The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Trivium: The Crusade

On this album Trivium have fully developed their sound. It was a big step from Ascendancy. There is a lot less grunting lyrics, instead Matt Heafy seems to sing more. The guitars, bass and drums are dialed in and everything is so crisp. The album is along the same lines as Ascendancy but the is more harmony in the guitar duets. Another step forward is that Gregoletto(bass) has a solo on The Crusade. In this album the guitar and drums are heard head-on, meaning the tempo is a lot faster but the is more harmony to somewhat slow down the songs and make them complete. In Ignition, the opening track, the guitar is so fast but you get to the chorus and want to sing with the song. Overall Trivium has hit the mark with this ablum it is so far my favourite album. It sounds as though they have perfected their sound and in some way perfected their genre of music.

The lyrics on this album have much more deeper meaning then Ascendany. A lot of the songs are about taking the negativity in life and surpassing it. But Matt Heafy uses his amazing skill with words and makes the songs a lot more meaningful. In aspects of the music the lyrics fit the music perfectly. From Ignition to The Crusade(the last song) the words and phrases Heafy use insync with the guitar riffs and the bass riffs. What is most amazing is the delivery of the lyrics by Matt Heafy. He picks his time to actually sing the lyrics and when to somewhat grunt them. This skill adds diameter to the songs and just shows how great of a songwriter he is.

This is by far Triviums best album, for me anyways. Trivum said that they are trying to sound like the old Metallica. Well on this album they have done it and then some. I love almost every minute of the album. The only thing I dislike is there is a lot less guitar duets but that is exstinguished by the awesome guitar playing by Corey Beaulieu. The most impressive songs on this album are Ignition, Detonation, Anthem (We Are The Fire), And Sadness Will Sear, and The Rising. If this album was stolen I would most definately buy a new one.