The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Trivium: The Crusade

First off, I loved Ascendancy and everything about it. The guitars, bass, drums, and singing. This album is nothing like Ascendancy at all. The riffs are lame cheesy arena rock rip-offs. Most of the songs sound exactly the same in structure and melodies. I was very dissapointed. The solos are ok, but not guitar hero stuff like they promised. Any one of the solos on the crusade would fit in any other song. It's mostly just fast alternate picked runs staright out of John Petrucci and Paul Gilberts instructional vids. The most dissapointing aspect of The Crusade to me was the singing. He doesn't scream and the only actual singing is on half of "Detonation" I would describe the new voice as a retaded James Hetfield being hit by a car but only worse. each song has the same vocal melody pretty much. "Entrance Of The Conflagration" especially sucks.

I guess the lyrics are ok. the titles have big words, but I think he just does that to be cool, I don't know. The lyrics don't really matter though, since Matt's awful, awful voice drives you insane. I'll give the lyrics a 10 though because they themselves aren't bad. They're probably the least shitty thing on the album.

Trivium keeps saying that this album is really showing their influences of Metallica, Megadeth, and Maiden but all 3 of those bands are exponentially better. I just don't hear any similarities between them and any of those bands except for the voice which I've already talked about. The best song is easily "The Crusade". It has no vocals(thank god) and has some neat riffs but the song doesn't seem to gel together like "Orion" or "To Live Is To Die". It feels forced like they had 15 leftover riffs and just put them together into one song. I would say this song is like the hottest retarded girl in America. She may be hot but she'd still retarded. If it was stolen I would be happy.

Swamplord
    Matt Heafy wants to be a dragon? hahaha. Nehow, I can't wait to grab this album, looks like it will be a keeper.
    Sloofus
    actually I dont deathbyemail. I see a humble band, at least through matt heafy. I tend to remember a little interview he did with guitar world a while back, talking about how he doesn't want to be banging groupies left and right. How he wants to keep faithful to one girlfriend. That wasnt just rubbish. My current girlfriend (but not then at the time) and myself, along with a few other friends went to see Trivium in concert, afterwards we all went to get autographs and talk to the members and whatever. My girlfriend is not a bad lookin girl in the slightest and she oh so sweetly requested a small kiss from mr. heafy. he smiled and politely declined. I think that shows plenty dang good humility. Also, learn how to spell Enormous.
    sk8ero131
    oh ya i fogot to say this soo i completely agree with sloofus the members of trivium and not conceited in anyway at all you are obvisouly not a fan or know shit about them if you actually think there dicks because there very talented, and o ya sloofus u lucky bastard how long did u have to wait to get them to autograph shit?
    gonzo.carl
    fluffylump2 : Not to mention, he's writing about things that happened in the nineties - thus making his lyrics outdated and irrelevant. and his political songs that concern the world's current state ring hollow when he generalizes with the words "gun," or "society" or "policy" or anything of that sort.
    I believe slayer released "seasons in the abyss" in 1990 - and dead skin mask was based on ed geins crimes in and around the 1950's yes? And their new album "christ illusion" has a song about the world trade center from terrorists views... so how you can say that is beyond me. I love this new album, i've always loved thrash like metallica, megadeth, slayer and kreator. (you might have guessed) and this album brings trivium in line with them for me. That's my opinion - they are great. Nothings gonna change that. And I honestly can't see the similarity between Matt Heafy and James Hetfield... bit of a gap there...
    metallifan1
    Jawshuwa wrote: Guitarist1148, I can't say much for the guy you responded to, but actually, I -do- like Trivium more than Pantera. Pantera was undoubtably a great band, but quite frankly I felt the only thing going for them was Dimebag Darrel, whom in my very humble opinion, was overrated. Not too overrated, but people make him look like a Saint. And for the record, I'm totally not seeing where this "Heafy sings just like Hetfield" thing is coming from. I hear no resemblence, and I'm a die-hard Metallica fan.
    Dude, that's a matter of opinion, but Pantera are ****ing gods. no ****ing 19 year old kids can come out and be better than Pantera. Dime will kick Matt and Corey's ass any day. Phil is one of the best singers dude. don't think that he can't still sing dude, he's fully capable. Vinnie Paul is a Legendary drummer in the metal world and will stay a metal god. Pantera was a band full of musical geniouses. I will admit, i do like the Crusade, but i will take a Pantera album any day, no question, without hesitation.
    metallifan1
    Guitar_gOdd wrote: I think that 'Anthem' sound just like iron maiden!
    alright, have you ever listened to an Iron Maiden song? at no time would i ever think that it sounds even remotely like Iron Maiden. oh, and the song sucks. iron Maiden is one of the best metal bands of all time. it's a disgrace to compare the two.
