Shogun review by Trivium

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Trivium: Shogun

Trivium have improved their sound tremendously. Ember to Inferno, whilst a great album, suffered from poor recording quality. Ascendancy and The Crusade sounded better, but still felt like the band were experimenting too much and trying to find their sound. Shogun. Trivium have definately found their sound, combining the harsh vocals from the first two albums with some (massively improved) clean vocals from Matt. Paulo's bass can be heard clearly, and he has his fair share of solos, as does Corey who's guitar work is incredible on this album. Travis's drumlines are imaginative and varied, and adds to Trivium's new-found sound.

The lyrics in Shogun are meaningful and catchy, and Matt's singing has improved greatly since their previous albums. The lyrical high point in many of the songs are the choruses, especially Kirisute Gomen, Throes of Perdition, Shogun and Poison, the Knife or the Noose. The song that steals the show lyric-wise has to be Into the Mouth of Hell We March.

Shogun by far surpasses Trivium's past 3 albums. Every song is excellent, with very few downpoints on the album. If I had to choose a weakest song, I would choose Like Callisto to a Star In Heaven. Choosing a favorite song is more of a challenge, as there are 5 that I would choose. This album is one of the best I have ever purchased, and I hope to see Trivium reach the status they aim for and deserve, alongside bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably buy it again, because the special edition DVD is fun to watch and interesting to see how they produced the album

alex z
    how good is this album i love the fact that triviums solos always sound different u would think after a while they would sound the same but no
    Shadow_player
    JPetrucci25 wrote: fcukinghostile wrote: Shogun > Death Magnetic haha how can people even compare these two bands? death magnetic is on a completely higher level than shogun. trivium wishes they could be the next metallica but they wil never achieve the status of metallica. this album isint bad, dont get me wrong. but dont kid yourself thinking this compares to metallica The ONLY thing Metallica has going for them that Trivium doesn't have is an insanely large fan base. Metallica is nowhere close to Trivium musically, and technicality wise. and I agree that Shogun > Death Magnetic. But as much as Shogun deserves album of the year, Metallica will get it because they are more popular, not because they are the better group of musicians. Trivium will definitely be around for years and years to come. I'm willing to bet that sometime in the not too distant future Trivium will get the recognition they deserve and everybody will listen to them and appreciate their music without being so ****ing close minded about it.
    The only diffence between mettalica and trivium is...METALLICA IS OVERRATED SH*T
    Slayer23222
    I love this album. Listen to ascendancy and ember to enferno everday(don't have crusade), and LOVE the new additions in the band. Torn between the scylla and Charybdis has my favorite solos in it. Truly amazing. Plz ppl stop comparing them to metallica and enjoy the music.
    wrokmygoat
    this is a good album.....it pretty much did what everyone expected.....REMASTER MUSIC!!
    RoySilverMine
    I love this musicians, the Songs are very Good good. very ingenius riffs, i like this album as much as the others.