In Waves review by Trivium

• Released: Aug 9, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Trivium: In Waves

Trivium has done it again with their fifth studio album "In Waves". They have changed their sound (once again) into whole different direction. "Shogun"'s thrashy and groovy sound and long songs are gone, their new sound is more "radio friendly" (as Matt Heafy said in Bare Bones Music interview), very simple songs, simple riffs, simple lyrics, simple song structures, simple everything. There also songs which are "heavier", songs where they only use scream vocals. Trivium are softer than ever and "heavier" than ever, "In Waves" has everything from metalcore to death metal. "In Waves" is simply lacking uniqueness and balls. It is not a good thing when you can imagine some little girls and metalcore kids liking this album. Matt Heafy's clean vocals lack balls, he could be the lead singer of any metalcore band but fortunately scream vocals are great, very powerful and unique Nick Augusto's drumming isn't as innovative or good as Travis Smith's, and some riffs example "Inception Of The End" main riff is totally ruined because of it. Nick sure can play, but he doesn't have as good taste as Travis. Overall the whole album is very generic, and because of that very boring.

Lyrics have taken a step back too. They are repetitive and somehow amateur, childish and "metalcoreish", something that everybody could have written in high school. Examples from song "Built To Fall": "I don't want to hate you, but how could I not". "You killed off so much, I held dear in my heart". And examples from "Caustic Are The Ties That Bind": "can you help me find my way, I've been lost for so long I don't even known where it went wrong, can you help me". I prefer "Shogun" lyrics, although they weren't so good either.

In my opinion "In Waves" is so far the worst album from Trivium. There are only two good and two ok songs in this album. The good songs are "Shattering The Skies Above" and "Slave New World" cover, which both are bonus songs and were released before the album itself. Ok songs are "Black" and "Caustic Are The Ties That Bind". Both songs have something good but nothing to be wowed about, basic songs. It is sad that they have lost that something which made them unique. Changing sound is not necessarily a bad thing, but when you have a working sound why to change it? "Shogun" was a masterpiece and "In Waves" can't get nowhere near to it.