Shogun review by Trivium

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Trivium: Shogun

Trivium, a band out of Orlando Florida, has gone through many changes in their musical career, the new album "Shogun" is a good example of their past wlbums all combined into one; The Crusade which incorporated more singing than screaming, Ember To Inferno wchich was screaming most of the album, and Ascendancy was the landmark album which started them on their path to fame... the album included singing and screaming which was a balance between the two. I bought Shogun the day it came out, the day I heard about Trivium producing new material I went bannana sandwich. The 30th of September was the release of the album and I reserved it the night before and picked it up at FYE the next day. Shogun had a lot of well done tracks with octives used on almost every track. It was a change of pace for them, including the whereabouts of the recording studio, they recorded in Nashville Tenessee which is and always will be the country music capitol of the USA. It was a good get away for the band and they released a great album from the experience.

The lyrics are different in a way from each album, with lyricism that involves suffering, malice, hate, tyrrany and anger. Songs like "Down From the Sky" and lyrical cuts like, "Growing fat on the throne of an empire, tyrant rules with the threat of a great fire" and from "The Calamity", "Drunk from the milk of death's overflowing sick tit nourishing the misery, gives birth to the ugliness" define the suffering and hate that Shogun brings out in the bands ability with words. Matt Heafy(rhythm guitar), Corey Bealieu (lead guitar) and Paolo Gregoletto (bass) all share vocals. The songs on the album have Corey and Matt screaming and singing the lyrics with Paolo as a higher octive to mach the clean singing. All in all I say it was a major step up from The Crusade in more ways than one in terms of them changing and understanding their singing styles and how far they can push themselves to achieve their own vocal ability.

Shogun compares closely to Triviums release entitled Ascendancy in 2005. Shogun, however, incorporates a more advanced tough in terms of production quality and the amount of work ethic the band put into the album. The stand out tracks on the album for me were; Down From The Sky, Shogun and Insurrection. Shogun is over 11 minutes long and switches back and forth to different styles of guitar skill on both ends. It is by far the most technical track on the album, as opposed to their first music video single Down From The Sky, which is a really catchy and really metal. I love that the vocals are ore diverse and incorporate screaming and singing as opposed to what The Crusade was which was just singing most of the time. it's hard to hate Trivium, they have a become a band that you love or hate, and I love em'... but I'll let you as a listener decide for yourself.

anthony4326
    well said my friend.....well said...
    gareno
    more like very well said!
    mtllica
    dear god I love this album, bought it three days ago and haven't stopped listening to it since, hell, to be honest, I was having dreams about getting this album and if that doesn't mean something, I don't know what does lol I'd have to say my favorites on this CD are Insurrection (amazing lyrics and subject matter), Kirsute Gomen, Torn Between Scylla and Carybdis, Down From the Sky, GAHHH!! Who am I kidding? I love EVERY song! Amazing musicianship, lyrics, vocals, pretty much annihilates anything they did on The Crusade!
    Adm1n919
    The unregistered person is wrong about the Kirisute Gomen lyrics. Its "In their wretched guts, all they want is to feed." Not what a bunch of c*nts.
    A7XDisturbed
    AXE187 wrote: this is the album that I wish metallica could have made.....
    Wow dude the master of puppets Metallica is over..Time to let a new band come and blow our faces over. Props to Metallica for Death Magnetic...But SHOGUN kicks MASSIVE ASS. TRIVIUM!!!!!
    A7XDisturbed
    Smithsc wrote: pretty good stuff, but not better than Death Magnetic.
    Way better than Death Magnetic!!!!
    A7XDisturbed
    Jaekae wrote: the screaming ruins the music, cos the one who screams are really bad at it
    Dude for starters use proper english thanks. And second the screaming is the best that you will ever here go listen to Brittany Spears if you can't handle screaming.
    BornToRun
    i like all the songd except the iron maiden cover :S i like iron maiden and trivium but i prefer keeping them seperated this is a lot better tha ncrusade though i liked some crusade songs too (The Crusade, Ignition, To The Rats.. ) DDDD
    Metallidethium
    gareno : anthony4326 wrote: Inthekeyofbmino wrote: JPetrucci25 wrote: fcukinghostile wrote: Shogun > Death Magnetic haha how can people even compare these two bands? death magnetic is on a completely higher level than shogun. trivium wishes they could be the next metallica but they wil never achieve the status of metallica. this album isint bad, dont get me wrong. but dont kid yourself thinking this compares to metallica The ONLY thing Metallica has going for them that Trivium doesn't have is an insanely large fan base. Metallica is nowhere close to Trivium musically, and technicality wise. and I agree that Shogun > Death Magnetic. But as much as Shogun deserves album of the year, Metallica will get it because they are more popular, not because they are the better group of musicians. Trivium will definitely be around for years and years to come. I'm willing to bet that sometime in the not too distant future Trivium will get the recognition they deserve and everybody will listen to them and appreciate their music without being so ****ing close minded about it. well said my friend.....well said... more like very well said!
    LOVE this album. 9/10 stars in my opinion. the guitar work rhthmically and lead wise are top notch. and just to set a few things straight, the crusade does not suck. it was disappointing to fans who expected something like ascendancy but the crusade has a ton of amazing guitar work and drum work on it and despite the lack of screaming and hetfield-esk vocals, the vocals arent bad. but yes shogun was better incorporating the amazing aspects of both ascendancy and the crusade. they have yet to disappoint me and i think every album is good in its own way