The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Trivium: The Crusade

This is Trivium's latest album and is very unique. The Crusade blends many different styles mainly just different types of metal but this sound is very new and different to the likes of Ascendancy 2005 and Ember To Inferno 2003 for starters each player semms to have become more experienced for example in some songs you will hear Matt Heafy doing 5 and 6 string sweeps unheard of in Triviums first two albums the riffsare also much more complex. They obtain their unique sound in several songs by using 7 string guitars they also tune their guitars to Standard instead of dropped D as heard on Ascendancy. In this album Corey's, Paolo's and Travis' sound has remained much the same but with Matt you can hear his new found experience Corey and Matt also experiment a lot in this album with whammy bar squeels. This is an album which I have given a lot of time to I have read various comments and most fans will be Happy myself included with this album, unfortunately though their is a large minority of people who feel that Matt has ruined Trivium by not screaming and some say he sounds like a young James Hetfield but I disagree.

The first huge change on the crusade is the Fact that young vocalist Matt Heafy has given up screaming for reasons he says are because none of his influences scream and I quote "You don't hear bruce dickinson being reffered to as a heavy metal cookie monster." He also says that it was hard to make out what he was saying. The lyrics on this album are no longer about things like emotions but things like the theory of shoot first ask questions later but they also cover unbelieveable topics like dragons in the song Becoming The Dragon he just sings about becoming a dragon but Becoming The Dragon happens to be my favourite song with a trademark catchy Matt Heafy chorus overall it's lyrics are reasonable with the exception of becoming the dragon.

With relation to Triviums first two albums this shouldn't disappoint fans but it doesnt't stack up to the ferocity of Ascendancy their are some powerful songs on this album about the world setting itself up for destruction and then detonating itself into a state of panic and danger the intro track is Ignotion which smoothly runs into Detonation. The title track The Crudsade is an epic 8 minute which in my opinion is an excellent way for each band member to flaunt their skills which they do perfectly. I love the fast paced riffs, The technical solos and the uplifting catchy Choruses this album will stay in my most recently played list for at least a month if some one were to steal this metal masterpiece I'd hunt them down and make them buy a new one and then I'd kill him (of course).