Shogun review by Trivium

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Trivium: Shogun

I was not a huge fan of Trivium when I illegally downloaded this cd. To be honest I was not sure why I did it. But I am glad i did. I hadnt heard much of their music at that point but I was extremely Impressed with almost all of the songs on the album, especially the title track and Kirisute Gomen. Trivium has a fresh edge to their sound that I have not heard since Master of Puppets. I was blown away by Matt and Corey's amazing guitar skills. After downloading all of their earlier albums and listening to them long and hard too, i could definetely see that this band has evolved far beyond the (dare i say it...) Screamo they once were into a powerfull and seemless hybrid of Thrash and Metalcore.

Heafy has a very distinct singing/screaming style. I think that it works very well on almost all of the songs it fit's in with the music very well. Although On a few of the songs, there seems to be a little to much focus on melody, and unfortunately it doesnt't work that well. The lyrics are extremely well written, very brutal at times and also very inward thinking and expressive. It is rare that you will find lyrics that seem forced on this album.

Shogun blows all of their other albums way out of the water, it is simply epic. My favorite songs would have to be Kirisute Gomen, Down From the Sky, Throes of Perdition, Insurrection and Shogun. I absoulutely love Heafy's scream and the guitar sound. I only wish that there was more bass and less filler in some songs. Although if Trivium keeps on this path they made with Shogun, I strongly beleive that Trivium has great potential to be the biggest metal band of the new millenium. All in all Great album.