The Crusade review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Trivium: The Crusade

The Crusade is Trivium's 3rd album. It is different from some of their previous work. Namely, the vocals and guitar playing. The songs are more structured and complex than their previous work, and they really stepped up their guitar playing. The vocals are much "cleaner" than their previous work, and their isn't a lot of screaming. On this album they incorporated 7 string guitars for the first time. It shows, on songs like "This World Can't Tear Us Apart", and "And Sadness Will Sear." The overall sound is somewhat thrash-metal like, with hints of hard rock and the like. Some great guitar playing. Great solo's, and they experimented with some whammy bar tricks, on songs like "Detonation", and "Becoming the Dragon." Most of the songs have a fast pace feel to them, especially "To The Rats", and "Entrance of the Conflagration." There are some slower songs too. "And Sadness Will Sear" has an overall slower feel, as does "The Rising." That song is one of my favorites on the album, it has a very vibe-y intro riff, and the chorus just has this unifying, uplifting feel. The solo is very good, it just has so much emotion in it. One of the standouts on the album. And of course, the title track and last song on the album, is quite a song. It's an 8 minute instrumental that showcase Trivium's exemplary skills on their instruments. Nice drumming, great guitar playing, and some great bass runs, particularly in the soft breakdown in the middle of the song. Some great musicians Trivium are.

The lyrics on this album are very solid, and cover many topics. The first 2 tracks, "Ignition" and "Detonation", deal with the topic of society and nuclear war, and the world going downhill and blowing itself to bits. The track "Entrance of the Conflagration" deals with the true story of Andrea Yates' murder of her five children in her home by drowning them one-by-one in her bathtub. (Yates was found not guilty by reason of insanity). The song mentions Yates' depression and suicide attempts. The line: "Robbed by the seventh deadly sin" refers to a statement made by Yates about the murders: "It was the seventh deadly sin. My children weren't righteous. They stumbled because I was evil. The way I was raising them they could never be saved. They were doomed to perish in the fires of hell." The track "And Sadness Will Sear" is about another true story of the murder of Matthew Shephard. He was gay, and in Colorado was beaten and left to die by some despicable individuals, simply because he was a homosexual. Many of the songs are about true stories, like the wrongful murder of Amadou Diallo, who was shot 41 times by police officers in a confusing dispute. Evidenced by the lyrics," The four protectors fired 41 shots, hitting him 19 times. Searching the body there were no weapons found. He lies with all who died in vain." And even a love song "This World Can't tear Us Apart." The lyrics are very good and well written, and are quite unique.

Overall, a solid, yet different album by Trivium. A little different from what most people are used to from them. Overall I like the clean vocals and all, but there isn't a lot of variety in the vocals, most of it sounds a little similar. Probably could've used a little more screaming, as most Trivium fans are used to. Still some good work though. They are very good with their addition of the 7 string guitars, and the guitar work on the album is excellent. If it were lost/stolen I definitely would replace it, it's a good piece of work. Overall, I guess my top 5 favorite songs are, in no particular order: 01.The Crusade 02.Detonation 03.The Rising 04.And Sadness Will Sear 05.Entrance of the Conflagration

redgravegilver
    ^Generic metalcore? No other metalcore album during that time that is thrashy and has great musicianship like Ascendancy. Honestly, they might be and Heafy's vocals here might sound like Hetfield at times but the Trivium sound that they developed in Ascendancy is still present here. How people can dismissed this album by sounding like Metallica yet praise generic Thrash like Evile is beyond me. I'd take this album over most new Thrash album during the 2000's.
    roarinflames
    Streetcleaner wrote: anyone that thinks Trivium are the best band of "there generation " needs to go listen to some REAL metal
    anyone who comes to start shit on a review page should grow up and use correct grammar
    satanmiopadrone
    I will never understand why the dedicated Trivium fanwankers put up with the frankly hideous vocals on Ascendency and Ember just because it links the band to the 'metalcore' genre, ITS NOT EVEN A REAL GENRE! They are and always have been METAL! Cue unnecessarily agressive rants from said fanwankers.
    Smithsc
    Trivium is good, but their nothing like Metallica! There will never be another Metallica! At least not form a hardcore screamo metal band.
    hawkdude9
    what can i say about this that hasent already been said? it kicks ass, but besides the voice i honestly cant think of anything to compare it with metallica. A LOT OF METAL BANDS SOUND LIKE METALLICA. THEY ARE ONE OF THE MOST INFLUENCIAL BANDS OF ALL TIME. they acknowledge the fact that they sounded a little bit too much like hetfield singing so they changed that a little bit on shogun.
    saintjimmy924
    when this album first came out i thought it sucked i listened to it again recently and it has since become my favorite trivium album!!! =]
    guitarfreak222
    castoo wrote: If I wanted a metallica album, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A MDFING Metallica album this cd is junk, I wouldn't have even minded them changing into something new, but everything on this cd sounds like a million others
    That's what I thought on Ascendancy. It was a good album, but most of it was generic metalcore. (Braces self for hardcore flaming). However, Shogun didn't sound like anything else. It's clearly their most original piece of work up to date.