Ascendancy review by Trivium

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Trivium: Ascendancy

When I first bought this, I bought it because I subscribe to Guitar World and heard them play the middle riff on "Rain" on their Axendancy column video. I was blown away by that simple riff. I was blown away by it for some reason, and I thought the whole album was gonna be simple metal songs. Man, was I wrong! These guitarists, Corey Beaulieu and Matt Heafy, are amazing. They sound so much like Metallica and Megadeath in a good way. They shred amazingly and sometimes I think that they could out shred some pretty famous guys. Although singer Matt Heafy is screaming, this is a solid debut on Road Runner Records. I'll give you a short description of each song: 01. The End Of Everything - a simple intro song. 1:34 and chimming acoustic guitars playing classical things. Nothing good, nothing bad. 02. Rain - real cool and fast. Has an amazingly catchy riff in between pre-chorus and chorus, middle riff, and interlude lead. Real good and fast. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - a hit single, this is another fast and heavy one. It's real catchy and the chorus is so simple and concise you can't hate it. This is the only track with no singing and one of my favorites, too. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - pretty fast, but this isn't really that impresive. This one just sounds like another metal track. 05. Acsendancy - this song is pretty bland, up until the solo. After that, it's all pretty good. For a title track, it's not that amazing. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - this is the best song on the CD for sure. It takes out all the stops. Heavy slow riffs, fast riffs, screaming verses and choruses, sung interludes and two amazing solos followed by a awesome harmony. When you here this song, you will be awe struck. It's amazing. Buy the disk for this track alone. 07. Like Light To The Flies - this song doesn't flow very well. The verses are real fast and screamy and then it just gos into these slow sung chorus and slow solo. The solo gets good and fast though. Not that good, still. 08. Dying In Your Arms - the least screamy, this song is real short (2:52) and melodic but is a fun carefree one and has a cool fast solo and chorus. Pretty good. 09. The Deceived - real fast. Decent but this track is where the disk starts to become repeatative and not as creative. It still is a good one, though. 10. Suffocating Sight - this is like, pretty not good. Like, it is not that catchy and It could have easly been made a lot better. Not much to say about it. 11. Departure - cool slow intro lead and a nice solo, too. It is good, but doesn't stand out. It sounds a lot like a Three Days Grace song except with a solo. 12. Declaration - this one is probably the worst. Its intro is Departure's but faster and is asically the same song.

A lot of these tracks hint at suicide and killing and depression, as a lot of metal tracks do. Every single track sings about killing, and a lot refrence to "Bleeding out the eyes". Some songs show some hope, such as The Decieved, Departure, and Declaration. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation is about promising a family to kill there abusive dad/husband if he ever lays a finger on them again (A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation, My Promise If You Ever Lay A Finger). These lyrics are pretty creative though. They sing of a lot of things that are uncommon to hear and are overall pretty creative.

Overall, Ascendancy is Trivium's best CD out there. The guitar parts of Matt and Corey are amazing, as well as bass by Paolo Gregolotto and druming by Traver Smith. I love all the guitar parts in here. That's what the whole focus is about. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't buy a new copy 'cause I already have two just in case! You have to buy this CD!