The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Trivium: The Crusade

Here is something that evryone should have looked forward to, a real metal album. The sound brings out intense, fast, old school thrash, the likings of Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Testament, Anthrax, and Slayer with a bit of melody thrown in for good measure. The guiatr playing is fantastic, like some people would sell their soul to the devil to play like that, with tight awesome rhythms, and epic sols and Megadeth-esque trade-offs. The bass and drums sound tighter than ever. I mean for someone their age these guys have unbelievable talent.

This has been my complaint about the last few years with the thrash/death/metalcore scene (whatever you call it). The singing is that same talentless growl/screaming that everyone so likes to copy each other, but Matt has a real articulate voice that seems to just drive the intensity of the music. The lyrics are ranged in ways that some resemble Kill Em All Metallica, that say their going to be an unstoppable Juggarnaut (Anthem, The Rise). Others deal with being a badass (To The Rats), or war (Ignition, Detonation). Most of the others are about murder such as Entrance or And Sadness Will Seer. I mean Matt's been busy writing some teriffic lyrics.

How the hell did they make such an incredible album in just a year? This is just a flawless tribute to the old school, but Trivium is reinventing it for the new millenium. All the songs are great but the best one by far is the insane instrumental closing title track. This album makes Ascendency look like crap (even though I like Ascendency). Look, their are a lot of fans who hate them now, but if you like Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, and Pantera and you hate this album than you hate those bands. If it was stolen I would find whoever took it and murder them brutally. If it was lost I would be pissed for next couple days and definatley buy it again.

random988
    can people stop comparing trivium to metallica? yes the vocal styles r similar but there is noway u could confuse the two vocalists...not once in the album did i feel as if i was listening to metallica
    Noverion
    hmmm, i think im gona comment about the people who are saying "the crusade" song, isnt as good as "orion". Well i guess i used to love orion, bit its so slow and gets a bit boring after a while, i think (IN MY OPINION) that the crusade blows it out of the wster. It alot more driven and catchy, and it doest let up, and then once uve gotten to 5:55 its amazing
    Kymble
    the only thing i dont like about trivium is the fact they play signature guitars, and they try to hard to sound like a genre that imo ended with mop.
    Warheart1188
    KileManA7X
    Oh my God, I thought the day would never come, but I think we got the new METALLICA or something here. This cd beats A7X and As I lay dying to the pulp.Great CD!
    AngryGuitarist
    No, matt h has addapted to a new voice, If matt wasnt screaming in ascandency, he was singing, in this cd ..erm.....not sure, yelling? His singing was great in ascendancy and i wish he could of done it in this cd, however, this is still a good cd, and any trivium fan should get it regardless of matts voice. ...if there are any spelling errors give me a break i just got back from a concert and im tired from moshing and its late =[ i want a cookie
    fluffylump2
    i don't think you understand. selling maybe 200,000 records and having kids talk about you on a guitar site is not "Hollywood." Paris Hilton, handbags, and Star magazine are Hollywood. get it straight.
    latviancheese
    first people moan about them being metalcore, now your moaning cause theyve stoppeed screaming. the band cant win. But anyway they really dont care if you think there crap, they playin good metal for people who appreciate it. They brought back the solo, something which crappy emo and nu metal didnt do. and they sound nothing like anything out now. and metallica and machine head like em. nuff said for me.
    krymson
    Goddamn this shit is awsome I'm going to buy this as soon as possible
    hEadShoVeL
    xX Maverick Xx
    the cd is amazing but the instrumental was terrible and what the hell was with the ad for official trivum thong panties lol "pull harder"
    MyFuriousNipple
    supersolus666 wrote: buddy_bomber wrote: jesus, dont be all tough with a keyboard - if you dont like the band - fine - everyone has an opinion if you dont like the new album - trivium didnt say you have to listen to it if you like the band and new album, just say it people arent wrong - their opinions just differ, its human life. i completely agree but i would like to add if you dont like trivium - why the **** are you here?
    B/c Trivium is potential. They wanted to see what people had to say about them and put in their two cents. It's people who claim cd comment sections like this as their own that gets f***ing annoying. They put this here for people to give their oppinions, not for people to wallow in close-minded fanboyism.
    fluffylump2
    Kymble : the only thing i dont like about trivium is the fact they play signature guitars
    well that's a valid reason...
