The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Trivium: The Crusade

As far as any thrash metal band can be, Trivium have continued to be creative in their riffs, althought the solos and lead work are very good but have lost creativity. The melodic solos always sound like something that's been done before; and in the shredding solos there's always sweep-picking thrown in and it can get a bit samey to listen to. I do like the music on the album but not half as much as ascendancy.

Now this is the big downside. Matt Heafy dropped the screaming 'because he learnt to sing', so instead he shouts his way through most of the songs. This would sound good in just one or two songs, but a whole album? I think the vocals rip of Metallica way too much. Especially the yehea in anthem.It took me a while to get used to the new vocals.

When Trivium said they wanted to be the next Metallica, I thought they meant they wanted to be the next big metal icon, not literally Metallica. It sounds so similar I actually mistook Detonation for a new Metallica song when I first heard it. All the songs are still pretty good, but nothing compared to Ascendancy or evenEmber Inferno. Listen to This World Can't Tear Us Apart, that's the best. My main dislike about the new album is the vocals, but ironically the one track I don't listen to is the instrumental, Crusade, and why? Because it's so borin, maybe it's technical nd obviously fun to write and play, but I can't listen to it, it's 8 minutes of the same thing which I can't even remember. If it was lost or stolen, I wouldn't buy it straight away.

Plecshredder
    I hate them for their new album Crusade! This ****ed up Matt Heavy said in a interview in the latest Guitar Magazine that he's never gonna shout again. I loved Trivium for their own Style and sound but now they are just puppets of society and Tv and so on.
    NoSoupForYou711
    whine, bitch, moan, complain, disrupt, elaborate, curse, argue, and hate all you want, but what you really fail to realize is Trivium obviously doesn't give a shit cause they haven't stopped playing. To be honest I love them for many reasons, but to be honest, the whole Heafy is sounding like Hettfield b.s. is retarded. Have you ever listened to Metallica? It is a blatent OBVIOUS difference that even a deaf autistic child could pick up and decipher and write a 5 page essay about the differences and only have one short paragraph about similiarities. I admire Trivium for growing up and stopping the screaming for all you little whiners and moaners that can't appreciate real music, don't get me wrong, screaming is cool, but no screaming band is ever really remembered as well as a band with a pumped amazing singer. They want to play even when they are old, so Matt is doing the wise thing and preserving his voice, give it time guys, It's like a whole new route they are taking and they need to file off some rough edges.
    Denno15
    not that Metallica are crap cus they absolutley are not, just copying other bands is not the way to win fans and a sure way to loose them.
    Denno15
    Ascendancy is an amazing album. We also know that The Crusade is a total copy of Metallica. Here are the facts about it though The album isnt that bad i've listened to it; its just a diffrent style of music. The problem is... compared to Ascendancy is a peice of shit... espically if you liked matt's screaming; that to me was a big part of the feel to Trivium. But since in the new album he doesnt do that and instead he attempts to do some James Hetfeild vocals. The result is a bad follow up album which brings a huge dissapointment to some fans. I give it a 1.5/5
    Absolutely agree, ascendancy was an amazing album, for me the crusade is a let down.
    Hash4you
    one of the tracks in this album (sorry dunno the name) sounds just like "thru the never" by metallica. I understand the metallica influence has already been addressed, but i thought that song was a cover when i heard the opening riff. That was a big rip off. Still like the album tho.
    Dr. Knox666
    First of all I'd like to say I'm a huge Metallica and Megadeth fan. I also loved the two previous records of TRIVIUM, they're awesome. Matt and Corey shred the hell out of their guitars but what should I say about THE CRUSADE? It sounds like they try to sell out and they want to copy Metallica and Megadeth but there will be only one Metallica and no other so they should leave it to copy them and continue with their old style!
    stumpyishere
    OK ive listened to the album more since my last comment so heres what i think. Its not as bad as i thot before, it does have some good songs in it. However.... Like triviumrocks said we expected more from it considering the hype but trivium needs to be trivium and not focus on being the next metallica... but then again being compared to metallica cant be that bad can it?
    triviumrocks
    i do have respects for this album, dont get me wrong. and sadness will sear, this world cant tear us apart, unrepentant. all great. the old days were better tho. i am sick of the greedy motives of bands to make it to "the top". they said metalcore sucks and it is way too fad based, but that was when they were playing it. it is just irritating
    triviumrocks
    the problem with this album is that they didnt make it for the sake of making it. they made it to be the next metallica. metallica would have been equally as happy if they kept playing gigs in bars like the way they started in the early 80s. metallica earned their way. trivium have pretty much done tehm selves in with this one. i like all their stuff, i jsut cant accept their reasons for this new album.
    LucasGtrGod
    the music on this album is good. I like the singing, but the problem with his singing, is not that it sounds like james hetfield alot, but that now you can hear them you realise that wow, Matt Heafy is not that great of a lyricist. Also I want you people to listen to the intro of unrepentant and then go listen to Metallica's Through The Never.
    triviumrocks
    triviumrocks wrote: the crusade irritates me a little. they sold out on their screaming to please all you mainstream sheep like metallica99. i was expecting a little more from them, but i can say that they are both definitely guitar gods in the making. they should stop trying to be the next metallica and foccus on being the next trivium. i have moved on to demon hunter and afterimage at this point but i still listen to triv occasionally. when they throw out another masterpiece like Ascendancy, i will start giving them more time. i would rather listen to metallica then listen to trivium trying to be them. and the music video to anthem is moronic. another mansion and another look what you dont have. i am sick of the whole "next metallica" thing. maybe if they got labled that, but they werent, they made that gimmik up themselves. people dont want to see a next metallica, they want to see what trivium are capable of. LETS SEE IT
    OH :o:o:o:o THE WISDOM
    triviumrocks
    Trivium_Fan13 wrote: Trivium_Fan13 wrote: Trivium_Fan13 wrote: Ok, First and Foremost if your gonna comment atleast try to be intelligent and know your facts, thank you \m/ jamie \m/ for correcting thirdeyepried and his inability to know anything about Trivium. Does anyone else realize that if a band doesn't change or evolve, the band will burn itself out and go no where. Trivium did the smartest thing they could, wrote what felt right at the time, and not what the "screamo monkey's" wanted to hear. Classic Album: YES in a few years people will look back at the Crusade and say that is Trivium at their sharpest. I work at McDonald's and I listen to my iPod everyday while at work and all ive had on here for the past 2 days has been the Crusade, I am really soaking it in and loving everything about this album. So to you monkeys who think that the Crusade is trash, I say why don't you write better, more elaborate music and make it famous??? Well I guess that means you can't, oh Well.....TRIVIUM ROX \M/ \M/---Anyone seeing them at the Metro in Chicago SEE YOU THERE! Again DO I Have to Say Much More, And too you "fans" where is your loyalty to Trivium, Never Hate them for what they do, but for what they are afriad to do..... Again Nuff Said, and EMO AND TRIVIUM IN THE SAME SENTENCE HA, get your eyes Checked!
    first of all SHUT THE HELL UP, for your own good, we all love trivium, dont question our loyalty to trivium just because we are disappointed with this overratted album. if trivium told you to jump off a bridge would you?
    Anarion614 wrote: they had their own awesome sound, they could be up there with LoB, if they werent already...then they completely ripped off of metallica. completely. i loved these guys....sure the new albums alright, but...no...
    seccond of all. a quote like this is more like it
    Anarion614