Shogun review by Trivium

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Trivium: Shogun

A lot was expected of Trivium's Shogun. Some people wanted a return to the Ascendancy style vocals, with more screaming and less melodic things. What we got in return was one of the best vocal performances in modern metal. They claim this album was trying to capture their live performance, and after seeing them live, I'd have to agree. Trivium have polished off their fourth album with absolute grace- this is an utterly outstanding album, with nothing short of epic songs. Although there are a handful of songs you might be tempted to skip, even when you listen to them, you feel like they fit in with the album. They recorded each instrument individually, which I disagree with, but it came out sounding beautiful. Plus, a return to Matt singing the harsh vocals live, which is always a good sign. The biggest step up for Trivium is a more widespread use of tremolo picking, and occasional groove-metal riffs. In the closing track, Shogun, there is even a hard rock solo. That won the album for me. Overall, a beautiful sounding album.

The lyrics are a bit odd, I.e "Into The Mouth of Hell We March", a song which suggests marching is about a shipwreck at sea. Insurrection, in my opinion has the best lyrics, complying with the vocals very, very well. It's a song about the angelic war, which as an idea is pretty darned cool in the first place, with a battle march style chorus. The whole album is lyrically well written, unlike their previous albums which may have come up a bit short lyrically.

Definitely Trivium's best album to date, and if they keep up a quality of this for their future albums, they promise to be a band who will deserve to be in the metal hall of fame. Kirisute Gomen (pronounced Kirry-Stay Go-Men) is one of the best opening tracks on any album, ever. Standout tracks are: Shogun, Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis, Insurrection, Throes Of Perdition, He Who Spawned The Furies, and Into The Mouth Of Hell We March. Judging purely the number of standout tracks I've listed, how has this not already convinced you? The only disappointment for me on this album was the bonus DVD in fact, which promises to teach you some of the riffs from the album, which, to be honest, was barely helpful. If it gets stolen, hunt down the thief.