The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Trivium: The Crusade

A few words: different, and amazingly awesome. Trivium are fulfilling their prophecy that they are "the next Metallica", but it does not end there. Despite what certain magazines are saying, the entire album does not sound like a Metallica album-Songs like "And Sadness Will Sear" and "Becoming The Dragon" are more original, possible due to the use of a seven string guitar, which I personally feel is used to great effect, as it is not the bottom four strings that are only played with chunky power chords and octaves, but there is complex soloing and sweeping of all seven strings. The main theme of the album, seems to be an attack on modern society and problems in the world-"And Sadness Will Sear" is a song about the murder of a homosexual man because he was homosexual-whereas "Ignition" is about how we are destroying Earth with bombs and each others dignity with "Homophobia, Racism, Sexism"-a line from the song of "Ignition" which also features the chorus "Ignition/Inception/Burning is our fuse to destruction/Break the walls of Ignorance/To disarm the world from it's last chance." My personal favourite thing about the album, is Matt Heafys new, vocal style-out with the throat mangling screaming and in with old school 80's style growling/roaring-with the exception of the bridge to "Becoming The Dragon" which is screamed by Corey Beaulieu (lead guitar) who also screams the screamy bits to ascendancy live seeing as Matt has retired from screaming. But Corey's screaming is not out of place, and is done fairly well! The band has also progressed on their instruments-if you don't believe me listen to the amazing closing/title track, the epic, technical, and simply brilliant instrumental "The Crusade", although the entire album is proof of an extremely talented band, with great song writing skills and great talents on their chosen instruments. Matt can now also play more complex guitar parts whilst singing, Paolo's bass sound is more defined and can be clearly heard, whilst Travis' bass drumming and drumming in general is exceptional. Another change is the use of standard tuning as Paolo claims is it "easier to write songs in standard", and Matt also said in Total Guitar Magazine last January "No one uses it anymore so we thought we would try and be different"-and needless to say, the tuning seems a bit more, ah, "metal." Oh and brilliant cover artwork as well.

Matt has defiantly changed his vocal style, and it goes better with he music as well. His voice definitely sounds awesome, and his singing skills have improved. All the lyrics are written by Matt, and whilst some are typical "Stop problems in the world" Lyrics, some have more meaning, such as "And Sadness Will Sear" which is very blatantly about the heartless murder of Matthew Shepard, and "To The Rats" Seems to be about those who doubt and hate-not just Trivium-but most groups, and I'm not talking just about musical groups but social groups, as the line "Break every bone in your face/If you mess with my life" shows.

In conclusion, all I can say is, I will still definitely buy this album, I was just far too desperate to hear it because the 3 songs I had heard were simply brilliant. The rest of the album follows suit. The best album this year, well done Trivium! This album will be a love it or hate it album, but please if you have downloaded the album buy it anyway, to support and congratulate and thank Trivium for this great album. Good Job Matt, Corey, Paolo and Travis. Just release a tab book so we won't waste too much time figuring it out, and credit me for that suggestion.