Ascendancy review by Trivium

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Trivium: Ascendancy

My first impression was "Great, another crappy hardcore band." But I was surprised at how much talent and originality this band posessed. They seemed to fuse thrash metal bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and some slight Slayer with Hardcore stylings like those of As I Lay Dying and Darkest Hour and created "Thrashcore" if you count that as a genre and in my opinion pulled it off marvelously. The guitar playing is simply astounding for them being as young as they are. Matt and Coreys sound blends seemlessly with one another and it just seems as if they're trying to captivate you in theyre music. Like Light to the Flies is a good example. The slower paced bridge leading up into the solo is so captivating I loose myself in it everytime.

His vocals are just so refreshing. It's amazing that he can have such a full and rich melodical voice and also a harsh and crisp growl/scream. His vocals really fit the band and bring that much more to the already outstanding results. His songs seem to flow smoothly with the lyrics like nothing was forced; that it all came from inspiration. His lyrics differenciate from song to song and stray away from the same topic or words used and really makes good use of vocabulary and original lyrics. In their songs they used topics that differ from child and spousal abuse to the media blowing everything out of proportions and exaggerating everything they see and hear.

The whole cd is overall very impressive and to be honest probably one of my best buys in a long time. The whole CD is impressive but the songs that stick out most are Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr, Ascendancy, Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation, Like Light To The Flies And Declaration. I love how it reinvents the Hardcore sound with Thrash influences and blends them perfectly as one. Only bad thing about the CD is that after listening to it a few times it can get old fast but if you stop listening to it for a couple of weeks or so then start back it's almost even more addicting. If I lost my copy I would go and buy 2 more; one for listening to and taking with me and another to keep incase I loose the first one. Definetly a great band. I would watch for them this year as I'm already anticipating their new album.