The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 2.3 Junky
Trivium: The Crusade

The sound is such a try hard sound that I can't believe anyone would consider this a "natural album" that quote was from a friend of mine. Anyways The sound is no where near thrash Metal. The riffs don't chug like they do in your premier thrash bands (old Metallica, Slayer, Testament etc.) it's more a band trying very hard to transition out of being a predominaty metalcore band to an alternitive band and wannabe thrash metal. I can't beleive anyone would ever want to even bring this album into a discussion of thrash.I hate how Heafy will diss bands like Korn and Tool in the public eye and then go and make an album like this. They're trying to aim for a more mainstream sound and can't help but fall flat on there face, The guitars are hugely technical but sound boring and messy in a lot of there songs. Heafy is trying way to hard to Kirk Hammet and trying to hard to sing like hetfield. The drummin I have to say was surprisingly decent and actually showed a smooth transition from album to album.the bass was inaudible. And I really hate that when that happens. Either way the prodcution couldn't have been that good if all the songs sound as messed up as they do.

The lyrics are quite relevant for such an irrelevant album. It deals with famous killings like the Andrea Yates murders (Entrance Of the Conflagration) and many others I don't feel like writing. Heafy sounds like Hetfield on this album so I guess it's good He should just stick to his own style instead of immitating others.

I hate all Trivium albums equally so I can't tell if this was there best or worst album at all. There are no songs really worth mentioning except maybe ...And Sadness Will Sear, witch was at least formulated and tightly structured enough so I could pick out other instruments. I would probably burn all other copies of this album and wipe out triviums record deal. Just to stop this one album from being replicated.

