Shogun review by Trivium

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Trivium: Shogun

The sound of this album was great, you can hear both aspects of ascendancy and the crusade in there just like trivium said there would be. You can hear the differance in the mixing now that they brought in Colin Richardson, it sounds very crisp and as you'd expect the immense guitar playing is mostly always audible, but I found in some places that the singing blocked it out.

Unlike the previous 3 albums there were no printed lyrics with the album, but from what I can hear they are still very like the crusade (only better). There are some cheesey lyrics like eg. In "Into the mouth of hell we march" Matts singing is great as usual (saying that makes me sound like a fanboy, but it's true) and to be honest I'm glad there is some screaming back. The screams vary more than in 'Ascendancy', sometimes they are low and dark, other times they are slightly higher for those choruses.

Over all I thought this album was great (although I would pick Ember to Inferno over any trivium album, anyday) and the real bonus is it only cost me 8 pound (I'm skint and have no money). My personal favourite section, not song, is the dark heavy section near the end of Down from the sky, now-a-days I'm into heavier music and that was a treat for me. Something I would have less of is the clean singing and bring in more screaming! Argh! If I had the choice I would've had this album sounding like Ember to Inferno, but I didn't obviously so I'm happy with the way this turned out, catchy riffs as usual, some nice drums and in the song Shogun the bass is powerful. If this album were stolen or lost, I'd deffinately buy a new one. Maybe I'd even save up and get the special edition.

warrenguitar
    Really cool album with some nice guitar riffs. It irritates me that the song "Shogun" is like 12 minutes long!!!