Shogun review by Trivium

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Trivium: Shogun

Let me get one thing out of the way first. Those of you who call Trivium "riff stealers, copiers" or whatever crap you accuse them of had better give this album a good listen. This album seems to blend the best moments of Ascendancy and the Crusade, but it is an entirely new style I have never heard before, seeming to have both the melody of the old Ascendancy and the more recent 80s thrasher masterpiece. Matt and Corey have also changed their style to a more in-your-face shredding for the solos. Travis is incredible on the drums, and the bass is solid the whole way through. The choruses may, at sometimes, sound a bit mainstream, but I think they compliment the rest of the song well. Anyway, it's time to cut to the chase. 01. Kirisute Gomen: pretty awesome opener, you amy not love it at first, but it really grew on me. Travis's drumming is amazing. There is an awesome solo trade off too. 9/10 02. Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis: the best riffs Trivium has ever come up with for sure, starts off with a sweet mellow duel riff ad soon goes into a heavy verse that reminds me of Becoming the Dragon. The solos (there are two) are definitely some of the best on the album, too. 9/10 03. Down From The Sky: the first official single, and rightfully so. The chorus is amazing, and there is one of the heaviest breakdowns I have ever heard. The only flaw is the solo, because it isnt really much of one. 9.5/10 04. Insurrection: probably my favorite song on the album. It starts of full thrash, and alters this it's more melodic moments and pure heaviness. 10/10 05. Into The Mouth Of Hell We March: the song off of Madden 09. Less heavy than a lot of other songs on the album, but definitely one of the album's more melodic songs. After the second chorus the song really steps up. Good lyrics, about surviving a shipwreck and fighting to rebuild, and an awesome solo, yet a bit forced due to the fact that it is the only really fast part of the song. 06. Throes Of Perdition: there is some filler, and some pure gold found in this song. Arguably the best solo on the album, great duel guitar work, but a boring verse and breakdown. This is made up for by the amazing chorus, though. 8/10 07. He Who Spawned the Furies: probably the worst song on the album, almost all filler, but don't worry, the album is about to pick up. Big time. 7/10 08. Of Prometheus And The Crucifix: I wasn't kidding when I said that it was about to pick up. This song is amazing. One of the more melodic songs, but rivals Kirisute Gomen and Innsurrection as the heaviest song on the album. Reminds me at time of Contempt Breeds Contamination. My favorite solo on the album. 10/10 09. The Calamity: yes, it is one of the slower songs, but it's one of my favorite a cool riff followed by a great verse, but the chorus is what makes it a 10/10 10. Like Callisto To A Star In Heaven: there is a lot of screaming in this one. Not one of my favorite, but an insane solo, Travis's drumming really stands out in this one. 11. I'm not gonna spoil this one for you, except that it matches the epic title-track closer also found in the Crusade. 10/10

The lyrics are the weak point of this album. I liked the inspirational and sometimes political lyrics of The Crusade. As the title suggests, this album's lyrics are talking about blood and guts and decapitation and that type of stuff. However, Matts singing has definitely improved, especially in the Calamity.

Trivium has improved every album. This just might be the album of the year. I think it is a little better than Death Magnetic, because of the pure originality of it. If it were lost I would not hesitate to buy it again. I don't think I have ever heard an album as creative or downright awesome as Shogun. But of course Trivium will only get better!