Ascendancy review by Trivium

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Trivium: Ascendancy

When guitarist/vocalist Matt Heafy was 18 he won the best metal guitarist competition in Flordia. Rest is musical history. Trivium is most often described as a metalcore band with thrash influences. The influence of Metallica is often cited by the band and obvious in their music.

The lyrics on the CD are non-repetive at least if they are not repetitive. As they are a heavy band the anger etc. behind the lyrics is always obvious and works well with the music. In my opinion Matt is a much better guitarist then he is a vocalist. His scream vocals work pretty well but his clean vocals leave a little to be desired at times. He is at his best when doing his James Hetfield half growl, half clean vocals.

Comparing this album to other metalcore bands, Lamb Of God is probably the only one that's even close talent-wise. The guitar work is probably the best part of the album, with the somewhat repetive ness of the album being its downfall. The best songs on the album in order would be: Dying In Your Arms, Pull Harder, Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation, Drowned And Torn Asunder. If it were lost or stolen I would buy Ember to Inferno, their first album as I have this one on my computer.