The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Trivium: The Crusade

Trivium. One word to describe them. Awesome. The skill of these people is crazy. I'd have to say that Mat Heafy is the best rhythm guitarists ever, I can barley play it yet alone sing to it. Travis' astonishingly fast drums just add a little more to the album. Me being a bass player myself can truly appreciate Palao's bass solos in Becoming the dragon, The crusade and broken one(only on itunes version)All very good for a band only in their early '20s. 01. Ignition - I love the heavy intro, it's so fast, and Travis' double bass crazy tom stuff strings it together well. As like many trivium songs it has a nice calmer breakdown/chorus. I love the fast guitar in the verses and Mats crazy solo. The outro could use some work though. 02. Detonation - it's almost too good to describe. It flows well from Ignition, I thought both were the same song when I first heard it. The verse has a good feel/rhythm too it. It brings me back to their old stuff with the screaming. Mat as usual has a crazy solo with a lot of whammy. Now the best part, the breakdown, you just can't help to fall in love with this part. I like how the drums add just the perfect rhythm to the song. It ends with a great trademark dual solo. 03. Entrance Of The Conflagration - it has a nice vocal into.Love the verse riff, the chorus can do better though. I like the crisp tremolo picking bass that backs up the guitar and drums nicely. I like the bridge with the almost eerie diminished sounding intervals. Need I say that Mat has awesome solo. 04. Anthem (We Are The Fire) - great intro with great pulsing bass. I love the solo. Love the dual solo. I wish they had better lyrics than "yeah" during the bridge. Ends on a Mat solo. 05. Unrepentant - like the wah intro, I think it's wah. Love the double bass in the verse. I wish the lead in the chorus was louder it's sooo good. And Corey has a amazing solo this time. I like the vocal breakdown in the middle. 06. And Sadness Will Sear - I like the 7-string ultra low into-hate the fact that I need a 7 string to play it. I love that you can actually hear the bass in the into, and who doesn't love toms. It has a good bridge too. And a Great solo by Corey. 07. Becoming The Dragon - I love the bridge with the screaming, takes me back to the old trivium, and how heavy this song it, WoW.I like how the outro guitar solo switches to a fantastic bass solo by Palao. 08. To The Rats - it was written by Grogotto, but no bass solo what a shame. I like the verse riff, Love the chorus. It is so heavy, all the screaming adds to that too. I love Mat's solo (I know I'm sounding like a broken record). I love the outro, it's the lyrics of the chorus with a more melodic riff. 09. This World Can't Tear Us Apart - great lyrics, Great sound. It's not Overly complex, for trivium at least. But it has a good melodic sound. It's a little repetitive though. 10. Tread The Floods - love the intro with Corey's lead stuff. it's actually the same as the chorus. I don't like the arrangement though, I don't like having to wait for the awesome chorus. Mat has a great solo, as usual. 11. Contempt Breads Contamination - love the intro. I really like the lead in the verse. It really catches you when it goes from a heavy verse instantly to the chorus. Corey gets a great solo. 2 actually. 12. The Rising - like the drum intro, not to fast but still good. You may think that I am a bassist so I would love this song, no. It's like saying Pete Wentz is good. Sorry Palao but the bass in this song is too basic, just open E string, the guitar however is good, no, great. I love how Corey busts that solo out of nowhere. Crazy. Corey has some good lead riffs in the chorus too. 13. The Crusade - I can't lie, I have a thing for instrumentals, so I liked this song before I heard it, Now I love it, bass solos crazy lead riffs. I find it all has a classical feel(In a heavy metal way) I like the bass in the 2nd bridge. I love the lead guitar in the 1stbridge too. I love the solo, can't lie. It just has a happy feel. The outro is perfect for the last song on the album. I think that this song is worthy of being the title song. 14. Broken One - this is only on the itunes version. It sucks, cause this it there bast song. I love the bass intro and the singing. The verse guitar is awesome. 15. Dieing In Your Arms - I haven't really heard this song since it's on the itunes version. I like the melodiousness of it though. Mat has a solo (tell me something I don't know).

