Ascendancy review by Trivium

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Trivium: Ascendancy

The greatest part of this album is the sound. The riffs, solos etc. It's one big metalfest which is great. 01. End Of Everything - amazing opener. The sheer mellowness of the song leads you into a false sense of security making you think that this album will be calm and mellow and then they hit you with. 02. Rain - this is the first song to give you a great example of Triviums sound. It gives you a first glance of Triviums guitar and drum skills, setting you up for the rest of the album. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Matyr - this is the first song I heard by Trivium and it blew me away. I thought "wow Kerrang is actually playing decent stuff." Great song, the solo is awesome and its ne of my most memorable riffs to date. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - this is one of my favourite songs from the album. The chorus is quite catchy and then come the solo traits which are just amazing. Absolutely great. 05. Ascendancy - the title track is one of the best in my opinion. The harmonies and the catchy chorus create one of the best songs on the album. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - this song absolutely blew me away. The interludes fit exactly into the song and then the huge solo which is amazing. One of Triviums proudest moments. 07. Like Light To The Flies - another one of Trivium's greatest. The solo is one of the best on the album besides gunshot to the head. It has an amazing fast riff in it and the song calms right down at the chorus. Masterpiece. 08. Dying In Your Arms - probably the softest song on the album. I didn't like the solo as much as the rest on the album but it is a very catchy song. 09. The Decieved - here's another one of my favourite. Very catchy chous ("We are the decieved, lost in the foreseen") hell yeah. Solo is amazing too. 10. Suffocating Sight - I think this is one of the heaviest songs. And I love the Still Remains type scream before the solo. Solo is a bit short though but it fits exactly with the song so there's no need to make it any longer. 11. Departure - I haven't listened to this song too much but it's very different to the whole album which I like. Theres even an acoustic part. The vocals are a bit different some places too. 12. Declaration - again haven't listened to it too much but its a really good closer.

Matt Heafy being a very educated man has came up with great lyrics. From evil tyrants on "Pull Harder..." to domestic abuse on "Gunshot..." the album deals with lots of issues in society today and Matt displays it in the songs perfectly.

I think this is one of my favourite records in my collection and one of the most played. The best songs in my opinin are "Drowned And Torn Asunder" and "Ascendancy". I love every bit of the album and there is nothing I dislike. If it was stolen/lost I'd probably go and buy the specail edition of it instead.

enraged monkey
    Trivium is a Fucking awesome band and i love this C.D. to the very last note!
    yep, just about sums them up Slayer23222
    EternaL ReposE
    catchtherainbow : the guitar work is great...but Tool still rules Adam Jones is not even close to being a better guitarist than Matt or Corey!
    xion665
    I find some of these posts unbearable, the true musician/music lover should throw away all classification of music. I hear people all the time saying "oh, im so hardcore, i only listen to underground bands... **** mainstream shit" or "Man, nu-metal is so gay, you are gay for listening to that, you wouldnt be gay if you listened to metalcore" All of that is ignorant and retarded, it cool if you say "nah, dont like em much. rather not listen" But to come to a message board of a band you dont like just to bash them, thats just immature right there. Yeah, im talkin to all you twelve year old wannabe musicians. Respect music, thats all you have to do. I listen to everything, but i love metal the most. ALL METAL. Every sub class that the faggots created. The point is, if you like something, listen to it. If you dont listen to something just because its a certain genre and your friends dont like it... it is YOU that is mainstream. Definetly a poser right there. thats all, kthnx
    xion665
    catchtherainbow wrote: and to eternal repose...u dun need to be a great guitarist to make a great song...if a guitarist is so great..they wouldnt be in bands..and they'd sell albums by their own names...Steve Vai,Joe Satriani...think about it..
    You know, some people actually write SONGS. Not thirty minute guitar solos. If i go see someone, i wanna be able to get into it. I dont wanna sit there and watch some guy play a guitar for two hours.
    MetalDisease
    haha i love seeing you all fight. anyways anyone who has the ozzfest 2005 dvd or went there knows that heafy is not that great at guitar. his volume was all the way down and he messed up atleast three times. i cant really blame him, but hes no the metal god you all put him out to be. and if you didnt see his performance at ozzfest 2005 then dont give me shit.
    master of music
    Dying in your arms is easily one of the greatest songs ive ever herd!! but the screaming, has to go, luckily dying doesnt hav any
    catchtherainbow
    relax xion665...i was just making a point that it doesnt need to be only guitars for a band...and i din bash anyone! hahaha...i just started with "the guitar parts are great! *as a matter of fact..i listened to the album*...and i aint a 12 year old...
    catchtherainbow
    Maynard kicks Matt Heafy's ass any day!!! its not all because of the guitar! its the music as a whole...
    Metallica708
    yeah... these guys are pretty good at guitar. However, for guitar talent taken to the extremeness of extreme, listen to some Dragonforce. Oh, and i don't really like screaming. However, Trivium's cover of Master of Puppets is one of the best songs ever... Better than the original recording of Master Of Puppets (mainly cos it was recorded about 20 years ago). Metallica... PLEASE do some re-issues! Megadeth did it for ALL their albums!!
    Rzan
    Also the guy at the top explains how gunshot...is his favourite song yet he only gives it a 9/10! m8 decieved has an awsome bridge get your facts right
    Rzan
    Most of the people that reviewed this album obviously have no clue about music!In future do not comment plz
    xion665
    lol, that last first long ass post didnt apply to you newayz, sorry bout the confusion. damn the 12 year olds though.
    DaBlackE
    These guys are great, but I wish they'd do covers of something better than Metallica. They had a great lesson in GuitarWorld a couple months ago showing Drowned & Torn Asunder. And dont compare them to Tool, that's just stupid. It's like apples & oranges
    King ofKumbucha
    Dying in your arms sucks ass...but other than that, the album is perfect. I think it may be the best album of this century