The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Trivium: The Crusade

First of all, I love Trivium and I love their first two albums. When I heard that there wasn't going to be anymore screaming in this album I'll admit that I was a little disappointed, but after hearing the songs I didn't care anymore. Heafy has a great voice, some say he sounds too much like Hetfield but I think the overall sound of the album is great. it's heavy, it has a lot of solos. Guitars are outstanding, once again Matt's and Corey's ability just blow me away. The drums are some of the best I've ever heard, really mastered the double bass.

The lyrics have a lot of meaning in this album. Heafy really seems to be against people who discriminate against others and he thinks that it is a huge problem in the United States. I'm not gonna lie, he's right. There are a couple of songs on this album that mention homophobia and altough it may seem like "man, that isn't metal" the context he puts it in really makes it heavy. And Sadness Will Sear is a song about a gayman that was murdered. He also has a lot to say about racism because it is mentioned a lot and he also mentions a lot about parents killing their kids. He brings out a lot of societies issues that are going on today and I think it is great writing.

There are so many great things about this album. First off the name of the first song "Ignition" is just a bad ass way to start an album. The next song "Detonation" is not only perfectly coupled with ignition but it is a heavy song about nuclear war. Entrance Of The Conflagration and Unrepentant are both songs about parents killing their kids which is first of all a really heavy topic and with the guitars and lyrics it makes it even more metal. Contempt Breeds Contamination is a great song that shows Heafy's anger against racism, and especially in this song about cops who kill african americans just because of their race. Overall this album is great, it's really new for Trivium especially with the transition of singing, but it is still a great heavy metal album.