Ascendancy review by Trivium

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Trivium: Ascendancy

The guitar, drums and singing are all very good. The potential of this band is incredible. They are actually my favorite band. I love metalcore, and love metal and other heavy genres of music. I'm definitely open minded towards screaming, and I realize it's the new age form of metal. Matt Heafy's screaming can sometimes be annoying, and I really think he should scream less, especially if they're trying to make the status of "Metal Legends." I am a sucker for screaming, and I really think it can work with this band, but there's a lot of times where it's not needed in the songs. They also should become a little more instrumental, and show off their talent more often by adding longer songs and more guitar solos. They also didn't seem to have enough bass. But overall, the sound is very innovative and I have faith that they'll continue to improve.

The lyrics are good, but they are short in some songs. I can relate with a good amount of the stuff Heafy writes. He's actually pretty unique in his writing style. His topics vary in all different songs, and that's very good. It just feels like it's missing something.

01. The End Of Everything - great way to open up the CD. Along with the cover of the album, it shows how powerful they will become as a metal band 10/10. 02. Rain - good song to go into. It was lacking in the instrumentals, but it was definitely worth putting on the CD 8/10. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - good hit single that's very catchy and has good guitar and drums. My only problem with the song, is that Heafy's screaming gets pretty annoying after a while 8/10. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - very good riff. It still somewhat lacked in instrumentals, but it had a good solo. It's another song worth putting on the CD 8/10. 05. Ascendancy - it's a good song. It's worth putting on any CD. It has a great chorus and is very catchy. It just needed a longer solo and it would have been perfect 8/10. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - very good song. It has a good length and a great guitar solo in it. The old school "Hey" chant was a nice touch, although sort of corny 9/10. 07. Like Light To The Flies - my favorite song. The solo reminds me of the solo in Master Of Puppets by Metallica. The length is good, and everything about this song rules 10/10. 08. Dying In Your Arms - it's decent, nothing special. I really disliked the length, and they made it way too radio friendly. I did however, like how Matt stayed away from the screaming in this song, and the riff and solo was good. But in order for them to become metal legends, they just simply need to get rid of songs like these 5/10. 09. The Deceived - not much to say about this song. It's good and it belongs there 7/10. 10. Suffocating Sight - it's way too metalcore. I have nothing against metalcore. But once again, they're going to have to stay away from songs like these 6/10. 11. Departure - this could have been a very good ballad. They didn't exactly ruin it, but they could have added an extra solo. The guitar solo that they do have, is very good but doesn't exactly follow the mood of the song. If they added a slow and soft guitar solo along with it, then it would have added an impressive length and would have made this song perfect 8/10. 12. Declaration - good length, good riffs, good song 9/10.