Ascendancy review by Trivium

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Trivium: Ascendancy

First of all I'd like to say I had heard of this band a lot but never got the feeling "I really need to hear it." I heard wonders of them and one beautiful day a friend of mine borrowed it to me so I could listen, so I got home, putted the blessed album inside my stereo and I blew my freaking hears off while listening to this wonderful album. In 1 hour Trivium became one of my favorite bands along with Slipknot, Metallica and some other great artists. So, I gave the CD back to my friend and hurried to my local store and bought it (I wanted their first album too, but it wasn't there). First thing I noticed when I listened to it was the mix of various styles of music and singing. Matt sings beautifully and screams also beautifully wich makes his voice completely perfect and great to hear. Defenitly one of my favorite vocalists. Guitar riffs are killing. The solos completely blow me up and the only thing I can do is air guitar and look like a complete freak. I really need to learn them on the guitar, awesome. Drums are great, they flow really well with the guitars. The bass could be more worked though, it's too basic (I can't say much I can't play bass) but it sounds good like this. Well, I've been Trivium'ed.

The lyrics are great. They vary a lot and don't speak solely of violence and stuff like many bands like these do, it goes through a lot of topics like child abuse (A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation), etc. So, I'll give this a 10, because they deserve it.

01. The End Of Everything - this song abuses, it's a freaking great intro. It's creepy and beautiful at the same time. Great sound. 02. Rain - all I can say is "Oh my God!" while listening to this song. It's so powerful. Riffs are great and the drums (specially in the end) freaking rock. The chorus is really addictive, and when I heard the CD for the first time, this was the first time I heard Matt sing, and I was blown away, his voice is perfect - this is what I realized. I could listen to this song over and over. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - the riffs for this song match beautifully with the drums, it gives the song a really great sound, and the chorus, the chorus is so great. It's our curse, that makes this world so hopeless, allowing our king to spread his genocidal wings. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - only thing I think could be a little more worked would be the drums for the first riffs, they sound a bit too slow compared to the guitars, but I'm not complaining anymore, the song kicked yay. This song is really agressive and the lyrics are freaking great. I love the singing parts, specially the chorus, it's really beautiful. 05. Ascendancy - never did I hear a title track so perfect like this. This has to be one of the most agressive songs on the album, and yet one of the best! Trivium, you've done it again! Ascend above the ashes. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - the beginning of this song kicks so much ass, I couldn't belive it when I heard it. I gives such and "authority" (couldn't describe it any other way) sound to the song that completely blew my freaking head off. Yes I like to use the word freaking. Also, this has to be the song with the greatest lyrics. They talk about child abuse and it really made me think about it. Great job Trivium. 07. Like Light To The Flies - when I heard the album the first time, when I listened to this song I could only think "Wow, I've heard this before!" and then I remembered the movie "The Cave" and I remembered how crazy I was trying to know wich band played that song and finally I was listening to it. The singing parts of this song are so beautiful I could even cry, it really wraps me and takes me to another dimenson (I think this sounded a little philosophic, but who cares). 08. Driving In Your Arms - the only full (almost) singed song on the album, and I'm not complaining, this song is completely perfect, only thing: it's too short. 09. The Deceived - I was a little destracted by something else when I was listening to this song for the first time, so when I noticed it was playing, the chorus was playing and I thought "Wow" so, that's what I'm gonna say to describe this song: "Wow." 10. Suffocating Sight - my favorite song on the whole album (well, I love them all, but heck I listen to this song like 10 times before continuing to listen to the rest of the album). This song is track of perfectioness (does this word even exist). 11. Departure - great agressive song. The guitar riffs are so catchy. When I listen to it they keep playing on my head. 12. Declaration - the riffs for this song are something else are they from this world? Because I never heard something like this. Congratulations Trivium, you've made a perfect album. Trivium/Ascendancy has to be one of the most perfect albums I've ever heard. There is no song I don't like, so when I listen to the album, I listen it all the way through again and again. I have it on my mp3 player and when I buy their first album, so will it be. If I would buy it again if it were lost/stolen? Of course! I can't live without this album. Trivium thanks for the great time I have listening to your music.

-=JB=-
    Trivium are AWSOME, one of the best bands I have ever listened to, just wish they would tour down here in AUS lol
    GoodCharloteSux
    I think that the album is praised for "ressurecting" metal. It has its moments but is highly overrated. Matt Heafy is hailed as this god like guitar player when in reality he has poor phrasing and no respect towards the metal genre. Like mentioned before its a decent metalcore album but it is monotaneous and generic.