In Waves review by Trivium

• Released: Aug 9, 2011
Trivium: In Waves

Here we go, another album by Trivium, that some of you may count as a failure! But we are musicians, and we know that behind each failure... There's a success! Let's see why! The sound, tones, and tuning... All, can help to give you the sound that Trivium wanted to sound like, they wanted to get back to a less SLASHING guitars sound, "maybe" something like the old "Ascendancy"... Matt K. Heafy said that "In Waves" Is the album that they really wanted it to be a TRIVIUM Album, and that it shows the real side of Trivium! Music/Sound: Hearing the album from "Capsizing The Sea" till "Leaving This World Behind" we can easily see that the music and sounds are so coherent, the drums are CLEAR but not taking over the song, the guitars are harmonized but not noisy! The bass is the feeling of your headphones/speakers, and not the clash of your ears! Everything is just where it should be, everything's great! The style featured in "In Waves" is a style different from the previous styles played by Trivium, but CMMON!... In each and every album by Trivium, we say this thing! And then we discover that Trivium can be just in the right place, where the really want to be! Metalcore, thrashy vocals... ALOT of head banging, if you hear "Black", "In Waves" or "Watch The World Burn"... A lot of musical senses... In "Built To Fall" and "Dusk Dismantled" and what makes it a complete coherence, are the short tracks in the beginning, middle, and ending ("Capsizing the sea, "Ensnare the sun, Leaving this world behind"). Your really feel like "We made it, to hear it!"

The idea behind the lyrics in this album, generally, is... I am Against The Whole World! The band promoted the album on its official website, when it actually closed the site, and typed "Do I End This All For The World To See?"... Brave words, there are always challenging lyrics by Trivium's Matt Heafy! But the new thing in this album is the timing and the melodies of these lyrics, just like in "Black" when he says "So Deep, Into the Soul! So deep into the soul"... Or when the whole band stops in "Built To Fall" on the chorus "You're built to fall" and the thing that attracts you to the song is the harmony! The backing vocals are really well done in this record, as we can hear in "Inception Of The End" ("Hands are shaking, heart is breaking"). The lyrics are well put with the music! "In Waves" can clearly indicate that! With the high notes catchy chorus, and the backing guitar plays a simple bass sequence, "Do I End This All For The World To See"... That sounds just EPIC! And we can see that in the screaming in "Dusk Dismantled" the timing of the beats, and the screaming, everything... is (AGAIN) great! Matt K. Heafy never stopped from being a thrash vocal addict! But in this record, he proved that he can sing, EVERYTHING (Everything!)... "Of All These Yesterdays" is a whole new style by Trivium, and it is a success! The vocals in "Watch The World Burn" are weird, but very attracting, that's another perfection!

"In Waves" is the fifth album by Trivium, and they still prove that they can be a different band in each album! This album is just like all the others... A Trivium album! That has all my respect! There are a bunch of great songs in this album! From "In Waves" to "Dusk Dismantled" to "Watch The World Burn" and "Inception Of The End" passing by "Drowning In Slow Motion", and the song that is full of feeling, and great guitar solos "Forsake Not The Dream", but the thing that I really hated about the album, is that there are some songs that just don't deserve being in it! I'm talking about "a Skyline's Severance" and "A Grey So Dark" and maybe "Chaos Reigns"! As a conclusion, Trivium proved that they can be different, always, and always have anticipated albums, and always amaze us! And if I lost this album I will fly from the balcony trying to catch a bird's shit and smash it on the nearest shop to buy it again! Trivium, are still the Trivium they used to be! But this time, with a wider range!