First a little story about Mat. Growing up he was not Able to sing well so he learned to scream(this is why there is so much screaming on the earlier albums). This is the first album where he did the majority singing. Love the lyrics in detonation, It's like Mat is telling 2 sides of a story, the enemy and victim. A lot of the songs tell a story, like unrepentant, a story of a father who kills his daughters to preserve his own honor. The lyrics in This world can't tear us apart are the best lyrics I have heard by this band. The sound/skills. Mat has taken on a James Hetfield style singing instead screaming, and he still uses his melodic vocals for the chorus' and bridges ect. He still throws in those screams in hear and there like in to the rats and becoming the dragon. I don't think there's any thing bad I can say about the lyrics.

There is no word to describe it. Just wow. I didn't believe my friend when he went on saying "Trivium are the future of metal" and "they're the next Metallica" Now I say that too. I love too many things to say other than Mat's solos. I hate how they had to put broken one and dieing in your arm on the itunes version, especially broken one, it's like my favorite song ever. If I lost it, I would not just buy this album, I would buy all the other albums too.

Cush
    "dimebagisgr8 : this album is a million times better than MOP"
    boyan89
    i dont think they said it, I think people started saying they were the next Metallica...then magazines got the idea to post it...and yah...i dont know that's my view on it..
    Jawshuwa
    ^ Err, wow, comment got cut off... Anyway, I respect what he's saying, but I'm sure by "We want to be the next Metallica," they meant they want to be as -successful- as them, as big as them, the metal band that everyone listens to; ironically, saying that seemed to have caused the opposite to happen. Is it a crime to want to be successful ? The point of music is expression, yes, but to make it in the music industry, those expressions have to sell.
    Jawshuwa
    [quote]Adamantium wrote: blackfire1206 wrote: wow. majority of you are total morons. i registered on UG just so i could yell at you idiots. for one thing, about trivium saying that they want to be the "next metallica" doesnt mean they LITERALLY want to be them. if you how to analyze people's words correctly you would know what they mean. they want to be the next big metal band like metallica WAS back in the hay day. they want to revive metal back to the point where every big metal band was playing in sold out arenas, not smaller venues like the house of blues, or your local small theater. THATS what theu meant by "being the next metallica" ok, so there are simaliarties to matt's vocal stylings to hetfields. but did any of you know he went to a trainer to learn to sing better? he went to a vocal coach who has helped other big acts help keep their vocals in check such as arch enemy's singer. did it also occur to you that hetfield IS a big influence in his music? everyone has their influences, and odds are they WILL rub off on them. im sure all of you musicans know what im talking about. little elements will come into your style of playing of your biggest influences. thats WHY their your influences, cause you dig their sound and you would like to take a little piece and mesh it into your own stuff, making YOUR style. indeed bands like metallica and in flames "sold out" on their fans by having a more mainstream sound. how would you feel if it felt like you were writing the same album over and over, and it was no longer intresting? they just want their music to be spread over a bigger audience but they also try and keep their "core" fans because they are their most trusted fans. how do you think the band feels when they lose those die hard fans by "selling out" by trying to keep it intresting for them,a and for the listeners. if anything, that just makes YOU selfish. bands will change, and if you cant accept that, then listen to you "kill 'em all" and what ever the hell you listen to over and over until you feel better about yourself and your taste of music. and for another thing. they DIDNT LIKE THE VOCALS IN THE FIRST PLACE. they WANTED to switch to the clean because they LIKED IT MORE. read some interviews about it. Paolo even touches on the subject himself. again, THEY DIDNT LIKE THE VOCALS ON ASCENDANCY OR EMBER TO INFERNO. if you dont like it, shove it up your ass, and YOU sing for trivium. since everyone seems to compare metallice to trivium ill use another example. metallica uses ALOT of power chords. i mean, ALOT. look at 'master of puppets', 'fight fire with fire' 'one'(if you look at the shape of the little acoustic piece it IS a power chord) "fade to black"(same deal), "welcome home (sanitarium)" (again same deal) its mostly power chords. trivium DOES use powerchords, but they are VASTLY more technical to their icons. not saying they are better guitar players, but their music says more than metallicas