    Kymble : and they try to hard to sound like a genre that imo ended with mop.
    so it's completely off limits to new bands? "OMG! that thrash sound is so, like, 1986! like totally! they think they can just like, go ahead and make a thrashy record?? whatever! that is so not fetch!"
    shugo449
    I was the first 2 buy this at my local target friday when it came out=) I like how matt stopped screaming but it takes away some of the energy good CD
    megadeth_eoin
    They're an okay band, but very over-rated. I think one song sums up Matts attitude, Anthem. That chanting bit, cmon!! You might aswell put Hetfield singin for **** sake! I listened 2 the album and I definetly think its a dissapointment. His vocals in Ascendancy are much better. Hes kinda roaring in this album, he really needs 2 soften his voice when he hits high notes
    Chimaira_RULE
    i never really use to like trivium but now they r pretty sweet, a next 80's metallica i think... but they could of been more original? who said they r better then pantera? i think u need to take the shit out of ya ears, coz nothing beats phil, darrel, vinnie and rex...
    TheNthDimension
    Nuums wrote: I would say that Lamb of God is Death/Black.. ? or...
    No, metalcore. Almost thrash though in my opinion. Well, the album seems controversial at least...
    njc3190
    This is for everyone here who is arguing: Arguing over genres is gay. There isnt a specific genre for this album. its many things- its thrash, its metal, its rock...watever If u like it, then buy the album. if not, then stop wastin ur time gettin angry at ppl u dont even kno, over the internet. Who cares whether The Crusade is thrash, metalcore or rock. music shudnt b labelled so freely. this whole thing is fuked up cos all u ppl are like, "this musics better than that" - thats not how music is meant to be!!! music isnt something to be labelled as good or bad... its a way of expressing things and its all down to personal feelings, such as whether you understand triviums lyrics or enjoy theyre music. aargh!!
    jumpmanhat
    mullenmetal wrote: godofrock82 wrote: This album is the greatest thing in metal since MOP!!!!! agreed
    this better be sarcasm, Cryptopsy's Once Was Not is the best thing thats happened to metal since the departure of DiSalvo and Martin. ALL HAIL LORD WORM!!!
    hEadShoVeL
    njc3190 : hEadShoVeL wrote: this album is a metallica album and im disappointed in trivium, cant you be more creative ? How can you possibly think that the ENTIRE album sounds like Metallica?? People only began sayin this wen Detonation was first released, and at first i thought so too, cos of Heafy's voice, but then after buying the album, i wondered how the hell that connection was even made, apart from Detonation. Their sound is completely different to Metallica's, and their music is much more technical. You obviously havent listened to the album enough to give it a chance. Why let Matt's new 'Hetfield-esque' singing style put you off? he isn't copying Hetfield, he just grew out of the screaming and it was probably hurting his throat- thats why he doesnt scream anymore. They do take some elements from other music and encorporate it into theyre own, as do many bands in general...its called influence!!! Its just that in this case, people assume its Metallica that they've 'ripped-off' cos thats the easiest band to point to, due to wats been sed about them being the 'next Metallica' - the statement was said, how they could become as big as them, not actually be Metallica! Even if you think they sound like Metallica, this isnt a reason to hate them or the album. Even Kirk friggin Hammett said that he likes the album- hes IN metallica, so if he doesnt have any comments to say about how it does or doesnt sound like metallica then neither should any of you 'New Trivium-sound' haters. I agree that Ascendancy is an incredible album, but if they were to make another record like it, THAT would just be boring and uncreative. Theyre an amazingly talented band hu inspire me and many others. Whoever sed they have massive egos, wat the hell's wrong with that?? if you were as talented as them at their age and had done wat they've done, u wud too!! Anyway, i'm with them all the way! The Crusade is another great album by Trivium and anybody hu disagrees will die!
    ah The new album is also un creative and boring, Acendency was more catchier then this rip off, im a trivium fan, but not a rip-off fan, Kirk Hammett might say he like but that doesnt make any difference, he probably see his old-self in the album anyway
    emr_steelmech
    latviancheese : first people moan about them being metalcore, now your moaning cause theyve stoppeed screaming. the band cant win. But anyway they really dont care if you think there crap, they playin good metal for people who appreciate it. They brought back the solo, something which crappy emo and nu metal didnt do.
    i dont know if the solo ever really went away, but Trivium definently made you go, "oh hell yeah i remember now--guitars can be played fast" --and that was even when they were metalcore. The new thrash stuff seems just as fast or faster, though in my opinion less catchy and memorable than the riffage on ascendancy. And off topic, am I the only person that thinks DAMAGEPLAN "beats phil, darrel, vinnie and rex"?
    morello_man
    DaveGilmour1189 wrote: best album metallica has put out in a good while
    so well put. so well put. metallica changed, but the songs didn't sound like a complete rip of another band. Trivium's new stuff is unoriginal.