scarter1192
    Really solid album. People may complain that Shogun or Ascendancy is better or whatever, but I love how each album sounds completely different from each other. One thing I noticed in this album is how good Matt's voice has become. His screaming doesn't sound much different, but his clean vocals have improved so much from Ascendancy.
    Amaranth.Co
    I think people are underestimating this album a bit too much. Trivium did tell us it would be more simple. I think with something as complex as Shogun, it would be hard to top. This doesn't top Shogun, it doesn't come close either but these albums are DIFFERENT. The problem with the majority of the Trivium fans is that they can't come out of the shell of Ascendancy and so close minded about that album. This is a good album thatdoes deserve more credit than it's getting.
    BwareDWare94
    All the complaining about Augusto has me thrown off. Didn't any of you see Trivium live with Travis on the drums? Dude couldn't even hold a double bass roll. Kept missing notes and shit when I saw them. It was pretty bad.
    WestOfTheSun
    UG Reviwer. While I respect your point of view, your review is bit single minded, and honestly seems rushed, did you even give it time to sink in before you reviewed it? I think the problem I have with most reviews people have of this album is they gripe about all the same details. That and maybe people need to look at it from a different perspective and stop comparing it to previous efforts. I gave it an 8, its a solid creative effort in a different direction but doesnt seem quite yet matured on this album. I'm look forward to seeing how trivium decide to follow this up.
    GenerationKILL
    AlmostTheMan wrote: Trivium can go **** themselvs!!!.. They're nothing but cocky crybabies who thinks they are japanese!
    Matt Heafy is partially of Japanese heritage. Who let the troll out of his cage? I love this album. Its more focused than I've heard them be in years. I found Shogun to be long winded in many parts and kinda boring. This album has alot of intensity that reminds me of their Ascendancy days. People will always give them a hard time, but Trivium are doing whatever it is that they want with world class execution and more heart than alot of other metal bands these days. This album rules, because it sounds like an amalgamation between their ascendancy days and their newer sound heard on Shogun. I loved how the songs on the new record are all short and sweet. I was put off by alot of their really long stuff in the past.
    TheAbsentOne
    I love this entire CD. Fuck the haters. Shogun is my favorite Trivium album, yet I'm not all "OMG HOW COULD THEY PUT OUT AN ALBUM LIKE THIS AFTER SHOGUN". I think this album is very solid on it's own.
    MonsterMetalMus
    I was really skeptical after hearing In Waves as a single, but i have to say that after listening to this whole album it kicks ass! Somehow, the band actually managed to make an album that can compete with Shogun (it doesn't surpass it by any means, but it can stand up to Shogun and still sound good). I still need to let it sink in a bit, but i'm very satisfied with the album so far.
    Nansho
    Amaranth.Co wrote: thrashmonkey wrote: Really, at the core of it, Trivium are a thrash band and "In Waves" is a good specimen of a solid thrash album. No. Please don't call Trivium thrash, because they most certainly are not. They do have elements of thrash in their music.
    Actually, the basics of their songs are thrashy, but the add-ons , and techniques are metalcore !
    Metallidethium
    God, you people just sit down and absolutely BITCH about this band like they are garbage. Musically, they are absolutely great.. like I just never got people's gripe with this band. Stop trying to generalize them into your anti-metalcore categories and open your ears for a change.. Christ!
    Amaranth.Co
    They do have elements of thrash in their music.
    Pthero
    This album is awesome! Every song is well structured. Even though the intro is one of the parts from In Waves, I think it's best intro to a cd.
    dash-rendar
    I disagree that Nick adopted Travis' style. Nick is a MUCH more heavy player all around but he still has a great sense of groove and time. I'd like to see Travis execute "In Waves" better than Augusto.... Oh wait, we never will cuz Travis is a dick and left one of the best bands on the planet!
    floydrose09
    Nick Augusto seems almost unnoticeable as he has closely adapted the drumming style of Travis.
    are you kidding me?!?!????? Augusto did nothing good fro trivium, Trivium + blast beats = god awful... I want Travis back sooooo badly his drumming was an iconic part of Trivium, especially on shogun ZOMG i loved it!! Augusto can't compete.
    maximumrocker
    Was kind of disappointed...After the amazing album of Shogun this is a pretty decent step down from that.
    EpiExplorer
    The intro song is very odd. Got an 80's vibe though, reminds me of that one Metallica song from RtL.. OH SHI- Shogun is the best they will ever be. This is just without drive or any sense of going anywhere, lacks energy or passion, despite the fairly awesome melodies. They wanted to revamp a sound they didn't have anymore, so it sounds.. unfinished or something along the lines of incomplete.
    OceanSniffer
    Trivium did say that this album was going to be a radio release, which explains some of the softer songs, and cut downs on double kicks/weird timing/ridiculously hard solos I liked the album to be honest, different, but still good.
    Tomura
    I still don't know what to think of this album ... If they hadn't released "In Waves" (the song) first I would have been very disappointed by the album, because I expected something that would surpass Shogun or would at least be on par with it. But the song In Waves lowered my expectations for this album so much that I am positively surprized when I listened to it. I even find this one to be on par with or close behind Ascendancy. (But this may change once I listened to it for some time)
    GosuReece
    i quite liked this in waves for the most part. few iffy songs here and there, but an i the only one who thought that "a grey so dark" could easily be a radio friendly pop song? all you'd need to do is tone down the guitars a little.
    queenslander47
    I love the album. As good as Shogun? Probably not. But I would definitely recommend it. Without doubt their most diverse album yet
    Loki_37
    sliceofpizza
    hmm seems like im the only who thinks the crusade was their only good album. good playing on that one. still listening to this one, but this isn't changing my thoughts yet.
    azote87
