Shogun review by Trivium

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Trivium: Shogun

I had gotten into Trivium a year earlier than this record. The sound of The Crusade was something very fresh, (though many people hated it). This album, however, is a blender. Trivium stated in an interview, "Each album is going to be the next step". This is that step. This is trivium and their primal. The scream is back, which reverts Ascendancy and Ember To Inferno, while the riffs are still thrashy and heavey, which reverts to The Crusade. Trivium stepped it up on this album. Full on. If I we're speaking to somebody who isn't a Trivium fan, I would make them buy this. It Is Trivium.

The lyrics on almost all of the songs are cleaver and unique. Matt Heafy is very good at writing lyrics that have a certain edge to them, or complexity. The titles fit the lyrics and the music perfectly. The song Kirisute Gomen is a complex song with complex lyrics. They fit perfectly. Along with every other song on the album. Matt said in an interview earlier in the recording process, "When we we're looking for an album title, the word Shogun stood out to me. I kept thinking of how much meaning there is inside that one word. And I thought that the album needed an epic title like that". Epic lyrics indeed.

This is nothing like modern metal today..at all. yes it is fast and technical, but there is a certain shine to it. The sound is still fresh and it is deffinately not chliched. Especialy tracks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 11. They are all very new and amazing songs. (the others are still just as great! ) I love this album because of how new it is compared to metal today. Listen to bands on Headbangers Ball, then listen to this. There is a vast difference. It is so new and inovative. this is such a great album, I own 3 copies of it. 2 bonus editions and the original. Get this album A.S.A.P

bassplayer18A7X
    of prometheus and the crucifix is the best song on the album followed by into the mouth of hell we march, and down from the sky, the whole album was good though.
    queenslander47
    completely blown away have never been that into these guys, i am now, this album is fantastic. the guitar playing is incredible, the riffs and solo's are fantastic. the title track is absolute metal magic. love it, 5 stars