Ember To Inferno review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 14, 2003
Trivium: Ember To Inferno

After getting Ascendancy, you will want more of Trivium and Ember To Inferno the first release by the band is certainly no let down, the same kind of thrash metalcore sound pumps through this album, but with more of a raw sound, compared to the perfected sound they have on Ascendancy. This band is the real deal a fantastic combination of crushing riffery, immense vocals and some of the best guitar work released in 10 odd years.

The main thing with Trivium that makes them different than most bands, is the fantastic lyric meanings and relevance to the topic of each song put in place by Matt Heafy, and as my friend said to me "Did this guy go uni or something" after reading the line in Fugue "Perpetual unbirth, unraveling distance, clandestine truths unveiled." Along with the lyrics Matt has a unquie pattern to his vocals that makes Triviums sound a bit more recognizable and different, Destroying screams and an incredible singing voice.

01. Inception The Bleeding Skies - this is a good way to open the album and has quite an eerie end of the world feel to it, which is what I think they were trying to achieve 8/10. 02. Pillars Of Serpents - this is a sledgehammer like explosion of anger after the soft opening, a pummeling section of riffs to start and a barrage of soaring vocals through the verse, and the sing doesnt let up until the anthemic break towards the end 9/10. 03. If I Could Collapse The Masses - along with fugue this song has a weird structure the way screaming is followed by a soothing vocal line, quite a good showing of musicianship and proving the music is not too repetative, great vocals and a headbanging open good stuff 9/10. 04. Fugue (A Revelation) - one of my favourites, this song is incredible, the lyrics stand out and baffle to be honest, a good selection of vocal and guitar work as usual in this album, cant say much more, great song 10/10. 05. Requeim - another blistering song, probably the best on here, I love the pre chorus and chorus in this song, it is so catchy, and the opening riff is a real memerable point on the album, good break with a good lil harmony, another great song 10/10. 06. Ember To Infero - the anthemic title track that more or less sums up the whole albums feel, the chorus has to been sang along to and if you can play the verse riff and sing at the say time perfectly, I'd be very impressed 9/10. 07. Ashes - the worst part of this album really, they could've done without it, made it better/shorter/different etc, but I spose it isnt to bad of a breather 7/10. 08. To Burn The Eye - this is a real treat, another favourite. A real good lengthy tune, the great guitar work and the riff played after the verse and under the lines "Burn, in your own hell" etc. really is a head bopping slammer of a riff and has a rather happy feel to it, when you think the song is gonna follow suit to the previous ones and end, it hits you with a hell like break before ending with a brilliant piece of lead work, what a song 10/10. 09. Falling To Grey - Nice tremlo opening, with a lil solo to get u into it, and at this point I feel I must mention the faultless drumming of Travis Smith through this entire album, as noticeble in the verse as the vocals are held up by a wall of double bass. Great chrous as per usual 9/10. 10. My Hatred - towards the end and still no let up, another brilliant track, the riff in this is just epic, (tearing with that little ride dink lol) and really gives the track is feel, another sing along chorus for ya well sort of "how can this be for real, I thought I already killed you" 9/10. 11. When All Light Dies - lets this album die brilliantly and epic ending a I have really started to love, and intro that just feels like hell rising, the lyrics are in a different class, and I just love that little guitar riff in the pre chorus for some reason, now I would give this a 9 but when this song hits its climax and fades out with that witherng, dying section of riffery which leads into the final track, it just makes me give it a 10 truly epic 10/10. 12. A View Of Buring Empires - well after all of that this lets you catch your breath and makes your relise what a fantastic album you've just listened to 8/10. And if all that wasnt good enough the bonus tracks make this album a must have, Blinding tears will break the skies is a fantastic track and god knows why it was cut, the original version of the deceived is a look at the transition of the bands sound and the track demon is a great look at the bands early stuff. If this album was stolen I would shoot th eperson who took it and get it back, I love album and Trivium in general, all hail the future of metal.