ever could. thats another big difference. and heafy does waaaay more melodies than hetfield ever did. even BEFORE 'the crusade' came out. and i like how everyone keeps calling them 'metalcore' when other than the vocals, nothing about their music gives off metal core. theres no breakdowns, theirs no insanley fast double bass. for god sakes theirs not blasts beats, low growls, or high screams. if you are to call a band a genre at least KNOW what the genre sounds like. these mainstream "metalcore bands" i.e. killswitch engage, unearth arnt real metalcore. they have the metal sound mixed with something else, but that doesnt make them metalcore. trivium's plan was never "lets go metalcore" it was "lets go be metal". they hate the 'metalcore' label and if u where their fans you would know that. PERSONALLY i like ascendancy better. but i dont believe in bands selling out. ever. i look at it from THEIR standpoint and appreciate what they do. i love 'the crusade' and it did excede my expectations, but it was not as good as i hoped it would be. ascendancy is better in my opinion, as are the vocals on that as well. but i can appreciate what they have done, and i still enjoy the new sound as much as i did the old. because im a real fan, and i dont "sellout" on the bands i listen to. yes, another intelligent person to argue. i respect what you're saying man, and i'm not gonna bash you, i just hope you're not one of those people that get butt hurt if i disagree. anyway, for a band like trivium to say something like "we wanna be the next metallica..." i'm sure they must haveknown what they were sayin...either that or they're idiots not to know how that statement would be taken or how much it's gonna stick to people. i'm not even kidding, i can't read about them anywhere without them being referred to as the new metallica, the new guitar world says somthin like "the crusade is the best metallica album that metallica never made..." i bet you a million bucks, if trivium never said anything about wanting to be the next metallica, they wouldn't be refered to by so many as the next metallic
    MetalliCarnage
    I bought this album about a week ago and I was very impressed.... Sort of a tribute to early metal from the eighties (Metallica, Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer etc...) Now, I could be accused as being a bandwagon hopper cuz I wasn't into Trivium until just recently but when I first hear "Entrance of the Conflagration" I knew I had to buy this album... Dont really like "Ignition" all that much....The stretched out vocals kinda piss me off...still awesome guitar....The first half of detonation in kewl but the second half of the song is just un-****in-believable, so emotional and powerful...."Entrance of the Conflagration" is probably my favorite track on the album, just soooo solid, the riffs are bone crushing....anyway, I could go on and on but your probably getting tired of reading this and i'm sure as hell tired of writing it...anyway, very solid album, thumbs way up...
    BurningTheLives
    Just thought I'd ask, why is Metallica brought up? I do believe this is a Trivium album. An album by the way that sounds nothing like Metallica.
    Sanitarium91
    metallifan1 wrote: Guitar_gOdd wrote: I think that 'Anthem' sound just like iron maiden! alright, have you ever listened to an Iron Maiden song? at no time would i ever think that it sounds even remotely like Iron Maiden. oh, and the song sucks. iron Maiden is one of the best metal bands of all time. it's a disgrace to compare the two.
    I doubt he meant the whole song sounds like Maiden. In my opinion the first 20 seconds sound a bit like it.
    trivium036
    Okay, for the people who are argueing over genres, I agree with some other guy, You are ****ing idiots I mean I think Labelling Music kind of recks it, Like i don't have anything against it and i wouldn't want to stop labelling it its just that people are ****ing idiots and think 'oh here, i listen to death metal so i cant listen to slayer, cos theyre not in my genre' Like ****, i listen to ****in' Jay Z, the kooks [quite catchy] and blink182, But i also listen to cannibal corpse, Job for a cowboy annihilator, slayer,metallica, trivium... all that, you people are idiots, Just enjoy your music [P.S, please excuse my foul language :] ]
    grungeisdead312
    deathbyemail wrote: trivium are a rubbish band, they may be able to play their instruments extremely well for their ages, but seriously.... can't you see there anourmous egos? if you can't, get your eyes tested.
    u mean enormous? and no i saw them at family values tour and they were the only main stage band to meet anyone who wanted to see them (and u didn't have to buy any of their merchandise) ego?? don't think so
    Cush
    Shakalum : i don't listen to trivium, but: i found a sleeve of this on the ground of my local cd shop, and it's signed by all the members of the band in silver sharpie. what the hell? is this shit worth something?
