Ascendancy review by Trivium

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Trivium: Ascendancy

Ascendancy is one of Trivium's best albums to date. Every song on the album is laden with shredding solos that involve sweep picking and other extreme guitar techniques. Matt and Corey really brought their A-Game for this record. Harmony solos are all over the record. One notable solo is "A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation", in which Corey begins with a blinding shred lick and matt comes in after with his wah pedal screaming! They then proceed with heartfelt arpeggios until the exciting end of the solo commences. Another great song is "Like Light To Flies" where some serious heavy handed thrashing goes on! But even then, Trivium is always ready to change the tables with a smooth solo and ending. The same goes for the song Rain. My only complaint is that there really isnt much going on for the bass in this record, but when it does show it's very well worth it.

Matt's vocals are immense. His screaming voice shows deep agony while his singing voice sounds like a speaker in a crowd. Oddly enough his voice is reminiscent of a very young James Hetfield. The lyrics are amazing and they make Matt's points clear. Some of his best lyrical work on the album is Like Light To Flies and Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr.

Definitely their best work so far. outstanding everything. And it keeps you listening even after your 50th listen! Everything seems to fall in place with all of the music and it's very well accompanied by the death metal growl of Matt Heafy and the precise double bass work of Travis Smith.

SpeedCacophony
    BOAT RUDDER, STRANGE MOUNTAIN...THIS LIME! Huh, man that is genius. Trivium suck so much. Awful, mainstream, false, false metal. Crusade is just "so, what would have Metallica done round about now" in an album. Not good, definately not good music.
    metalhammer79
    MAKETHEMSUFFER. wrote: PinkFloydrulez wrote: BOAT! RUDDER! ... I had to strange mountain stomp ukraine that lime
    White, Red Eye
    ExDeath
    I'm a guitarists and am always playing classic rock. I'm kind of new to the hole metal scene. This band has thrown me head first into heavy metal. When i heard their cover of Master of Puppets I almost s***t my self. ALL HAIL TRIVIUM