The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Trivium: The Crusade

In terms of the genre, this is one of the most dynamic guitar albums I've heard in quite some time. People need to realise that these guys (Matt and Corey) aren't very old, and demonstrate skills that a lot of artists don't have and will never have. They show an array of creativity on this album, and always find a way to throw a meaningful solo or duel in each song. Songs I would strongly recommend are "Entrance Of The Conflagration", "Becoming the Dragon" and "Tread The Floods", Tread the floods has one of those screaming leads that you will be humming in your head all day. Definately have to give them a 10 in the sound department.

The sound off of The Crusade is night and day compared to Ascendancy and Ember To Inferno, instead of the kinda mainstream metalcore screams use to hearing on past trivium titles, fans are now treated to a more singing approach from Matt Heafy. At first I thought there was a lot of Metallica comparisons, but after listening through the record quite a few times, you definately lose the feeling that he is trying to be James Hetfield. I'm actually pleasantly surprised in Matts lyrical content, and at how great he pulls it off. I would've been slightly happier if he wouldve mixed in the screams with his melodic singing tone.

My overall impression of this album is that it is one of the most dynamic records I've heard this year. It caught me off guard thinking it would just be random shredding and a late '80s style metal sound, but they mix it up so well, going from songs like "Entrance to the Conflagration" to "And Sadness Will Sear", demonstrates that these two young guitar players have lots to offer, and you can definately tell that they respect those who have came before them, and taken plenty of techniques from them. An end comparison would be something like take a decent metal vocalist, mixed with thrashy Metallica riffs, and searing leads from a Maiden-esque type tone. Very impressed, any one who enjoys Trivium's past efforts, or anyone looking for something different in todays heaveir music styles should definately check this album out. Lots of excellent guitar work.