hitek008
    YouAreDirt
    Not quite sure how Machanix can say this is Trivium's finest album. Ascendancy (in most ways) annihilates this record. Personally, I'm a fan of the heavier stuff, so when I found out Matt stopped screaming, I was disappointed. Also, the actual tracks themselves don't sound as heavy. Weird as it sounds, cause Dean is a great brand, I think the switch from Gibson/Jackson to Dean killed their sound. Maybe their rigs changed significantly, but it's just not the same. Best two tracks on the album are "The Crusade" and "Ignition", no doubt. WHAMMY BARS ARE NOT TO BE USED BY HEAFY, EVER, EVER, EVER. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that part at the end of the first solo in "Detonation" sounds like TRASH. Anyhow, Trivium needs to get back to the ways of Ascendancy. That is all.
    ax1
    this album is sick but has anyone noticed the wierd title thems like Fireetonation , Ignition and Entrance of the conflagrationg and Anthem(we are the fire) animals: becoming the dragon and to the rats just sumthing i picked up while reading the back cover lol
    skindred
    Fatally Jon wrote: I really liked the fact that Matt stopped screaming. To me, screaming/growling/whatever is a very immature vocal style and only reflects a lack of singing ability. Also, screaming takes away the aspect of vocal melody within music. "Ascendancy" showed us that Matt really could sing, and he decided to leave behind the unnecissary aspect of his vocal contributions to the band.
    so your telling me the likes of howard jones, rob flynn who growl and roar have no singing ability? i think these new vocalists nowadays should stop trying to join the men of metal with the screaming/growling, their throats just get torn apart i.e matt heafy, guy from a7x and the vocalist from bullet. the problem for me with trivium and the crusade is they tried way too hard to be another metallica, i mean heafy's vocals in that album is him trying to be hettfield, and he is not hettfield, i prefered ascendancy. the actual "crusade" instrumental is epic though if its any consolation lol
    cloud041089
    Curt Orris wrote: I am not sure if this is due to the switch from Jackson/Gibson to Dean (Don't get me wrong, I love Dean guitars, they just over all play nice... but it just doesn't have the same tone)
    must i repeat? besides strings and cable, your guitar is probably the smallest part of your tone. dont forget pickups, amps and amp settings.
    YouAreDirt
    That's why I said "Maybe their rigs changed significantly". And yeah, good point, I forgot John 5 used Fender.
    metallicax
    shredhexus wrote: if they re-released Ascendancy with him singing instead that would totally badass. ascendancy the music is definately better, but i'm not much a fan of his screaming
    Dude how the **** could u not like matts screaming, it was ****in awsome, great tone n didnt break up or nothin, i personally loved his voice in Ascendancy an Ember To Inferno. If they re-released Ascendancy without screaming..... GAY!! Anyway The Crusade is a ****in siik album, love entrance.. and becoming the dragon
    JRB Dog!!
    i do like this album...yea of course ascendancy was like 892323947823 better but..even though they changed styles a bit, the guitar sweeps and the heavy fast paced riffs still make it pretty bad ass
    Curt Orris
    Nathanial_ng wrote: compared to ascendancy, i think the crusade is a disappointment =( my opinion though...
    I kind of agree to this. Though the guitar parts do get more intense and dramatic in this album, and everything seems to fit more, I do feel a sense of loss when listening to it compared to the previous "Ascendancy". I am not sure if this is due to the switch from Jackson/Gibson to Dean (Don't get me wrong, I love Dean guitars, they just over all play nice... but it just doesn't have the same tone), or if it has to do with Matt's screams or hence, the lack of... I think it actually might be both of them together. Even though, it is a good album and I recommend buying it! But I don't know. Something is just different. Also, on a different note... Has anyone looked on myspace lately? They seem to be under the "Unsigned" section... I can't find anything on 'why' or even 'if' they even left there label... Does this have to do anything with the somewhat style change between albums? Did there label force them to do things they didn't want to? Or is it even truth? If you have any information about it, please message me, for I am very confused about this... Thanks =]
    cloud041089
    YouAreDirt wrote: Also, the actual tracks themselves don't sound as heavy. Weird as it sounds, cause Dean is a great brand, I think the switch from Gibson/Jackson to Dean killed their sound. Maybe their rigs changed significantly, but it's just not the same. Best two tracks on the album are "The Crusade" and "Ignition", no doubt.
    how does changing guitar brand make you less heavy? john 5 and wintersun use telecasters... obviously trivium changed their rig, pickups and writing style to sound different, shitty and less heavy.
    mr barnicals
    ascendancy was a lot more amazing, but i really think trivium are heading the right way.
    shredhexus
    SL!!!
    Didn't this album come out like 10 years ago? Holy late review batman.
    Fi-Fi
    deathbyemail wrote: trivium are a rubbish band, they may be able to play their instruments extremely well for their ages, but seriously.... can't you see there anourmous egos? if you can't, get your eyes tested.
    Ask yourself, what if black sabbath would have huge ego's would the music be less good? if you don't like sabbath go eat cheese it's an example, but don't judge the music by the asswipes who write it.
    +}-136-{+
    The album in my opinion was alright. It was a step in a good direction, but they haven't quite gotten there yet, whatever "there" is. But still, they're making good progress.
    0h The Horror
    I'm unsure what's wrong these people, the album is amazing. Amazing guitarists, vox = poppin, and the drummer. Deffinately worth the money.
    RenegadeDave
    Matt's lyrics are the weakpoint of the album. Hands down. If you're going to talk politics in thrash, do it in a veiled manner, a la "Disposable Heroes". His world view is so immature it sounds like the know it all 16 year old that's going to fix all the worlds problems with his big ideas. Don't get me wrong, the musicianship is rock solid and the composition is top flight as well, but the lyrics are horrible when he decides to get political, from his criticism of US's govt in Ignition, criticism of Islamic honor killings on Unrepentant, to criticising the misuse of force in Contempt Breeds Contamination. Oh and then there's the "ballad", which is horrible beyond words in This World Can't Tear Us Apart which sounds like that emo kid nobody liked in highschool wrote a poem for his crush on the back of his spiral notebook. All in all, the album is great, a solid 8/10. It's good to see more thrash popping up especially with their melodies over it.
    as_i_lay_dead
    trivium are a brilliantly talented band, ive seen them twice, but from that experience i significantly enjoyed the ascendancy songs more than the crusade, in fact i practically just stood there in the pit during the crusade songs....they had no effect on me, but the ascendancy songs really got me moving. i really dislike what they did on the crusade, the only song i really like off it is the crusade
    hitek008
    don't get me wrong i like trivium, no disrespect to their music,i think theyre a talented band. I know ppl say different things about the musicians they meet, i know matt is prolly not a prick all the time, it was just that time i met him at namm. Anyways pretty impressed with the crusade tho.
    undertow9x
    This is one of the best metal albums to come out in years. Any band that is on a mission to bring back Trash is alright with me.
    Fatally Jon
    Hexagram
    hitek008 wrote: i met matt heafy at namm, he was the biggest prick there maybe the only one. In fact i thought he said this in one interview that it took years for metallica to get where their at now....but its only going to take way less than that for trivium, kinda big headed there matt eh?
    wow, that's amazing--i met Matt at a local show prior to Ascendancy and then another local show after supporting Ascendancy's release and he was really nice and fun to be around. He really appreciated their fans coming out and supporting them. You must have met another Matt. Anyways, I would let a little ego slide since they have grown in increasing popularity these past 3 years
    red_hot_chili18
    i'm interested to listen to their new album coming out this year just to see what direction they've decided to go - forward or back to "classic trivium".
    Iron_Maiden8
    I love this album. it is a jump from ascendancy but it is still a very good album. i look forward to more trivium albums like this one