The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Trivium: The Crusade

Trivium has come along way from the screams many are used to. The Crusade is one hell of a ride, but like most CDs, it starts off slow, so don't worry. From the hard-hitting, melodic opener Ignition, to the 8 minute trek that is The Crusade. Don't be fooled by the band name, for this is surely one not to disappoint. 01. Ignition - very metalcore intro, but quickly cuts into the vocals, and it's smooth sailing from there. As it progresses, it gets very melodic, but maintains the heaviness that Trivium promised. Matt's singing is superb. Cory and the guitar solo, what can I say? I thought it fit the song, but it also sounds very forced, so that's a point off. 02. Detonation - two bands came to mind when I first heard this song. Pantera, and Metallica. This is a very had hitting, fast paced, kick ass song. The first part of the song is almost thrashy, but can't quite cut it, the last 3 minutes of this song is where it picks up. I'm a sucker for melodic stuff, so when I heard this song change so suddenly, I was suprised. Fortunately it was a pleasant surprise. Since most of have heard this, you probably already know how it goes, so that saves me some time. 03. Entrance Of The Conflagration - this is a very fierce song, though, it seems like something is missing from this, I can't quite put my hand on it. Very good backing-vocals on this song, sounds like Matt Heafy likes to do them himself (James Hetfield much? ). The drums on this track are superb for a man of Travis's age. Like Detonation, this track starts off a bit slows, but quickly turns into yet another epic, the solo goes in perfectly. 04. Anthem (We Are the Fire) - starts off great, though for a second I thought it was going to be a rip off of Alone in The Dark by Testament. Matt's vocals are definately the strong point on this song. The backing vocals are very strong, and everything fits perfectly. My favourite song on the album (well, tied with The Crusade actually). This has an almost Metallica-ish feel (via RTL), but also maintains the intensity that is Trivium. 05. Unrepentant - very awesome intro, heavy and to the point. Matt sings like all of the songs on this album, very strong, and loud. The backing vocals are almost like a mantra, amnd the harmonizing between the band in this song is heavenly. The tempo changes a bit, but Trivium is one of the few bands that can pull it off great, and they prove it with this song. The solo, very short. The solo is what ruined this song. 06. And Sadness Will Sear - this is the weak point of the album, sure it picks up towards the end, but it seems too much like it was just filler. 07. Becoming The Dragon - almost thrashy, it seems too forced. However, it's very heavy, and I like it. Matt is borderline screaming about 1:48 into the song when it starts to get heavy and fast. The riffs are heavy and pounding in this song. This is a great song. 08. To The Rats - can you say thrash metal? Wow, this is easily one of the heaviest songs on the album, fast, hard, and mean, just the way I like it. I think this may be a new opener at Trivium shows right here. Nothing more to say other than this track kicks some ass. 09. This World Can't Tear Us Apart - this song is great! It didn't have the intensity as To the Rats, but it has something some other tracks are lacking. Emotion and feeling. I love this song. Everything flows perfectly into one beautiful work of art. 10. Tread The Floods - it's a bit hard to describe, it starts off very scetchy, bu picks up the quality very quickly. Everything starts off as filler, then the filler starts to flow, creating this song. 11. Contempt Breeds Contamination - great! Starts off awesome! Fast, and heavy. Hard hits, and pounding riffs. This rivlas as the heaviest song on the album. Matt's voice sounds great on this track. Corey does his part almost effortlessly. Nothing more to say. 12. The Rising - a great song, nothing the bothered me. Though, after all this, this song starts to get repeatative. Melodic, then picks-up.One of the slower songs, but it's still great nontheless, and Corey's guitar solo is the highlight of this song. He just lets the notes flow out of him, and into the music. 13. The Crusade - the time has come, it's The Crusade, the big one, the title track. This is the instrumental. This song is in sections. First is the fast paced Trivium-esque section. It quickly goes into an almost Cliff Burton bass line almost reminiscant of Orion or Pulling Teeth. After that little part, it becomes very melodic again. The solos in this are spectacular, the almost natural sound, it comes out as if these four kids were born to be stars. This epic weighs in at over 8 minutes, there is too much to describe, and yet, not much time. One word: Beautiful.

The lyrics were very good. Ranging from politics, to violence, young Matt Heafy has yet to reach his prime, and if he can write this now, I'd love to see what he could do when he's older. I'm one for describing lyrics, so my explanation is vague, for that, I apoligize.

This is easily Trivium's finest album. No other album but anyone in the metalcore genre can compare to these guys. I think this album has proved that they are a step above the rest. I love everything about it, the only thing that bothered me was that the bass was very weak for a man of Paulo's calibur. Since I downloaded this album, I know now that I will most definately buying this in October, and I'll buy an extra copy just in case some ass-clown does indeed steal it. Well, it's 12:24 am, and I got a math test tomorrow, so I'm off to bed. I'd reccomend this album to anyone who likes music. Trivium's finest hour has yet to fall upon them, as I said earlier, I will be there to see it happen. Until then, this epic will stand out in my CD collection for a long time to come.