The Social Network review by Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross

• Released: Oct 15, 2010
Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross: The Social Network

I never thought I'd purchase the soundtrack for a film, let alone two in one year. This year has given me two gems in the Tron Legacy soundtrack by Daft Punk and this. No one goes and buys a soundtrack on pure hunch, you see the movie first. If you haven't, I highly recommend the Social Network. One of the main reasons why I loved the film so much was because of this music. As a review on iTunes stated, "If it were somehow possible, this score should be nominated for best supporting actor because it makes each scene better." I couldn't say it any better. From the eerily simple piano intro to the movie to the more intense portions of the disc, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have done a fantastic job capturing the essence of the movie while also creating a soundtrack that stands on its own well without having ever seen the film. Don't expect a second coming of a NIN disc. Both artists contribute their own musical styles and the end result is a haunting work of art. The album flows well as a disc, taking you through a journey much like the film does. Portions of the soundtrack are optimistic while some are extremely deep and dark. It varies from a purely electronic feel to more classically influenced pieces that are accompanied by minor electronic effect and sounds. Everything meshes together well in perfect proportion at the right instants.

N/A, the album is purely instrumental. The album doesn't need lyrics to accomplish what it does. The mood is clearly set in each song right from the get go.

It's hard to compare this to anything I've ever listened to. At times, there are visions of NIN, but it's something in it's own. It's easily the best soundtrack that I've heard. Some of the clear stand outs are "Hand Covers Bruise", "A Familiar Taste", and "In the Hall of the Mountain King." Not that any of the other songs are any less, those just have some of the more memorable riffs on the album (or recognizable as far as "In the hall of the mountain king" goes). I would certainly recommend this disc to anyone, especially those who loved the film.