    Hey man, if toilet paper ever runs out in your house then at least you've got some backup - you know what to do.
    [B]C [R]ich
    k i know many people before have posted somethiing like this but seriously if you dont like trivium why are you reading this review and writing comments saying blah blah they sound like metallica and they do this n that; who gives a damn? i think trivium is great, hell they're my number one influence to me n my guitar those guys pull of some awesome sounds. i would gladly defend trivium to the death. and really how can anyone say oh they sound like these 3 bands and shit like that.. dude watch one of the interviews with jon from shadows fall...he even said alot of his songs have come from just jammin along with the radio tryin to figure it out...he ****ed that up but made his own kickass song outta it, so obviously its gunna sound like something else out there. alot of newer bands these days have forgotten the art of the solo..matt n corey, make it sound perfect.n who gives a damn about they sound like this kinda genre? its good music, i didnt go through all these comments but one person here i can say maybe has a brain is Metallicaman42, id like to say that if you want the right to say triviums new album was a waste of talent; i give you the same length trivium took to write the crusday, and hand me and play me 13 amazing ****ing songs, if you can make a new album with simalir skill to trivium...i will shut up, go into a hole for the rest of my life and everything i own will be yours, so either get over yourselves or go home.
    miltiainc
    if metallica sucks now then why does everybody keep having bands vs. metallica who is the very best
    hendrix117
    Oh, and also, I have yet to hear a Trivium song that I don't absolutely love. When I first heard this album, I was a little dissapointed by the lack of screaming, but then I listened to them a little bit more, and now I actually like some of these songs better than a few off of Ascendancy. However, I still think that overall Ascendancy and Ember to Emferno were better albums.
    Jester.Race
    Mediocre band from whatI've heard of them, the song The Crusade is pretty sick. Heafy sounds like hes trying to do a personalized Hetfield immitation. Their albums all suck regardless due to the fact that they don't have enough BASSS!!!!
    Shakalum
    evilmetalboy
    ya know, this pisses me off. in the last review, the dude said this: "There is, however, one track with good lyrics and that track is And Sadness Will Sear, these lyrics are so depressing but so true, it actually makes me feel pain for William Shepard, and not many song lyrics can actually move me." The young man who was beaten to death while tied to a fence's name was MATT Shepard, not WILLIAM. that's really ironic, if you think about it. not knowing his real name when you talk about what happened to him is extremely disrespectful. it's like saying, "oh yeah, i really feel for that one guy... ya know, that what's-his-name guy! yeah, that's him!" that's really f*cking ignorant.
    tbarrettl
    Cush wrote: metalicatrivium wrote: I dont give a damn if they do sound like metallica wannabes. i looked them up one day and i found out that these guys are less then half of metallicas age and both corey and matt probably have more talent than kirk hammett. matt is only 20, not even old enough to buy himself beer. corey is 22. travis smith is 24. and paolo is only 21. they are all kickass musicians. -Dude, did you forget that metallica started out at around the same age as them? Metallica didn't start a few years ago, they started 26 years ago.. "dimebagisgr8 : this album is a million times better than MOP" -Hmm...What was that? - No. "Rolling Stone magazine ranked Master of Puppets at number 167 on its list of the 500 greatest albums of all time" If 'the crusade' was so good then surely it would've been on there beating metallica's mop. "Shredboy : Trivium rule they did the best cover of MOP in the world... its actually a little better than metallicas version..." -Hmm...What was that? - No. You do realise that you idiots have created another, "Band vs. Metallica" thing here. Just like what happened with "Metallica vs. Megadeth", it has started again with, "Metallica vs. Trivium". You suck. -Thanks.
    I never vision them topping Metallica or getting to that level but I couldn't care less to me they sound as thrash as the big 4 for the most part and are very listen able and I could go on with comparisons and I just enjoy they introduce new good metal songs.