Shogun review by Trivium

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Trivium: Shogun

I've been a big fan of Trivium for along time now. Ever since 'Ember to Inferno' [Yes, there WAS an album before Ascendancy! ], they've been a firm favourite of mine. I also loved Ascendancy, and The Crusade was a decent album, but lacked that spark that the earlier albums gave off. Well, to your joy and mine, this spark is back. Infact, it's not just a spark, it's ignited into a flame. As I type this, I am listening to one of the tracks off the album, 'Insurrection'. This must prove the point that I cannot get enough of this album. The sound in some parts of the album can be very japense-esque, just as the album name 'Shogun' denotes. The guitars have got a new, exciting tone due to the signature guitars for both Matt and Corey, built by Dean. Paoulo's BC Rich bass is sounding fine too, and Travis is on top from on the 'skins. The overall sound of the album is very impressive. Songs such as 'Into The Mouth Of Hell We March, 'Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis' and 'Shogun' leave you almost breathless at how far this band has come, in sound, maturity, and down-right crazyness! As I said, the tone of the guitars is great on this album, and it's been produced rather well too. The solos are top notch, with Solos in songs like 'Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis' and 'Down From The Sky' again leaving you with a feeling that Trivium just got a whole lot more interesting. I actually downloaded this album at first, had a listen.. And the next day I went and bought it. In my opinion, this is actually on-par with 'Ascendancy', and I friggin loved that album for along damn time.

The lyrics have much to do with war/conflict and ancient mythology, including Japenese [Kiritsue Gomen being ruffly translated as 'Sorry, I must take you head']. And 'Shogun' being a higly ranked Japanese samurai officer, I beleive. This can also be backed up in the lyrics: I can see in their eyes They've already died Inside, but as for the outside I'll take their f--king heads Additionally, Greek mythology is introduced, with 'Torn Between... '. The lyrics to this song basically tell how there is no escape from danger. [Read the story of Scylla and Charybdis and you'll get this very clearly, and understand the cleverness of the name]. This, again is shown with lyrics such as: Divided by destiny Torn between death and doom Destruction by decision Fate shows me my open tomb Overall, I'm quite impressed with the lyrics. They are much improved to songs of The Crusade like 'The Rising'. Also, Matt's screaming skills seem to have improved, and Corey and Paolou also have some imput on the album too. Singing is still present on the album, and although it has moved away slightly from the 'Metallica sound' it was accused of having, it isn't a huge change from early singing from Matt. Overall, very impressive.

I wasn't sure that I would enjoy this album, as a lot of 4th albums for Artists can be less then desirable, such as Atreyu's 'Lead Sails, Avenged Sevenfold's Self titled, and Mudvayne's 'The New Game'. But, I was extremeley pleasently suprised. If I was to lose this album, I'd go and buy it again, kick the hell out of the person who stole it or lost it, even if it was myself, AND I'd write another reveiw, just to remind myself how good it is. The album compares sometimes in sound to 'Ember To Inferno' and 'Asecenday', but musically it is much more progressed and effective. Listen to the album, track through track, and it's even better. Especially if you have the normal edition and you end with the track 'Shogun', which I think is the best song Trivium has ever produced. I can't really fault it too much, except a few songs could of been abit more interesting at times [Not looking at you, 'The Calamity'.]