Ascendancy review by Trivium

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Trivium: Ascendancy

The band has a modern metal sound with heavy guitars, a hell of a lot of double kick drum, and very technical riffs and out of this world solos. It's from roadrunner, who is pretty much the metal record label. I first heard one of their tracks at a Guitar Center, and couldn't find it, till I played the Sims 2 (song featured: Like light to the flies). Trivium is heavily influenced by Metallica, Megadeth, Dream theater, malmsteen, iron maiden, vai, satch, pantera, and many other '80s and '90s metal and rock bands.

Matt Heafy's lyrics are not your typical metal lyrics. Besides only talking about death, (like most bands) he writes about child abuse, freedom of speach, sexuality, etc., racism, tyranical elemsnts, and other things. The lyrics along with Matt And Corey (guitarist's) heavy riffs go like peas in as pod, they form together and the vocals add to the already advanced and technical music. Matt Heafy does quite a bit of "screaming" on this album, and I think has a great scream sound unlike all these other bands that do it, very unique. He sings almost every chorus tho, with a very Hetfeildish sound and has quite a bit of range on songs, Pull Harder..., the deceived, and departure.

Sounds a bit like trivium's first album (duh.) but they have similar guitar work to bands like Testament, Himsa, and Lamb Of God, but the vocals and music overall can compare to the likes of Killswitch Engage, and other post hardcore bands. My favorite songs are Ascendancy, and Declaration, all tho all the songs are completely awesome. I love everything, hate nothing. I would be twelve and keep 2 safely hidden in a safe under lock and key.

Td_Nights
    xion665 wrote: catchtherainbow wrote: and to eternal repose...u dun need to be a great guitarist to make a great song...if a guitarist is so great..they wouldnt be in bands..and they'd sell albums by their own names...Steve Vai,Joe Satriani...think about it.. You know, some people actually write SONGS. Not thirty minute guitar solos. If i go see someone, i wanna be able to get into it. I dont wanna sit there and watch some guy play a guitar for two hours.
    Perhaps some of us enjoy guitar solos?
    xjf91x
    loved this CDwhen i bought it. still listen to it even today.
    Ozzy87_2
    This album was the sh*t. Don't know what to say to the haters. The ones hating this have nothing to do with music. Some guys just consider it's in fashion to hate Trivium. And then it's easy for some narrow-minded people to join this club. You're weak. I feel sorry for you.
    trivium1001
    ExDeath wrote: I'm a guitarists and am always playing classic rock. I'm kind of new to the hole metal scene. This band has thrown me head first into heavy metal. When i heard their cover of Master of Puppets I almost s***t my self. ALL HAIL TRIVIUM
    The same thing happened to me, exept i play bass.