The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Trivium: The Crusade

This album is clearly a departure from the thrash-influenced metalcore of their previous efforts. For the most part, the band have ditched the "core" suffix whilst letting their thrash roots shine through exceptionally. Whilst I have no doubts people will dismiss this band on previous (metalcore) efforts and/or state that this band is a carbon copy of Metallica; it must be said that Metallica are no longer the same band that they were in the Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning eras and here Trivium continue where Hetfield & Co. left off all those years back.

Matt Heafy has taken a different approach to lyrics on this album. They have been written in a less cryptic manner, and I have to make it clear that I am not a fan of the way he has written the lyrics on this album. Many of the lyrics appear rushed, however this could be because the band are now letting the music speak for them and the vocals are taking a back burner. There are many uninspiring lyrical passages such as "Break every bone in your face, if you mess with my life, I'll mess with your blood" (To The Rats) and "We Are Now A family" (Anthem) which leave me thinking Heafy has not spent enough time on the lyrics for this album.

Many of the riffs on this album are reminiscent of Metallica's Master Of Puppets record. However, using this review for the sole purpose of comparing it to Master Of Puppets would be doing a good album a major injustice. Each song incorpoates elements which let you know this is still Trivium. The first song, Ignition, has an emotional chorus similar to that of Like Light To The Flies from Acendancy. The second song, Detonation, starts of like early Metallica. However after about 2 minutes the dissonance makes way for pure melody and Corey Beaulieu, who many people have previously viewed as the only thing making this band slightly listenable, takes you on a journey of epic proportions with some beautiful sweep passages even more advanced than the guitarwork of previous efforts. This song contains a short, screaming breakdown; however it seems to be used more tastefully to compliment the mood of the song and Matt is no longer screaming in one note throughout an entire song and using the tried and tested formula of screamed verse, sung chorus. Before the release of this album Trivium had begun distributing their video for Anthem (We Are The Fire). This song was certainly different to what everyone expected. This is one of the songs from the album that definately cannot be viewed as thrash metal. Although it is catchy, it is a very cheesy and cliched song, with the cheddar climaxing as Matt sings "yea-aahhh" with a call and response from the crowd similar to the section in Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation (Ascendancy). For me this is the albums low part, however when discussing the album with others it has become apparent that views on this track vary greatly. The song I am finiding myself playing most at the moment is "This World Can't Tear Us Apart." This is certainly the most most mainstream track off the album, similar to what Dying in Your Arms was for Ascendancy. However it is still a very good melodic track with a great shredding solo. I'll be suprised if this one isn't released as a single. Other tracks of note are To The Rats and Unrepentant, to unforgivingly thrashy songs with melodic section and great guitarwork from heafy (who has improved greatly) and Beaulieu. This album is bound to get a mixed reaction from fans of Trivium, and maybe give a few open-minded music fans a new band to listen to. Most of the people that have already been listening to Trivium in the past seems to be disappointed with the departure from the old sound. But although it is different, if you are to give the album a fair chance, you will relalise that this album shines in different places to Ascendany.