The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Trivium: The Crusade

This album is a long way from the Trivium we all fell in love with back in the days of "Ascendency". Arguably the heaviset of the Trivium alums but the guitar seems to be lacking weight and order. This is a thrash metal album to be sure and no other label can be realisticly put on it. The riffs are played to a speed of that we have never herd from Trivium but this almost makes it sound out of control to the point that you know their f--ked if they drop their pick's. The skill is remarkable though and the melodci patterns and pitch shitfs are beyond reason. Fans of early Megadeath will like the new sound.

Heafys, it seems, was better off screaming. Fans of Triviums second album are going to be dissapointed with his vocals on this album. Some think that he is'nt able to scream any more because his voice has blown. This is a possibility. A lot of people are comparing the vocals too a lot of early Metallica tracks but Heafys vocals just arnt as strong as James Hetfields. We still get a bit of the Trivium through a bit of Corey screaming but it isnt enough to impress as his screams were never the strongest of the duo.

It is clear to see the Ascendency is the strongest album Trium has released becuase The Crusade just doesn't have the tracks that make a good metal album. The Crusade track does show serious potential as listeners are reminded of Metallica through this blistering instrumental and "The Anthem" could be an extremly popular track but the album just doesnt't have songs that stick in your head like "Ember To Inferno", "Pull Harder" and "Like Light To Flies" did. The guitar skills are amazing and the solo's have improved massively on former songs but this just isnt Trivium.

blsjunkieSDMF
    WOW THE BANDS NAME IS TRIVIUM they dont sound like metallica at all. did hetfield invent signing in a raspy voice? Or do all new metal bands have to scream.also im sure if from now on i wanted to be referred to as the next zakk wylde you would all comply am i correct?
    Kaban
    they got decent guitar skills, a little repetetive and "instructional video" sounding, but pretty solid. vocals imho suck, those harmonized vocal lines totally kill the overall "thrashy" feel of the guitars. guess that's what metalcore is all about. and yeah, I hear too much metallica here, if they are looking for inspiration maybe someone should give them some slayer and pantera CDs
    Crimsoned
    yea demon hunter's good... Trivium have a nice sound to them but its true that metallica's influence is really evident in The Crusade.. Nevertheless they got good music...
    triviumrocks
    the crusade irritates me a little. they sold out on their screaming to please all you mainstream sheep like metallica99. i was expecting a little more from them, but i can say that they are both definitely guitar gods in the making. they should stop trying to be the next metallica and foccus on being the next trivium. i have moved on to demon hunter and afterimage at this point but i still listen to triv occasionally. when they throw out another masterpiece like Ascendancy, i will start giving them more time. i would rather listen to metallica then listen to trivium trying to be them. and the music video to anthem is moronic. another mansion and another look what you dont have. i am sick of the whole "next metallica" thing. maybe if they got labled that, but they werent, they made that gimmik up themselves. people dont want to see a next metallica, they want to see what trivium are capable of. LETS SEE IT
    Zerodin
    I half way agree. It is a good album...but it does sound liek a metallica rip off. We want a new Master Of Puppets in the since of the musical impact. Not another Litteral Master Of Puppets. I like the last album alot more.
    -andrew-andrew-
    it doesnt take a whole lot of talent to rip off metallica i dont know how this could be called the future of metal its a bunch of hardcore people who listened 2 metallica then wanted to become them
    xX Maverick Xx
    the lyrics are horrible but the album is still pretty good. personal fav is entrance to the confredi-something
    x0rsist
    Amazing album! absolutley amazing, his voice is way more unique sounding than hetfileds, listen to it it has its own trviium feel, jus like the instruments, solos and everything on this album does. Bloody amazing easily one of the best 2006 releases along with the likes of unearth and all that remains.
    :Revenga:
    How can someone say Trivium are good but Metallica suck? God, that guys such a boabson
    Sephirangel
    i continually flammed this album when i first heard some of the stuff on it but i bought it anyway and i have never made a better decision This album has everything i love about metal on it, and its catchy as hell! personal favourite: Ignition
    Protestfan
    i Totally Agree With U, Kudos
    CheifSlapAhoe wrote: Ascendancy is an amazing album. We also know that The Crusade is a total copy of Metallica. Here are the facts about it though The album isnt that bad i've listened to it; its just a diffrent style of music. The problem is... compared to Ascendancy is a peice of shit... espically if you liked matt's screaming; that to me was a big part of the feel to Trivium. But since in the new album he doesnt do that and instead he attempts to do some James Hetfeild vocals. The result is a bad follow up album which brings a huge dissapointment to some fans. I give it a 1.5/5
    CheifSlapAhoe
    CheifSlapAhoe
    Okay if you want to know the real deal about the trivium cd's read this Okay well we all know
    Protestfan
    i miss Old Trivium... Gonna See Em Tomorrow Night But it won't be the same Protest The Hero Will Cheer Me Up Though
    mastag215
    idk... i think ascendancy was better and i liked their general sound of them in ascendancy and ember to inferno. they semmed to have changed their sound, but i'm a big fan of the shredding-screaming-angry -i'm-going-to-tear-a-hole -in-some one vibe...
    artificialH
    7_seven_7 wrote: wow, its funny.. but correct me if i'm wrong.. but someones ego doesn't really affect how the music comes out.
    Er, I never implied that their ego's shapes their music so learn to read next time idiot. Listen to it and read what I said, generic riffs, generic solos (how many times have we heard them shred), generic use of instruments and less use of guitar harmony which worked so well on their previous albums. Plus Matt's singing sounds worse here then on Ascendancy which was actually one of the highlights for me. Oh and he tries so hard to sound like Hetfield its just not funny.
    7_seven_7 wrote: and trivium is a band, a band makes music for you to listen to. who listens to a song and goes OMG he has the hugest ego i totally hate this band.
    I was a very big fan of Trivium pre-Crusade, so don't think I'm just one of the haters.
    7_seven_7 wrote: if you go to a live show of a band to see how much of a dickhead they are as a person or to see how big their ego is. then get a fukin life ay.
    I'm not really the type to go to live shows to observe a person or band's ego just so I can slag them off, so I have no idea where you got that idea from.
    7_seven_7 wrote: because if i was famous i would not give a shit if some nerd on a guitar tab site thought i had a big ego.
    Last I checked I wasn't the only "nerd on a guitar tab site" pointing out their dislike/disapointment with their new CD.
    7_seven_7 wrote: artificialH, i diagnose you with jealousy
    Oh you got me there, I'm just jealous... obviously.
    HughF
    I used to like Trivium, but Ascendancy was their last good album. The Crusade sucks.
    Mr.Loomis_shred
    this is one of the worst albums i have ever heard. I liked trivium for a short period of time until i wised the **** up and realised that they were absolute shit