Ascendancy review by Trivium

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Trivium: Ascendancy

Trivium is, in my opinion, what thrash metal should sound like. Every song has intense riffs, sick solos, and a range from screaming and singing. They also have heavy verses are usually more melodic chorus which isn't by any means original, but they do it better than any other band I've heard including Bullet For My Valentine. They are talented all the way along the board.

The lyrics are cliche but good nonetheless. It's exactly what you'd expect from a band like Trivium and they don't have anything extremely complex or anything really that really pulls them apart from the competition. Like I said, they are good but honestly, I can name plenty of bands who blow them away. On a better note, the vocals are simply flawless. It's the perfect versatility of screaming and singing.

01. The End Of Everything - a subtle intro. Slightly boring if you ask me. Good have been better. 02. Rain - good one. This is one of their better written ones lyrically. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - great song. The lyrics are akward. The choice of topic for this song is one that's rather unique to say the least. Still a enigma to me what they are exactly trying to say. Beasty solos. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - another great one. One of the better written ones but one of the least popular it seems. Badass chrous riff. One of my favs. 05. Ascendancy - perfect song to represent the album. In my opinion this song has the best lyrics on the album. Though it does seem to be sort of drawn on out, can't complain. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - another song with a "unique" choice for lyrics. With that said, I don't care for them at all. Not something I can relate to and lacks anything stand out. But the rest of the song is absolutely fantastic. Gotta love the solos and the "Hey" bridge. 07. Like Light To The Flies - the riffs in the verses remind of "Master Of Puppets" by Metallica for some reason(Trivium's MoP cover is flawless btw). The lyrics are lacking here, as well as the drums. Nothing special about it, but still damn good. 08. Dying In Your Arms - most people I've encountered who know of Trivium, know of them for this song which is by far their most popular to date. It's a nice change from the heavy vocals and more of a melodic sound to it and it's too catchy to be legal. I love the solo in this song as well, one of my favorites. Decent lyrics. The only draw back is the drums and the song is less than 3 minutes long. 09. The Deceived - sounds like most of the songs pushed together and out came this. It has a bit of everything. As redundant as this sounds, again great solo. Should have been a little shorter (5 mins+) since it's not particularly impressive. 10. Suffocating Sight - this song was weird to me, doesn't sound like anything else on the album. Drums are good here. The lyrics are unclear and are kind of empty. The chorus makes this song good, very catchy. 11. Departure - another one of my favorites. Slighly slower than most of the album. Lyrics again aren't noteworthy. Wouldn't stick out to most, but I personally think it's great. 12. Declartion - yet another good one here. Not a whole lot to say about it except I feel it's too long (7 mins) and if you haven't noticed, unless it's an amazing song, I don't care for extra length.

Nightstrider
    Trivium is one of the best bands out there now....im sic of these crappy mainstream bands now.....but yeah my main point is that there awesome
    Um, last time I checked, Trivium IS one of those crappy mainstream bands... Honestly, this CD is awful, and so is the band. Metalcore is a genre which typically ranges from mediocre to awful, and these guys are definitely in the latter part of the spectrum. I mean, damn, My Chemical Romance has better riffs than this, and at least they play their music without the pretentiousness this band does.