Ascendancy review by Trivium

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Trivium: Ascendancy

What to say about the sound? Well first off, It's great! If you didn't already know, this is Trivium's Second album (and their first with roadrunner). I'll start off with the guitars on this album, The riffs are amazing, and both Corey and Matt can really wail on a solo, which there are a lot of on this album. Sometimes, If you're not paying attention too closley, the riffs can get a little repatative. Next, we'll go with the bass. Sometimes, you can barley hear it, but when you can hear it, you'll know that Paolo is an amazing bassist. Travis Smith (the drummer) is probably the drummer with the most talent in my opinion. He is very consistent and fast. Listen to Songs like "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr" or "Rain". Finally, The Vocals. Matt is an amazing vocalist. He can scream and sing very well. The only thing is, I would like to hear some different tones and variations in his screams to make it more interesting, But overall, The sound of this album is still amazing.

The lyrics range from rape, murder, misery, and all that good stuff. A lot of the lyrics are dark, and sometimes, when you first look at them, you can't understand what point Matt is trying to get across, but regardless, Matt writes some amazing lyrics, you just have to think about them and you'll know what I mean. As I said before, Matt is an amazing vocalist, Standout tracks to prove this (in my opinion) are: "Dying In Your Arms", "The Decieved", "Departure", and "Like Light To Flies".

This album is a great improvement on Trivium's first album "Ember To Inferno". This album does have faults though, For instance, the screaming gets a little repatative, Matt deffinatley needs to try some variations in his screams, but that is not enough to make this album bad. This is probably one of my favorite Trivium albums. They released Two versions of this album, the regular one, and the special edition album. If you get the special edition, you'll get extras like "Blinding Tears Will Break The Skies", "Washing Away Me In The Tides", "Dying In Your Arms (video edit)", and Trivium's cover of Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" Which they cover so well. Plus along with those songs you get a DVD that has A concert and a couple of music videos. The special edition is well worth the price. Anyway, If this album was stolen I would beat the living s--t out of the person who stole and get it back, but if it were lost, I would deffinatley buy it again.

mchugh92
    the one thing i hate is how people come on here and they piss and moan like a bunch of school-girls saying things like "TRIVIUM SUCK GO LISTEN TO SOME REAL METAL" and on other pages they say things like "aww nu-metal is crap, go listen to some slayer and then you will be cool", ok let me say somethin, when a guy stands on-stage with his best friends and they all play their instruments a certain way, they become part of a genre, for example if korn play heavy angst-ful music, they become a metal band, if dragonforce play upbeat, catchy music, at the end of the day theyre still metal, there is no rule book saying that a metal band has to play any way except the way THEY wanna play it, people are too wrapped up in the 90s and what happened at that time with manufactured pop music, and rap music going mainstream and losing its meaning, the only thing is, manufactured pop music is dead, and now a genre that people are calling "R'nB" has become popular, but theyre too dumb to realize that its nothing like traditional ryhthm and blues, its more of an evolution of the hip hop that came around in the late 90s, but on topic trivium did well with this album and just cos they got a bit of media coverage from it doesnt mean they sold out, they (like millions of bands be4 them) just released the right album at the right time, and the media came running, i dont think they even meant to make it this big so early (i mean it took a decade for metallica to hit their peak musically), and at least theyre stable enough to handle it (coughs) kurt cobain (coughs), they just wanna play music and have fun and if any of you dont see that as originality, then you have a serious problem, anyway im gonna stop the rantin now, this album was awesome and i loved it when it came out and i still love it, the crusade was just as good if not better...
    Nathan_393
    I'm pretty sick of the people who insist on genre and labeling people. Holy crap. There's nobody that does that better than metalheads though...
    kfong03
    corrda00 wrote: Guitar solos are what make the world go around.
    yep, thank god for slash and dime
    fr33t0m
    I'm more a thrash fan but i can appreciate this album, and enjoy listening to most of it. Trivium doesn't really keep me listening over and over and over like Slayer and Metallica but I still like this album and few tracks stand out to me(Rain, Gunshot, Pull Harder). You can definitely tell it's a metalcore album, and some people will hate it for that and others love it. I suggest listening to a couple songs from Ascendancy on youtube and if you feel them clicking for you go out and buy the album. 7.95/10