The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Trivium: The Crusade

The band is called Trivium and once again, they're here again with new material that I'm sure, isn't going to disappoint any of their current fans. The insanely catchy riffs, to-die-for solos and generally good musicianship from these guys really show what they have to offer in the new album of theirs. I have to admit that these guys do sound a bit like Metallica, Iron Maiden and Slayer, knowing that those bands influenced them a lot but in no way does Trivium plagiarize them in any way. On a whole, the guitars, drums, vocals and bass in this album sound excellent.

The lyrics in the album aren't going to let you down either. From what I'd heard, there's really nothing cheesy going on besides the songs being so catchy and fitting in with the instruments. Even though lead vocalist Matt Heafy had decided to make the album much more melodic by not having that much growls in this album, it surely didn't upset me even I enjoyed his growling in their previous album, Ascendancy. The good thing is that the choruses are still remaining strong as they were on the album Ascendancy by how catchy everything is. I already had a few songs continuously ringing in my head after listening to them for the first few times, so that's something good to look out for and there's really no stopping you from singing your heart out along with the catchy songs in public.

In my opinion I really think that this album is as good as their other album Ascendancy, and probably even better. There just happened to be more songs that I really like on this album than I did with the other one. My favorite songs on this album include "Ignition", "Detonation", "Entrance Of The Conflagration", "Anthem (We Are The Fire)", "And Sadness Will Sear", "This World Can't Tear Us Apart" and "Tread The Floods". The real stand-outs in this album for me would really be "Anthem (We Are The Fire)" and "And Sadness Will Sear". The whole of "Anthem" is a real treat, just as it is. The way the song's so catchy and how it kind of resembles the song "A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation" by purposefully having a few bars at the end where there's actually a deliberate time for the band to collaborate with the crowd and get them to start following what Matt Heafy's saying. "And Sadness Will Sear" on the other hand is a real head-banger in the intro of the song and the whole thing in general sounds very heavy indeed, as this song's played on a 7-string guitar to really give it that mean feel. Moving on, I think the only bad thing about this album is that the electric guitars may have taken the spotlight for too long and the drumming wasn't too impressive in this album, even there were a few 'wow' moments such as the drumming in "Tread The Floods" when Travis L. Smith gives us almost 20 seconds of pure constant double bassing at over 200bpm a few times. The drumming on this album is really good overall but the bassist on the other hand really wasn't heard. There was just way too much emphasis on the guitar in this album and it would've been great if we got to hear an equal proportion of all the instruments working together. So if this album were stolen, I'd definitely buy it again because I'd miss having everything really, including the insane guitar solos, great drumming, melodic vocals and pretty much having the songs stuck in my head. Anyway I hope you guys found my review helpful and you might not agree with me regarding some things I wrote but it's all written solely on my own opinion.