The Crusade review by Trivium

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Oct 10, 2006
  • Sound: 6
  • Lyrics: 5
  • Overall Impression: 6
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
  • Users' score: 8.1 (768 votes)
Trivium: The Crusade
0

Sound — 6
This album isn't as good as it's made out to be. There's good guitar riffs and solo's etc, but the lyrics were repetitive. Trivium have really gone down from the heaviness of Ascendancy, which I found bad as Ascendancy was an awesome album. They've lost that unique Trivium sound, now they sound like Metallica.

Lyrics — 5
As I said the yrics are repetative so the songs can get a bit boring. I didn't really enjoy the singing because as it sounds to much like Metallica, I prefered Ascendancy as I thought Matt Heafy's shouting was awesome. So I prefered Ascendancy to this album.

Overall Impression — 6
Overall some of the guitar riffs were good, and like Ascendancy good solo's, but I thought the vocals, let it down. And also the drumming wasn't as good, not much of the crazy double bass stuff. Though I thought Anthem (We Are The Fire) was good as it had a good riff, and a good solo, but the repetitive let it down. So all in all I didn't like the album much. Somewhere between Bad and average. Oh and if your wondering why it sounds bad when I say they sound like Metallica, I don't like Metallica.

18 comments sorted by best / new / date

    kylendm
    Honestly i like them better this way. There is just a certain kind of feel to this album. I really didn't like their screaming that much but i think they can play very mean guitar riffs especially in their solos.
    Aaron-Maiden
    I think that Trivium are an awesome band but if they'd cut out the screaming then they would be an even bigger success. The Crusade one of the best albums this year so buy it!!!
    B.T.B.A.M.
    I personally liked it when they screamed. It added an intensity to the music that complimented the guitar and drum style very well. Screaming would not have worked on the new songs. They just have a different feel as opposed to previous albums. They still kick major ass though.
    ironman shred
    i just think everyones pissed cuz they quite doing screamo. which guess what they never wanted to do screamo but at the time that was all heafty was capable of.
    Adamantium
    ...whoops, my comment got cut off, sh*t. anyway, i've lost respect for them because of what they said, because either: 1. they were trying to use the media to reach audiences and hope that their words would stick to 'em, and hope that their fans started referring to them as the next metallica (which is lame) 2. they really DO wanna be the next metallica (which is lame, there can never be another of another band) 3. they're idiots and didn't realize that what they said TO THE MEDIA would reach so many people (which is lame, because it's stupid, they should know that what's said to the media is 10 times stronger then what's said to anyone else.) seriously, after this album (so long as you've heard both metallica and crusade) you can't deny that trivium sounds more like metallica than any other two bands sound like each other. trivium and metallica sound more like each other after the crusade than any other two bands i've ever heard. yea, he changed his singing (to sound like hetfield in my opinion)... but forget about that right now, because you're completely ignoring the fact that as a BAND they changed everything , their drummer is actually cutting back a bit on double bass, their music completely changed, it's thrashier. they even jam like metallica did non stage, heafy even had a hetfield sorta beard for awhile. they're goin to far. look, completely aside from them sounding like metallica, i still dont respect them anymore. i've been around music all my life, i know it's purpose, and i know what i'm talkin about. i feel as though if i were to sit in on one of their practices while they were makin up as song, they'd probably say stuff like "put this riff there, that riff here, put that drum beat over that bass line cuz it sounds f*ckin badass!!! " as opposed to "put this riff there, that riff here, put that drum beat over that bass line cuz it inspires the feeling and thought that i want it to " you guys, there are way better bands out ther, i won't mention any of which i think are better, but it's still a fact that there are better. trivium as barely metal anyway, i don't think they should be given so much attention. much less, i don't think that if they ARE the one's to change metal, that it would be any good. there are much more bands out there with much more talent, and musical ability and understanding that do a much better job of creating music than trivium, i'm not mentioning any because i'm sure all you guys could easily find them for yourself. so yea, i don't know if you'll agree with me, i doubt you will, but yea, hope you comment back dude, just curious to hear what you have to say, even if it's in total disagreeance with what i've said.
    Adamantium
    blackfire1206 wrote: wow. majority of you are total morons. i registered on UG just so i could yell at you idiots. for one thing, about trivium saying that they want to be the "next metallica" doesnt mean they LITERALLY want to be them. if you how to analyze people's words correctly you would know what they mean. they want to be the next big metal band like metallica WAS back in the hay day. they want to revive metal back to the point where every big metal band was playing in sold out arenas, not smaller venues like the house of blues, or your local small theater. THATS what theu meant by "being the next metallica" ok, so there are simaliarties to matt's vocal stylings to hetfields. but did any of you know he went to a trainer to learn to sing better? he went to a vocal coach who has helped other big acts help keep their vocals in check such as arch enemy's singer. did it also occur to you that hetfield IS a big influence in his music? everyone has their influences, and odds are they WILL rub off on them. im sure all of you musicans know what im talking about. little elements will come into your style of playing of your biggest influences. thats WHY their your influences, cause you dig their