Shogun review by Trivium

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Trivium: Shogun

The sound is quite frankly awesome, it's totally unique, no other band has anything like this. To me this is the best Trivium album, Ember was great but you could hear that the guys were still inexperienced. Ascendancy also awesome but it's a shame that it gave Trivium the image of a full on metalcore band which isn't true. Crusade good album catchy but some of the songs were a bit too mainstream... But anyways, Shogun has taken a bit of all of these and created a Frankenstein monster of awesome sound. Everything about the sound is awesome although some of the screams took some time to get used to (the low ones) but now I love them.

Matt has certainly become an awesome singer whereas in The Crusade he was pushing it at some point making it slightly unpleasant to listen. The lyrics are about ancient myths and legends (kind of like The Crusade's Becoming The Dragon) e.g. Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis which is an ancient greek legend with Odysseus I'm not going to go into details. I'm very much into these stories and enjoy reading the lyrics and listening the song because I find that they have a meaning.

I love pretty much everything about it every song is awesome/pure gold. It's just great and I truely hope that Trivium will be rated after this album instead of metalcore Ascendancy. I'll put all in one sentance, I'm buying a 7-string because of this album.