    Amazing!! i don`t know how you people compared different styles albums like Shogun-In waves. Different is not bad..
    thrashmonkey
    No. Please don't call Trivium thrash, because they most certainly are not.
    shaymack37
    I like all of Trivium's albums but Shogun is the masterpiece. The people that say Matt's lyrics never mattered never really listened to Shogun. Each and every song is a story, excellently told. I listened to the three singles from In Waves and decided that this will be the first Trivium release that I don't purchase. The guitars are simplified, the drums don't even come close to the old stuff. But the worst part for me is Matt's lyrics, they're mainly just random nonsense. I'll forever love this band but this release seems better skipped.
    aCloudConnected
    Being a fan of Trivium since Ember, I heard the title track and then went on to facepalm for its entirety.
    guitarfreak222
    Guys, This is the first 'serious' review that I have written and I plan on writing more, so could you guys give me some feedback and constructive criticism? Thanks.
    sonicx2218
    It's the first album i kinda liked since ascendancy. Almost half of it was a style I enjoyed, the rest I could not, but that doesn't mean it was bad. It's in territory I can't review though.
    CoolMcAwesome
    that wasn't short at all, btw. also the songs I find are worth listen to are the following: 1) in waves (though not the greatest) 2) Inception of the end. 3) Dusk Dismantled 4) A Skyline's Severance (possibly best track on album) 5) Drowning in Slow motion. (bonus track) 6) Chaos Reigns 7) Shattering the Skies above (bonus track) 8) slave new world (bonus track) Notice that 4 of these 8 are BONUS TRACKS!! wtf? that means that if I had purchased the regular cd, I would only be listening to 4 songs. In other words, I would have brought the cd back, and when they told me "no returns", I'd throw it at them and get a new cd anyway. now I have to wait 2-3 years for a new album.... ****! At least I have the new Machine Head to listen to in the mean time !
    legend shredder
    Loki_37 wrote: legend shredder wrote: @ the third reviewer....Please tell me how this album takes them back to Ascendancy.... I've only heard a few songs, granted, working my way through them now, but from what I have heard, its nothing near Ascendancy. This leads me to the question that I do not want to pose....but have you even heard Ascendancy? Its sorta...nearly all screamed, with sung choruses. This is....well all sung with the occasional scream (from what I have heard). Which IMO isn't Trivium's forte. You're joking right There's plenty of screaming to be had here. It's not about vocals, it's about simplicity. They're backing away from complex/technical skills they moved to with their last two albums. Grr. As far as drumming goes, I really think it's their best since Ascendancy. TC was nothing special, and Shogun was pretty up-and-down, though there were times when I thought Travis was a pure genius. It does feel kinda like they had Nick caged up though. Just a few points on the album where they let him loose and I liked those moments.
    I haven't heard much screamingyet , except for the title track. But I am home now and going to give the whole album a spin. I did say as to what I have heard already, which, granted, isn't a lot. But I agree with you, it is a simpler than their previous efforts. Which depending on further listening may or may not be a good thing for me.
    Disturbed_EMG
    I tried listening to it, and it wasn't for me. Mind you, I've never been a Trivium fan. But the title track bored the shit out of me the first time (and every other time) I listened to it.
    legend shredder
    Yeh I take back my statement of not as much screaming, obviously only heard the songs with not as much in it =3
    ScoutPilfer
    bcrich1234bc
    ScoutPilfer wrote: See, I don't think there is anything I can pinpoint on this album that is terrible, but the problem is there is nothing good at all. Trivium is the reason I picked up a guitar 6 years ago and I've never been more disappointed in my life. First In Flames takes a dive into nothing and now Trivium...
    I would have to agree. I hate to say this, but i was hugely disappointed in this album. To me, it simply lacks the metal. In my opinion its their worst album yet. To a positive note, there are a few good songs for a real metalhead. "A Skyline's Severance" was pretty amazing, and im considering learning it. Also "Chaos Reigns" was quite good. I'm not satisfied at all with this album.
    wraith313
    I liked the album....but it just didn't seem very hard to me. After Shogun I was expecting...something more.
    MeLodicDethMTL
    About Nick I personally don't hate him like some but he really hasn't made such a huge impact... Not nearly as great as Ascendancy at all. I started listening to Trivium when I heard the album and it was because of the drums (I'm a guitarist). God I miss what Travis brings to the table. Able them being live I've never seen them as they just keep flying pass my damn country like twice now. From Youtube it does seem Travis got tedious of touring and kinda went cbf. Nick has the energy but he does fk up quite a bit sometimes, considering that he is a more technical drummer that shouldnt happen :S Discuss
    LeakyFlask
    Reading these comments I realize 'metalcore' should really be called 'shitstorm'.
    SOADriff
    It's definitely a good effort, but, overall it left me feeling unimpressed. After Shogun i was expecting the next bold step and it feels like they stepped back a bit to be honest. Black, Caustic are the Ties That Bind + Chaos Reigns are all awesome though. Overall a little disappointed, it seems like they were just trying to recreate ascendancy and failed.
    Jose1boxer
    listened to the whole album... liked most of it....been a devoted fan since ember to inferno...but kinda bummed because i really wanted to here an album where matt just becomes that overnight rockstar. but i know he will be in a few years. kinda thought it was gonna be more of a vulgar,reload or load album where it is just full on metal.
    bfmvdisturbed92
    I honestly thought this album was pretty average... :\ I'd say shogun is their best, but it's a good thing that they are progressing, and not necessarily staying in the same style. I just expected a little more from them.
    strat07
    im a guitarist, i have no idea of drums i think the album was average 6/10 SRy, Shogun was a masterpiece...
    Loki_37
    It's okay, not Shogun, but okay. I don't get the hate towards Dusk Dismantled. WHY!?!?!? The drumming I actually really enjoyed. Definitely the best effort since Ascendancy.