Shogun review by Trivium

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Trivium: Shogun

I would like to begin by saying that I love all of trivium's cd's (yes even the crusade). trivium stated that they would try to take everything they previously did well and go the next step and I believe they have. they have added great new elements to there songs while keeping the good ol' thrash we know and love. one great example is kirisute gomen. it's begins with a good melody and quickly kicks into good ol' headbanging riffage and in the song there is a riff played that is very black metal esque in that it is very fast picking riff with a black metal feel. now I'll do the expected ratings of each individual song: 01.Kirisute Gomen: good strong melody with acoustic guitars and evolves into straight up thrasher. very good choice for an opener.//9 02.Torn between Scylla and Charybdis: a great tue that has a great guitar line in it. The bass solo is an added bonus.//8.5 03.Down from the sky: the first single. has a good infectious chorus and a great breakdown//9.5 04.Into the mouth of hell we march: just a great song.//9 05.Throes of predition: the standout is the chorus whis a great and mighty one.//9 06.Insurection: straight up thrasher.//8.5 07.The calamity: a decent track. defenitley the weakest track which isnt that bad while the rest of the album is amazing.//7.5 08.He who spawned the furies: this is the most mellow of all the tracks in the beginning but quickly kicks into thrash.//8.5 09.Of promethius and the crucifix: definetly for me it is one of the weaker tracks but it is a great one with a unique chorus.//8 10.Like callisto to a star in heaven: definetly a strong track with a groving chorus.//8.5 11.Shogun: we have arrived at the end of our musical journey but it isn't over. this track clocks in at about 11 minutes which makes it the longest song trivium has made. this track is the classic trivium mega song which is a musical journey of solos choruses and more.//9

Matts lyrics have greatly changed. in the crusade matt's lyrics were a criticism of society and it's faults whic I didn't mind because they fit nicely fit. Same with this album. the lyrics changed with the music. one thing that dissapointed me was that matt said that he would try to push his vocal range like halford on the album but it was nowhere to be seen except on the iron maiden cover they did for keranng. I think that the pushed vocal range wouldn't really work for these songs so I believe that it was for the better.

My overall impression of this album is that it is a steping stone for trivium. It indeed is a great album but it also forshadows biger and better things. If it was stolen I'd buy it again to experience the journey again. The most impressive songs are into the mouth of hell we march, kirisute gomen, down from the sky, torn between scylla and charybdis.