Ascendancy review by Trivium

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Trivium: Ascendancy

Trivium has an amazing sound. The guitar playing and drumming is incredible, but it could use a bit more bass. I'm a sucker for harmonized riffs, and these guys definately grabbed my attention there. Trivium is one of my favorite bands, but there are a few things that could be changed about the sound, such as length of some songs, more harmonies, longer solos, stuff like that.

Matt Heafy has lyrics like I've never seen before. Almost anyone can relate to them and they are very powerful and full of meaning. Not much else to say there.

01. The End Of Everything - this is a sweet way to open up the album. Nice soft touch, shows how powerful they can be as they're being soft 9/10. 02. Rain - this is a great song. Good guitar playing and good solos as well. I think if they would have had "The End Of Everything" drag into this song a little more, it would have been perfect 9/10. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - amazing song. A great way to follow up "Rain." Heafy has good lyrics in this song and the solos are incredible. The drums are really good in this song as well. One of my favorite songs on the album 10/10. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - this song has a sweet riff. The drums could have been a little stronger behind it, but overall it has a really good sound. Not one of the best songs, but it's up there 7/10. 05. Ascendancy - this song couldn't be any more perfect for the title track. Great lyrics and the guitar playing blows me away 10/10. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - this is my favorite song on the whole album. I could listen to it over and over. The only thing that makes it not perfect, is the whole AC/DC "hey" part near the end. I'm not a big fan of AC/DC and I find this sounds too much like them 9/10. 07. Like Light To The Flies - like one of theother guys said, this song sounds a lot like Metallica's "Master Of Puppets"; minus the screaming. Heafy does a good job of screaming and playing here. The solos are really good, and aren't too technical, like everything else in the world these days 10/10. 08. Dying In Your Arms - amazing song. Too short though. If they would have added another verse, maybe another solo it would have blown the rest of the songs out of the water 10/10. 09. The Deceived - not a lot to say about this song. Good riff, good solos 9/10. 10. Suffocating Sight - amazing song. Great guitar, great everything 10/10. 11. Departure - number 2 favorite of mine on the album. Lyrics are sweet, guitar is good. Can't get much better 10/10. 12. Declartion - good length song, great guitar again, and the drums are incredible 10/10.