    MylesPetro
    This album is pretty good, but it just doesn't really sound like Trivium anymore. Like, shit. I listened to Trivium for the harsh screaming. If I want to listen to Metallica, I'll listen to Metallica. I like the CD, but Ascendancy was better in my books.
    Machanix
    I thought it was a great album, better than the first two albums by Trivium. P.S. Yay! I got the featured review!
    wingedgopher
    ive never liked trivium in the past but it sounds like theyve improved. ill have to steal this from my brother and see what i think.
    TrivGtr187
    this album and ascendancy were wayyy different they both kick ass and im happy they didnt do ascendancy again its amazing to how much these guys have evolved since ember to inferno. This album was great and it shows theyve matured out of the whole metalcore stuff
    metaldud536
    For those who keep comparing Trivium to Metallica. STOP. There were/is other thrash metal bands besides metallica that you can compare them too. But seriously stop comparing. Trivium does a more melodic version of thrash than metallica. Metallica makes catchy songs.
    sk8ero131
    I ****in luv trivium i dont care what people say about this album i know it sounds nothing like ascendancy but at least there going in a new direction instead of the same old shit, Trivium is the best band out there today or at least in my opinion, if you dont like trivium then dont post shit about them it only shows how bad Your taste in muisc is
    jakemac
    this album sucks soo much, i love trivium more than life but this album has made me go off them.
    fluffylump2
    well i think it has some really great tracks. but Heafy's lyrics actually do SUCK. now that we can hear what he's saying, most will realize that he doesn't know how to compose a song. Not to mention, he's writing about things that happened in the nineties - thus making his lyrics outdated and irrelevant. and his political songs that concern the world's current state ring hollow when he generalizes with the words "gun," or "society" or "policy" or anything of that sort. i think some of the musical composition is also a bit misguided - they might have been too centered on changing their sound and making a thrash album, but most of the songs just don't work as songs. they're all over the place and fall through. and the band's overall self-righteous attitude i think made them forget that to write a great thrash album, the songs have to kick ass. The Crusade does not kick ass.
    rancidrocker
    I loved Acendancy, but this one was a little bit of a disapointment. I dunno, many of the songs seemed really monotonous. The melodies just didn't suit my ears well. Although, I do like "Unrepentant" and "Contempt Breeds Contamination", simpley because of the story-like lyrics. It just seems to be lacking a little something. Trivium almost had it, they were so close, it's just missing that little something to push it right over the edge.
    reverand_godles
    HOLY CRAP! trivium doesnt scream! that must mean they are trying to be metallica! Try pulling your head out of your asses and just listening to them as they are. If thats what they want to do musically, thats what they do. I dont think its as good as their previous stuff in general, although some songs do a good job. But don't come in thinking "THIS BAND SUCKS BECAUSE THEY SOUND KIND OF LIKE METAlLICA BUT ARENT THEM AND ARENT AS GOOD LOL" take them for what they are. Trivium.
    Rob the Tipton
    I really liked Trivium untill they pulled out this album..they're taking "The Next Metallica" too seriously in my opinion. This album isn't horrible, it isn't Trivium. It's a 80's thrash rip off. Like I said its not a bad album but I think they're trying to hard to impress the media or something.
    Jawshuwa
    Black Revolver
    I've noticed that people who slag off trivium still listen to their older stuff, which is stupid. If you dont like em now, then you never would of. Think about it...
    godofrock82
    guitarist1148 wrote: godofrock82 wrote: This album is the greatest thing in metal since MOP!!!!! agreed Haahaha, wow, so you think it is better than Dime and Pantera. Think before you speak!
    I have seriously thought this through!! and Im still with the crusade!! I was never much of a pantera fan as I was to Metallica and maybe thats why I love this album??? Im more about melody and metallica and maiden are the kings of it (not sayin pantera never had it) This album is just simply brilliant!!!
    Schizopathic
    well, I love trivium, they are awesome. They are very talented people that can write some ****in awesome music, but no one should have ever told them that they were destined to be the next Metallica, because now it seems as though they are out to sound like Metallica, instead of making the music that makes them awesome, I was watching the video to Entrance Of The Conflagration the other night on Fuse, and it sounded like Matt was trying to sound exactly like James Hetfield. But nonetheless, I will not hate on Trivium, and I will go buy this Cd tomorrow, cuz i didn't even know when it was coming out, but now that I do, I'll go pick it up.
    Nathanial_ng
    compared to ascendancy, i think the crusade is a disappointment =( my opinion though...
    Fossilized Love
    suicidalmoose
    was dissapointed with this album, prefer their first album - it's as if they're trying to fit into a mould rather than being creative. filling the metallica void should not be the main aim of this band! we need some edgy and exciting metal and this album was a downer imo. But i guess american metal bands are going to be over publicised as trivium have been, if you find this album lacks some fire and passion listen to some bodom or metallica, that'll get your heart started again. if you like it then awesome.
    le screamist
    I love Trivium, they are hated on way too much and dont get nearly as much credit as they deserve. I cant wait to buy the crusade! i love megadeth and iron maiden, and im looking forward to it! "If you're going to kill someone over a CD, check yourself into a mental institution. If you were attempting to be funny, learn the basics of humor." You sir, are a bastard.