    ZarDac
    Pantera are good but not that great. That just an opinion. Anyways Hanson is the greatest band ever!!!!!
    shugo449
    latviancheese wrote: first people moan about them being metalcore, now your moaning cause theyve stoppeed screaming. the band cant win. But anyway they really dont care if you think there crap, they playin good metal for people who appreciate it. They brought back the solo, something which crappy emo and nu metal didnt do.
    true true
    [faint]
    ok, i think trivium owns. but some of the critisim is valid. at first i was a bit disappointed that the crusade was not metalcore. but eventually i loved the album for what is, and i didnt hate it for what it wasnt. remember they are young so they cant yet be compared to the experianced awsomeness that is metallica, iron madden, lamb of god etc. for their experiance their skills are exeptional and im glad to see somone acually busts out good solos these days. but as songwriters and song creators they are still learning and that maturity will come. but for there experiance and age they are a clearly a step above other bands with the same credentials. the thing that makes them great is the massive potential and already we are seeing it. they WILL become great
    SkinnyWhiteBoy
    Meh, I only like Boat Rudder and Light To Flies. They're not that spectacular, but they sometimes strike gold.
    njc3190
    hehe im not angry, im tryin to get my point across! i guess if u think its fun then theres nout i can do lol
    carcass_prowler
    metallifan1 : Guitar_gOdd wrote: I think that 'Anthem' sound just like iron maiden! alright, have you ever listened to an Iron Maiden song? at no time would i ever think that it sounds even remotely like Iron Maiden. oh, and the song sucks. iron Maiden is one of the best metal bands of all time. it's a disgrace to compare the two.
    I agree
    Ktulu bassist
    Lyrics are excellent? We are the fire, to the rats haha please Trivium stick to what your good at and i dont know what that is but it is not thrash p.s ascendancy is overated feckin pop metal
    poona
    I love Trivium, but the thing with Matt and the rest of the band is, they are Metallica fanboys, they worship Metallica, and by kissing 'Tallica ass, Trivium loses credibility. Not saying that you shouldn't give credit to the ones that influence you, but the way Trivium got the crowd cheering for Metallica on their own set was a really foolish move. And latviancheese, there is nothing wrong with nu-metal, there are many good nu-bands like Spipknot, Sevendust etc. Besides, solos aren't the most important thing in a song, its the songwriting skills that count and that was what nu-metal wanted to emphasize. Sadly, many bands of this genre weren't very good songwriters.
    shugo449
    Warheart1188 wrote: I personally think Trivium isn't that good of a band. They change so much, the new Trivium isn't as good as the old. Tne lyrics on this cd are not that well written and the music....theres something about it..that sparks no interest in me what so ever. It seems that they're actually trying to be the new Metallica.
    yay, something changed, there not as raw and trash as before, still great disk, but something happened
    dann_blood
    I love this album... although the new Lamb of God album (Sacrament) really did it for me... this is a few points short.
    deathbyungabung
    Ok I admit the instruments were good, but they lack originality alot more than on ascendancy, and second of all Matt Heafy's hardcore screaming and his mix of alittle harmonizing is waht got me into Trivium, but they cut down on the hardcore screaming alot, I'm a big fan of Lamb of God and Ascendancy was in the same league as probably Sacrament, but I think crusade is a step down from as hardcore as they were.
    ZarDac
    Fuck all of these labels. If you look up any genre of metal or rock in most stores they will be under Pop/Rock. So I gonna label Trivium, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, all Pop/Rock. I know that some stores aren't like that though. All bands are Pop/Rock from now on, end of story. No agruements please.
    LightningboltX
    Machanix,WOW,I can't belive you wrote that you like it fast,hard and mean.The most hilarious thing I've ever read.
    unknownalone
    entertainment, you guys are so immature, but at the same time very funny, gettin so bent out of shape over a band changing their sound and someone saying they suck..big whoop, bands do it everyday...trivium are cool, nothing great though
    phatschitz2156
    Everyone just needs to get a life and accept that Trivium is just awesome. sure the crusade isnt as good as ascendency but we all know that. you dont have to point it out. and is it me or does "to the rats" kinda sound slayerish.[/i]
    DevilMayCare
    I've heard a few tracks and...I'm probably not going to bother buying it. There's nothing BAD as such...it's just too....uninteresting for me for some reason. Oh well, plenty more fish in the sea