The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Trivium: The Crusade

The first report ever given on this album when it came out said "the best Metallica album that, well, metallica has ever made." There is no doubt that Trivium's new sound is a lot more influenced on it's roots like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy and many more. On first look, The Crusade can look a lot like another other album, great cover illustrations, gruff looking song titles and a huge lead up, but as soon as one puts it into the players and hears the opening song "Ignition", one would then either look in great respect or in great horror at the new, very Metallica sounding thrash metal guitars and vocals. The drums have changed very little though. Drummer Travis has continued to utilise his doulbe kicks and tough beats but there is nothing to change the fact that Trivium is a new band with a new sound that judging by record sales, doesnt't seem to bother many hardcore trivium fans.

There is nothing new about the lyrics of trivium, they are all stil about becoming dragons, a women drowning herself in depression and tons of other fantastical stories that trivium can tell through their music. Matt Heafy, like he always has, wrote all the lyrics and words for the album and ironically he also decided that this would be the album where the "real" Matt Heafy singing would be debuted with no change in the words he says. Just pick up the well illustrated cover booklet and read through the lyrics, they are neither insightful or bad, they rank as complete mediocer.

For starters, if this album was lost of stolen, with new technology I would not buy a new one because it would be much easier to download the songs that are good on the album, mainly "Ignition", "Contempts Breed Contamination", "We Are The Fire", "To The Rats", and the single "Entrance Of The Conflagration". The album does lack the common sound and feel that Ascendancy and Ember To Inferno created when they first came out. More importantly though, the Trivium will most likely be a love and hate, on and off relationship, it's hard to get used to it at first but it is Trivium either way and every once in a while we can always look back on the good old days when words could hardly be understood and the band was all under the tender age of 20.

peever
    i was really disappointed in this album. ascendancy and ember to inferno were awesome original albums. this one however seems to be a case of writers block. triviums saving grace for this album is their stage presence live, i even liked these new songs live.
    sub xerox
    i don't mind their music . i just don't see the point of them always claiming they're " the next metallica " . why not just get their own image ?
    mattalmighty
    this album brings in too many new concepts, theres three things they need to do (return to) to make there own style perfect 1) go back to the solos that fitted with the song and had the emotion in them, rather than over-complicating them, which takes that all away 2) Mix the screaming and singing, so that theres a good mix of both, rather than just a complete swop 3) STOP TRYING TO COPY EVERYONE ELSE (as if it hasnt been mentioned already )
    ledmetacdc
    Lol. So much fighting! Heres my take: Its a very good record. I don't think it sounds anything like Metallica, personally, and Metallica are my favorite band. I think Matt Heafy is a very good vocalist, and that he and Corey Bealiuea are very inventive guitarists. I also think Travis Smith is an excellent drummer. But... ...As excited as I was when I bought this record, I quickly grew tired of it. In fact, I grow tired of most modern metal very quickly. The thing is, as good as they are, and as cool as this record is, it somewhat fails to keep your attention. Now, when I bought this, I must have listened to it for like, 6 weeks straight. This record CAN BE the shit, if you want it to be. But Metallica still beats them. Megadeth still beats them. But, for god's sake, Trivium are an excellent band, and they very much deserve praise for what they do, which is borrow from almost every metal band formed before 1990. I would give this record an 8/10.
    avenged_7_fold
    archangelseren
    first fag and sadness will sear is the best song on the album i think any way this album was mainly a disappointment for me but that song gave me something so the album wasn't a waste of money
    salsawords
    This album is good I guess but Matt's singing just totally sucks on half the songs and the lyrics really suck now. The guitars are still really awesome and stuff but I kinda like the drop d tuning because it just sounds heavier. I wish he would scream again. I wouldn't care if he sang like dying in your arms but his new singing isn't really melodic, it just sounds like some guy yelling. Other than the crappy singing and lyrics, this album is still good. 7/10
    Metallicaman42
    avenged_7_fold wrote: I used to love Trivium so much, back then(2003-2005) they were my favorite band. But since they turn into Metallica, I can't listen to any song but "The Crusade." This album would have been so good if Matt hadn't quit screaming. I also was so sad when I heared the solos for this album, There solos were so good in the last two albums, but now all they are is really fast Alt. picking. This record was one of the bigest wastes of talent I've ever seen.
    So just cutting out the supposed "Hetfield" vocals would had made this album so good is that what youre saying? If he screamed everything would have been ok? I'm sorry dude grow up. And how the hell is this one of the biggest wastes of talent you've ever seen? Go listen to the Anthem (We are the fire) solo and tell me that's not talent. I'd like to see you play that solo or much less create it! There are other types of vocals other than just screaming and he pulled it off quite well. It's complete bull**** that some of you people think since they made a reference to being the next Metallica, you are looking at every opportunity to try pick apart their "riffs" and say they sound like Pantera, or this Metallica era, or that Metallica era. I bet if they never made a reference to Metallica being their largest influence, half of you wouldn't be spewing this thrash metal Metallica ripoff garbage, because in reality, they are really not as alike as some of you guys forced into your brains a long time ago. You dont have to like these guys, but can you really deny the talent in their music? They have beautiful, melodic solos on many of their songs that are more than just Alt picking. Srysly people, go ahead and state your opinions, but at least make them respectable and hold some fact or truth in it. Jeeeez!
    kfong03
    trivium is good but they still need a lot more b4 they can catch up to the legacy of pantera. pantera, trivium and metallica pwns
    kfong03
    Metallicaman i agree with you "avenged_7_fold" wtf r u saying? trivium is a great band and even if they sound like metallica or whatever u shouldn't be dissing them, and the other fact is i hate screamo, i hate everybody who screams in music cuz it sounds so shit and u may not agree with it but just becuz mat isn't screaming doesn't mean this album was an "waste of talent", let's see u do something half as sucessfull.
    sykguitaryst
    this band is awesome, but this cd isnt on my "i like this cd" list. only song i can listen to is ignition, catchy ass chorus. ohh and the solo section in becoming the dragon is too cool to deny. i also understand where a7fold is comin from, it feels like a big step back from ascendancy imo. he had nice screamage skills (like light to the flies). and i completely (along with other people, maybe not you) dislike his new style of sing. damnit everytime i write somethin i remember another song i like from the album, lol, like the crusade, entrance of the conflagration, and to the rats.