    Fossilized Love
    "if some one were to steal this metal masterpiece I'd hunt them down and make them buy a new one and then I'd kill him (of course)." If you're going to kill someone over a CD, check yourself into a mental institution. If you were attempting to be funny, learn the basics of humor. Trivium is pretty tight - I'll check this album out sometime.
    Angels Fighter
    Its an awesome Album, I got it 2day. "The Crusade" the song is so good. And wats wrong with u if you dont like them. i havent found someone who doesn't like at least 1 song.
    supersolus666
    buddy_bomber wrote: jesus, dont be all tough with a keyboard - if you dont like the band - fine - everyone has an opinion if you dont like the new album - trivium didnt say you have to listen to it if you like the band and new album, just say it people arent wrong - their opinions just differ, its human life.
    i completely agree but i would like to add if you dont like trivium - why the **** are you here?
    emr_steelmech
    I like this album because it has no screaming, but I think they should have had atleast half of the tracks with screaming.
    i really miss the clean chorus singing that heafy did on ascendancy along with (maybe more than) his screaming...wish there was at least a few tracks with the scream-sing metalcore style to them...this album, though damn good, seems to not have the catchiness that ascendancy's songs had, whether it be guitar parts or singing. Definently different sound and thrashy feel to it, i give em props for tryin somethin different, even though not as good imo
    korbhag
    Well I'm more than happy to see that we won't see anymore metalcore fans in our next Trivium shows... I just don't get why people starts to hate bands as soon as they do something that could take them to a higher level of popularity on the whole music scene (not only metal). By the way LOVE The Crusade! Almost as good as Master Of Puppets, but definitely the best since MOP!
    mosh_rocker2006
    The past two albums i really like the music...but the screaming just made it plain suck. THIS ALBUM KICKS MAXIMUM ASS!!
    episode_666
    Fossilized Love wrote: "You sir, are a bastard." I'm sorry le screamist, does the harsh reality of my comments disturb you? If so, then you mustn't take the internet so seriously. I merely kill time by seeing how touchy you world wide webbers really are - so far, you're pretty damn touchy.
    as are you apparently
    7_seven_7
    Trivium_Fan13 wrote: Ok, First and Foremost if your gonna comment atleast try to be intelligent and know your facts, thank you \m/ jamie \m/ for correcting thirdeyepried and his inability to know anything about Trivium. Does anyone else realize that if a band doesn't change or evolve, the band will burn itself out and go no where. Trivium did the smartest thing they could, wrote what felt right at the time, and not what the "screamo monkey's" wanted to hear. Classic Album: YES in a few years people will look back at the Crusade and say that is Trivium at their sharpest. I work at McDonald's and I listen to my iPod everyday while at work and all ive had on here for the past 2 days has been the Crusade, I am really soaking it in and loving everything about this album. So to you monkeys who think that the Crusade is trash, I say why don't you write better, more elaborate music and make it famous??? Well I guess that means you can't, oh Well.....TRIVIUM ROX \M/ \M/---Anyone seeing them at the Metro in Chicago SEE YOU THERE!
    **** yeah man. I agree.
    7_seven_7
    Noverion wrote: great album, really like it, i think theres a lot of people who dont like them because they sound "a bit" like metallica and pantera. whats rong with having influence. they albums great. i just think overall theyre not sure what they want to sound like. its on teh same level as ascendacy but completley different. i think trivium have a long way to go though, thyeve got many more albums left in them and were yet to see the best. unless they decide to imitate metallica's downful aswell
    i agree with everything this guy said. except this album being on the same level as ascendancy cos i haven't heard the crusade yet. but i'm sure it will be awesome cos ascendancy is a mad album.. departure is my fave song on ascendancy along with gunshot to the head of trepidation, light to the flies, and suffocating sight. trivium rock. and i don't see whats wrong with them trying to be metallica.. hell i'm 17 and i'd giv anything to be my favourite band and if i had a record contract i'd do just that! like not try and immitate (does immitate have two m's?) them exactly but in the same genre as them at least. but i rekon trivium are doin good for their age. and the name Trivium is a very kickass band name that is all.
    Slashfan_666
    meh, they should fire the drummer and the singer. just like every other metalcore band.
    b-trivium-j-fan
    jees that dude who reviewed each song is a hypocrit really i mean "probably ther best album ever and destined to set them as the best metal act etc." then he goes and ris at every single song dude seriously the crusade is the best metal album of the twetny first century and prob will stand like metallicas master of puppets and bein trivium they will jus get better and better so id like to say that all the bad reviews of the album r bullshit great album full stope from bj