Ascendancy review by Trivium

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Trivium: Ascendancy

Where should I start? This is one amazing album, definitely my favorite album that my personal number one band has released so far. This is the album that got Trivium more widely recognized with a bigger fanbase, and also set the groundwork for Trivium's later work. Their style, I would describe as a blend of classic thrash with elements of metalcore and it gives them a very heavy, melodic style that makes Trivium's sound.

Matt Heafy's lyrics have always been one of the high points of the band for me.They cover very important topics that you don't see a lot of metal bands talking about such as racism, child abuse, and intolerance issues in general. Most of the lyrics are amazing, but my favorites are probably Like Light to the Flies and A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation, which are also my two favorite songs on the album.Especially the lyrics to the latter since they are very meaningful and powerful and talks about things that I am against and that people experience regularly. As for the vocals, Matt Heafy does amazing as well. Even though they aren't the most amazing vocals, they just fit Trivium's unique sound perfectly.

As I said, this was the first landmark album for Trivium, and definitely my favorite release from them so far. My least favorite song is Suffocating Sight. Even though it's good, it just falls short, but still decent, though. The most standout moments for me are Like Light to the Flies, A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation, The Deceived, Ascendancy, Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr, and Rain. I love the album because it marked a huge turning point for the band, though they still had a lot of things to mature with their sound. If this got stolen, I would definitely buy it again.