Silence in the Snow review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 2, 2015
Trivium: Silence in the Snow

Trivium's sound has evolved incredibly since "Ember to Inferno," or even since "Shogun." Having David Draiman produce their previous album has improved Matt Heafy's singing by a large margin. The most noticeable difference between "Silence in the Snow" and other Trivium albums is Heafy's voice. Of course, most fans will notice there is no screaming on this album, similar to the "Crusade." This album centers around the guitar melodies and vocals, but of course there is plenty of signature Trivium heavy riffs, they just don't seem to be the focus of the sound. I would say that the sound on this album is a mix of "The Crusade" and "In Waves"/"Vengeance Falls," just with much better vocals and a more full guitar sound (some of the guitar tracking sounded a little weak and tinny on "In Waves," in my opinion). Personally, I found the tempo changes "Pull Me From the Void" great sounding, and "Blinding Leading the Blind" has the best overall sound of any track, it's just a complete song in every area.

Trivium always has great lyrics, unfortunately, this album has some weak lyrical tracks, most notably "Dead and Gone" and "The Thing That's Killing Me." Most songs do have excellent lyrics, the best being "Blind Leading the Blind," "Beneath the Sun," "Silence in the Snow," and "Cease All Your Fire." The vocals, as I mentioned are very well sung, Matt Heafy's voice has become amazing, which might be why there is no screaming. Trivium write amazing melodies. Period. They have the ability to balance the heavy chugging guitar and smooth melodies better than almost any other band out there. They care a lot about sound quality and production as well, so you know it's going to sound great before you hear a single song.

I love this album. I like to judge an album by the first listen. I rarely fall in love with an album on the first listen, but I did on this one. I later found out that my wife was trying to get my attention while I was listening, but she apparently gave up quickly because, in her words, I was "lost in the music." If you were a fan of "The Crusade" and also like Trivium's last two albums, your gonna go cuckoo for cocoa puffs for this one. Their sound is evolving with every album; that's probably what I find so appealing about Trivium.

And because I'm a librarian, I like to give things a hierarchy, so here is my best to worst tracks for this album, starting with the best (not including "Snøfall"):

1. Blind Leading the Blind
9. Until the World Goes Cold
10. The Darkness of My Mind
11. Dead and Gone
12. The Thing That's Killing Me

I hope you get something out of this review. Now go listen to this album!