sound and you would like to take a little piece and mesh it into your own stuff, making YOUR style. indeed bands like metallica and in flames "sold out" on their fans by having a more mainstream sound. how would you feel if it felt like you were writing the same album over and over, and it was no longer intresting? they just want their music to be spread over a bigger audience but they also try and keep their "core" fans because they are their most trusted fans. how do you think the band feels when they lose those die hard fans by "selling out" by trying to keep it intresting for them,a and for the listeners. if anything, that just makes YOU selfish. bands will change, and if you cant accept that, then listen to you "kill 'em all" and what ever the hell you listen to over and over until you feel better about yourself and your taste of music. and for another thing. they DIDNT LIKE THE VOCALS IN THE FIRST PLACE. they WANTED to switch to the clean because they LIKED IT MORE. read some interviews about it. Paolo even touches on the subject himself. again, THEY DIDNT LIKE THE VOCALS ON ASCENDANCY OR EMBER TO INFERNO. if you dont like it, shove it up your ass, and YOU sing for trivium. since everyone seems to compare metallice to trivium ill use another example. metallica uses ALOT of power chords. i mean, ALOT. look at 'master of puppets', 'fight fire with fire' 'one'(if you look at the shape of the little acoustic piece it IS a power chord) "fade to black"(same deal), "welcome home (sanitarium)" (again same deal) its mostly power chords. trivium DOES use powerchords, but they are VASTLY more technical to their icons. not saying they are better guitar players, but their music says more than metallicas ever could. thats another big difference. and heafy does waaaay more melodies than hetfield ever did. even BEFORE 'the crusade' came out. and i like how everyone keeps calling them 'metalcore' when other than the vocals, nothing about their music gives off metal core. theres no breakdowns, theirs no insanley fast double bass. for god sakes theirs not blasts beats, low growls, or high screams. if you are to call a band a genre at least KNOW what the genre sounds like. these mainstream "metalcore bands" i.e. killswitch engage, unearth arnt real metalcore. they have the metal sound mixed with something else, but that doesnt make them metalcore. trivium's plan was never "lets go metalcore" it was "lets go be metal". they hate the 'metalcore' label and if u where their fans you would know that. PERSONALLY i like ascendancy better. but i dont believe in bands selling out. ever. i look at it from THEIR standpoint and appreciate what they do. i love 'the crusade' and it did excede my expectations, but it was not as good as i hoped it would be. ascendancy is better in my opinion, as are the vocals on that as well. but i can appreciate what they have done, and i still enjoy the new sound as much as i did the old. because im a real fan, and i dont "sellout" on the bands i listen to.
    yes, another intelligent person to argue. i respect what you're saying man, and i'm not gonna bash you, i just hope you're not one of those people that get butt hurt if i disagree. anyway, for a band like trivium to say something like "we wanna be the next metallica..." i'm sure they must haveknown what they were sayin...either that or they're idiots not to know how that statement would be taken or how much it's gonna stick to people. i'm not even kidding, i can't read about them anywhere without them being referred to as the new metallica, the new guitar world says somthin like "the crusade is the best metallica album that metallica never made..." i bet you a million bucks, if trivium never said anything about wanting to be the next metallica, they wouldn't be refered to by so many as the next metallica.
    Hexagram
    Blackfire1206 is the smartest person on this entire website. He is right about everything. Thank you for showing these idiots light.
    deathbat411
    you guys say they are truly inside a screaming metalcore band. but in several interviews i heard Matt never wan't to scream. it just when they started he was really young and his voice was cracking so he screamed. crusade kicks ass \m/
    blackfire1206
    amarth (damn i got cut off)." so ya cheers to them. i totally forgot what else i had to say cause i brain farted when i hit the "Post a Comment!" button but ill be back when i remember lol.
    DimeRazorback
    ascendency was good, this was ****ing awesome in my book, they have a cool metallica sound, which i love since metallica is one of my favorite bands, the solos are really badass on this cd, i have seen a lot of people say they hate this cd, but i ****ing love it, much better than the screaming in my opinion, when u have a voice like that, u definetly shouldnt have to scream, i just dont want them to try to hard to be metallica, overall, this album sounds awesome!!
    blackfire1206
    Adamantium wrote: ...whoops, my comment got cut off, sh*t. anyway, i've lost respect for them because of what they said, because either: 1. they were trying to use the media to reach audiences and hope that their words would stick to 'em, and hope that their fans started referring to them as the next metallica (which is lame) 2. they really DO wanna be the next metallica (which is lame, there can never be another of another band) 3. they're idiots and didn't realize that what they said TO THE MEDIA would reach so many people (which is lame, because it's stupid, they should know that what's said to the media is 10 times stronger then what's said to anyone else.) seriously, after this album (so long as you've heard both metallica and crusade) you can't deny that trivium sounds more like metallica than any other two bands sound like each other. trivium and metallica sound more like each other after the crusade than any other two bands i've ever heard. yea, he changed his singing (to sound like hetfield in my opinion)... but forget about that right now, because you're completely ignoring the fact that as a BAND they changed everything, their drummer is actually cutting back a bit on double bass, their music completely changed, it's thrashier. they even jam like metallica did non stage, heafy