badass but his voice was very surprising. I thought he'd sound more like words darker than their wings.
    BwareDWare94
    Mark Tremonti is one of this generation's greatest musicians. The quality of this song is no surprise, and I expect All I Was to be shockingly good.
    mlukeroberts222
    ibanez124
    Well played Mr. Tremonti . . . well played. You will still continue to be one of my biggest influences for years to come.
    p_a_morgan
    mustaine42
    I love how UG does BS news articles but won't post anything about this being released. There are so many people following this release and UG couldn't give two shits. I personally have listened to YWYT like 100 times. It's fantastic. This album is going to kick ass.
    BwareDWare94
    Raining Kasch wrote: mlukeroberts222 wrote: Going to be an awesome album - maybe the best of the year. Most underrated guitarist on he planet. Not sure where you're getting the "underrated guitarist" bit. Maybe not with the same sense of celebrity as Synyster Gates, but whatever. I like to think people who bother to look beyond whats played on the radio at the actual album have a healthy respect for Tremonti.
    The unearned celebrity status of Synester Gates. Mark Tremonti uses Avenged sheet music as toilet paper.
    Patrijz
    Great voice indeed, but the whole metal influences 'he has never shown' is severely overrated. Have you people not listened to Ties That Bind? Isolation? Still Remains? I expect some metal riffing combined with the strong hard rock songwriting, all I'm used to from Tremonti. His voice makes the sound unique, but honestly I didn't think the new single is really metal or surprising in any way. Still very good and I'm liking it though!
    tdwpozzy
    listen to Sidewinder by A7X and tell me Syn and Zacky dont have chops in other styles of music, Tremonti is good of course, but so are A7x, I just find them to be the more versatile bandn IMO
    Raining Kasch
    Fausch
    Fecking great song. Which is saying something about the album as a whole because it's actually one of the weaker songs.
    rockerwannabe
    Good review. I find that AB fans are rabid fans but you kept it objective (well, as much as an AB fan can). Tremonti's solo project and Slash & Myles... now Myles just needs to get his solo effort done. Apparently, that one is years away from now.
    CJSchecter96
    his vocals do sound odd on the chorus but that could be Erock in the background singing too. its hard to tell
    mysticguitar77
    Patrijz wrote: p_a_morgan wrote: My only complaint was that he vocals seemed to be fairly doctored. That is to be expected, especially coming from a lead guitar player that has never sang lead, in a band before. Like the rest of you guys, I've been a Creed fan...then an Alter Bridge fan...and now, a Tremonti Solo fan. I'll listen to anything that these guys do. Also, if you haven't heard, John Connolly of Sevendust and Scott Phillips of Creed/AB are also working together of a project, aptly named, 'Projected.' John posted a snippet on his Facebook page that sounded legit. I look forward to that, as well. Anyhow, nice review. I agree, wholeheartedly. I can't seem to find his fb, but I'm curious how Projected will sound, any hints?;
    John said it's going to have a Foo Fighter vibe. Which is interesting considering the other Sevendust project with Clint and Morgan, Call Me No One, also has a heavy Foo Fighters vibe. Sevendust must be big Foo fans.
    MelCtivity
    I love what I hear and cant wait to hear more!! This is what we have all been waiting for! Thank you Mr. Tremonti!
    Patrijz
    Ramshackle23
    Hmm cant put my finger or it but there is something about the track that just felt....awkward, for lack of a better word. The Riffs were good, Marks voice was ok....i just dont think the song flowed. Just my opinion, and i'll be the first to admit that i couldn't do any better. lol