Shatter Review

7.3
 9.6
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Shatter Reviewed by: EpiExplorer, on november 05, 2010

Sound: While not being a huge doom metal fan, a supergroup consisting of Thomas G. Fischer, V. Santura (From Dark Fortress) and Norman Lanhard from extinct melodeath underdogs Fear My Thoughts was a little bit more than interesting. So here's the deal: Heavy, chugging, massively distorted Black Sabbath-esque guitars with the most ridiculous bass tone combined with a unique vocal combination of Fischer makes for a unique EP. We start with the bass heavy 'Shatter', a song of psychological tension that builds up from the bass and drums. It's sort of like trying to figure out what instrument UneXpect will add to their collection. But the ominous low voice of Fischer and the fairly sludgy guitars keep this heavy track together with the addition of some rather excellent female vocals. As doom metal goes, you won't be blown away by technicality at any rate but the harmonies that are employed here are some of the best in slow tempo music: Simple yet powerful and with a refreshed feel to them. It's a rather surprising and although nothing new, it at least has a unique sound. Of course doom being as it is, this won't appease to absolutely everyone and the Sunn O))) style track 'Crucifixus' is slightly dreary. Along with 3 new tracks comes two live covers of Celtic Frost tracks 'Circle of the Tyrants' and 'Dethroned Emperor' which have their own doom-y touch to them through Fischer's morbid and mournful vocals. // 7

Lyrics: Well, it's Thomas G. Fischer. Ya know, Thomas G. Fischer. You don't? Well, then where have you been hiding you hermit? As well as Fischer, V. Santura adds his touch to it through more harsh vocals and a female guest vocalist is featured throughout. Lyrically, it's very simplistic, almost gothic inspired and thoroughly claustrophobic. From the song 'Shatter': The air liquefies as it enters my shattered lungs Darkness enwraps my mind as blood stains your skin My heart pierced by thorns of words that now seem wrong I yield to the darkness of the agony deep within Conveyed through thick instrumentation, it's the perfect thing to slumber to. // 7

Overall Impression: Well, I'm not the perfect person to be recommending this album but it's a pretty good release, nothing amazingly innovative but it's like a nice inhale of strong and possibly dangerous incense. It's also good to see an old rocker like Thomas Fischer keeping the spirit of the 80's underground metal scene alive and to keep the legacy of Celtic Frost intact through this album. Songs to look out for: 'Shatter', I am the Twilight', 'Circle of the Tyrants', 'Dethroned Emperor'. // 8

Comments