even had a hetfield sorta beard for awhile. they're goin to far. look, completely aside from them sounding like metallica, i still dont respect them anymore. i've been around music all my life, i know it's purpose, and i know what i'm talkin about. i feel as though if i were to sit in on one of their practices while they were makin up as song, they'd probably say stuff like "put this riff there, that riff here, put that drum beat over that bass line cuz it sounds f*ckin badass!!!" as opposed to "put this riff there, that riff here, put that drum beat over that bass line cuz it inspires the feeling and thought that i want it to" you guys, there are way better bands out ther, i won't mention any of which i think are better, but it's still a fact that there are better. trivium as barely metal anyway, i don't think they should be given so much attention. much less, i don't think that if they ARE the one's to change metal, that it would be any good. there are much more bands out there with much more talent, and musical ability and understanding that do a much better job of creating music than trivium, i'm not mentioning any because i'm sure all you guys could easily find them for yourself. so yea, i don't know if you'll agree with me, i doubt you will, but yea, hope you comment back dude, just curious to hear what you have to say, even if it's in total disagreeance with what i've said.
    ahaha. finally someone who isnt as one sided as everyone else is >.>;; ok so like, trivium is prolly the crappiest band i listen to honestly. im not going to deny they have an EXTREME closeness to metallica, since i used to be a die hard metallica fan (read their biographies [books], listened to them everyday, had 9 of their shirts)and i wont deny that a lot of their songs arent very original sounding i.e. anthem (we are the fire), the rising (sounds like maiden/def leppard esque). so, ive got your back on that subject. in orginality i give them an F on the crusade. and his vox are definately like het's. but like i said earlier, big influences, yadayadayada. u have to admit, if u had never heard het's voice, his vocals would be amazing which they are. its just too bad he modeled them almost exactley like het's. music isnt always about making something that has huge significance to people's mindset or feelings. some songs are just made to be bad ass. like, cannibal corpse. u cant really believe that they mean everything they say in their songs. or slayer, to quote tom araya "they are just words." but i do agree, trivium DOES need to eff off and get their own style instead of blending everyone elses. but i say they do what they feel is right and hopefully their next album wont be so bad. but i do believe that their cd was more of a dedication to the bands they love. most likely the reason why they all sound like bands they are really into i.e megadeath(corey), metallica(heafy), def lepard(poalo), iron maiden(the band as a whole). and i honestly was expecting blast beats in ignition and was seriously disapointed. but the point is, in all honesty. dispite what everyone may claim about them and their suckiness ill stick by them and hope for the best. i believe they are wonderful musicans, its just they need to figure out what trivium really is. not what all their favorite bands are. and once they get that down, maybe they will release their own epic, instead of everyone elses. im just trying to prove a point that not everyone should just say they suck and not think of the process/effort that went into the album. im in a band so i can relate to them. i know what its like to write a song, listen to it and say "shit that sounds like a slayer song" or "shit that sounds like amon
    blackfire1206
    ironman shred wrote: i just think everyones pissed cuz they quite doing screamo. which guess what they never wanted to do screamo but at the time that was all heafty was capable of.
    shut up. they were never screamo, and hopefully they never will be. google screamo and unless some moron out there is spreading the word that they are, u wont find them there.
    joshua029
    anthony4326 wrote: metallica sucks.....Trivium rocks.....enough said
    your 1/2 an idiot
    Adamantium
    i'm so glad some of you guys agree with me, even if you didn't read my post, thank you, i'm not even kidding, you are some of the few people that haven't lost sight of intelligent, true music; as opposed to, of course, the people who've GAINED sight of the new goddamn trendy band to like. death to trivium, long live music. (i say that as in "meaningful music..." ...which trivium is not... )
    Deth2Emo
    Trivium ripped off almost an entire Megadeth song on this album. One track sounds almost exactly like "Eye of the Tornado," from RIP. The song has the exact same chord progression, and a few of Marty Friedman's licks; verbatim. As far as the album goes besides that; okay guitar playing, won't comment on the singing, don't want to get flagged.
    Fargalas
    I don't care what genre Trivium is, because whatever it is, it sucks. Any genre, with lack of talent, or just plain lack of sincerity, can suck. And this is it, right here. And somebody said they were bringing solos back to metal... What? The good metal never LEFT the solo. And if you want a Headbanger's Ball-type band that's been keeping solos going for a long time, check out Children of Bodom. Been around a lot longer than Trivicallica. And why worship any bands? All of the good stuff is made by people who are inspired to make music because of a band, but from there, want to make their own. Not half-assed copies of another band's music... It's almost impossible to define what makes Trivium suck as bad as they do, but it's there, and in great quantity.
    Gojira16
    Any band that says they want to be a new version of another band is ****ing LAME. And remember, they actually said that. I don't know if anyone caught the article in the October Guitar World where Heafy and Hammett jerk each other off for a few pages... I stopped reading when they started complementing their super cool skin tight pants.
    scottishmob
    123-Trav wrote: lol yeh st anger was a real disappointment but its great to see a return to form on the crusade.
    Hahaha! Thats great.