Shogun review by Trivium

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Trivium: Shogun

The album starts with a really slow-and-chill riff wich is the chorus-melody of the ending-song Shogun, that's pretty cool (I think... ). The sound of the album is great. Cool solos and riffs. This is Trvium's best album. One thing that makes it so good, is that they have replaced screaming with singing. I know that the album The Crusade has much singing too, but I think the music at that album sounds too much like Metallica. 01.Kirisute Gomen: A pretty good opening-song. It just getting better and better. Pretty cool solo too. 02.Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis: Great song. I specially like the intro. Cool solo too. 03.Down from the Sky: My favourite. This is the first offical single from this album. This is a GREAT song! The best part of the song is the chorus. Pretty amazing solo too. 04.Into the Mouth of Hell We March: Cool song. Not the best of the album, but pretty good. The best part of the song is the "Into the Mouth of Hell We March" part and the solo. 05.Throes of Perdition: I think the whole song is really cool, but the highlights must be the chorus and the solo. 06.Insurrection: A very cool song. I like the whole song throughout. Its a cool verse, a cool pre-chorus and the chorus is really great! The solo is cool too. 07.The Calamity: Very cool. Amazing chorus and the interlude between the chorus and solo is really cool. And again, a cool solo. 08.He Who Spawned the Furies: I can say that this is not my favourite. The only thing that I dont give this a 6 is the solo. 09.Of Prometheus and the Crucifix: A really good song. The melodic chorus and the solo is amazing! The rest of the is great too, but I will indicate the solo and chorus because it kicks ass! 10.Like Callisto to a Star in Heaven: Really cool song. Lots of screaming. Awsome drumming and guitar-playing. 11.Shogun: A very long song. I love the song from the start too the interlude. A cool thing is when you here the chorus, you probably think: "Hey, I have heard this melody before!" And thats right, the album starts with this melody. When the second chorus ends it comes a lot of sreaming wich leads us into a smother part of the song. A really cool melody and a kind-of blues-solo. then it just build itself up, and it get back to the chorus.

I haven't listened to the lyrics too much, but I think the lyrics are pretty good. The singing have changed a lot from Ascendancy. As I have writed earlier, the screaming has been replaced with singing. They have shown that they can scream to they loose theyr voice (like in Calisto and Shogun), but they have also shown their more melodic sides (like in The Calamity, Of Prometheus and again, Shogun).

Overall, this album is f--king awesome! The best album Trivum ever made. I will say it is the album of the year beside Scars on Broadways selftidled. I like System of a Down even better than Trivium, but when this album came out, Trivium was closer to System than never before! I was scared for if Trivium were going to play music like The Crusade. I think that album is really bad to be Trivium.

NagorRoberts
    This Album F***in Rules. 100/10. I've loved every second of ascendancy, yes the crusade was different, not bad, just different. they don't deserve to be criticised for it. anyway, Shogun kicks death magnetic's, Scream aim fire, and all hope is gone's asses. hands down brilliance.
    IainDavies_2
    Ok for all u people hu dont know what you're talking about: matt does all the vocals (screaming included), coery does all the melodies, and solos are 50/50. ive only heard kirisute, down, into, and throes so i dont know all about the album but it ****ing rules!!! they've really found their own sound. i even think the sound was there on the crusade with the songs Becoming the Dragon, And Sadness..., Contempt..., and the Crusade (they all used seven strings and they bare links to shogun).
    Shadowhanz
    I can't say whether or not they will be around for years, but I have to agree that at the very least technically Trivium are better than Metallica. As to whether they are musically... well... thats somewhat up to the listener. I don't understand why people are so sure that Metallica are better, what are they basing this on? That Metallica's been around longer? If so that's a bogus argument. Regardless though, Death Magnetic and Shogun are both great albums, and for me personally they are about equal, I really couldn't say one is better than the other.
    strat07
    Metallidethium wrote: gareno : anthony4326 wrote: Inthekeyofbmino wrote: JPetrucci25 wrote: fcukinghostile wrote: Shogun > Death Magnetic haha how can people even compare these two bands? death magnetic is on a completely higher level than shogun. trivium wishes they could be the next metallica but they wil never achieve the status of metallica. this album isint bad, dont get me wrong. but dont kid yourself thinking this compares to metallica The ONLY thing Metallica has going for them that Trivium doesn't have is an insanely large fan base. Metallica is nowhere close to Trivium musically, and technicality wise. and I agree that Shogun > Death Magnetic. But as much as Shogun deserves album of the year, Metallica will get it because they are more popular, not because they are the better group of musicians. Trivium will definitely be around for years and years to come. I'm willing to bet that sometime in the not too distant future Trivium will get the recognition they deserve and everybody will listen to them and appreciate their music without being so ****ing close minded about it. well said my friend.....well said... more like very well said! LOVE this album. 9/10 stars in my opinion. the guitar work rhthmically and lead wise are top notch. and just to set a few things straight, the crusade does not suck. it was disappointing to fans who expected something like ascendancy but the crusade has a ton of amazing guitar work and drum work on it and despite the lack of screaming and hetfield-esk vocals, the vocals arent bad. but yes shogun was better incorporating the amazing aspects of both ascendancy and the crusade. they have yet to disappoint me and i think every album is good in its own way
    Trivium don't fear to experiment. They do what they like and they do it awesome. They'll become legends. With 4 albums and they're so big now! Shogun is the album of the year for me. It's heavy, technical, memorable and melodic... What more u need! Highh five for Trivium