Degenerate Review

9.7
 7.4
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
Degenerate Reviewed by: Cheeseman Jay, on july 20, 2010

Sound: There's plenty of reason to be optimistic about the British Metal scene these days. Regardless of your view on them (and whether or not you consider them to be metal), Bullet For My Valentine have caught the public eye. The older generation of British bands, such as Iron Maiden, continue to sell out stadiums acros the world. And, when we look at the more underground aspect, there are a number of hidden gems there as well. Bands such as Evile (who have already turned a number of heads), Malefice and Trigger The Bloodshed give fans plenty to look forward to in coming years. Looking at Trigger The Bloodshed's latest release now then: these boys from Bath play what would be classed as 'Technical Death Metal'. There's no doubt that they're technical and they really demonstrate musical prowess on their third album. Degenerate opens with the track, 'A Vision Showing Nothing' and what a way to kick off an album. The layered vocals are really powerful but I'll come to them later. This band, you quickly realise, is ridiculously tight. The drummer showcases a furious assault on his kit and the guitars sound like they are on fire. The greatest thing that I can say about Trigger The Bloodshed on this album is their consistency. Each song demonstrates these fearsome qualities and remains noticeably different. Changes of pace and moments of quiet give emphasis to certain parts and give the proceedings a head-banging, chest-pounding, stomach-churning power. 'De Breed' is my personal favourite track but only by a narrow margin. There is not one even mediocre song on this album. It oozes quality, from the ridiculously precise instruments to the overall sound. The only reason I gave it a 9 rather than a 10 is because it only has 8 tracks on. I know that's a pretty weak criticism but I think I would have liked a bit more than 34 minutes worth. That being said, it's one of my only criticisms. Stand out songs for me are 'A Vision Showing Nothing',' De Breed' and 'The Soulful Dead'. I urge you to give it a go. // 9

Lyrics: The singer, Jonny Burgan, has a serious talent. In my opinion, he has one of the best voices in the genre. This is high praise indeed for a band who are relatively unknown in the wider community. However, I think it is justified. On almost every song, I think that the vocals are the best part, or at least are a main reason for why the song is so good. The brutality is uncompromising and that adds to the appeal. Looking at lyrics now; I remember once reading an interview with Nergal, the frontman of Behemoth. He said of Trigger The Bloodshed: "Here were some bands on the bill, like Trigger The Bloodshed, who are like super-technical and they're really diverse, they're young guys and they're like shredding and stuff and the drums and the guitars are awesome, I think it's good. But what these new bands are missing, I'm like 'Where are the choruses?', where is the stuff that they repeat and can actually stick in your brain so that I can hum it? I have to f--king hum the songs, y'know!" To an extent, Nergal is right. Triger The Bloodshed don't employ a chorus in the way that, for example, Metallica would. However, there are a number of lines or sections that I've found are particularly memorable and catchy. In 'De Breed', for example, the chant of 'Execution awaits' stuck in my head for weeks. The fact that they don't hinge the success of their album on the quality of their choruses is good in my books. I think that you'll be adequatley impressed when you listen. // 10

Overall Impression: This album steals your breath from the moment it kicks in and doesn't give it you back until it's finished with you. On your first listen, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll be blown away by everything. The album artwork is pretty awesome as well. Overall, what we have here, then, is a genuine star of the future. Perhaps not the next Iron Maiden but certainly a breath of fresh air to the extreme music scene. // 10

Comments