Vengeance Falls review by Trivium

• Released: Oct 9, 2013
Trivium: Vengeance Falls

"Vengeance Falls" is here. Trivium's sixth album, produced by Disturbed/Device frontman David Draiman and personally my most anticipated album of 2013. Sound-wise, Trivium and their studio crew certainly have done a very good job on the production of this album. The result is a tight, very modern sounding metal record that offers tight, machine gun guitar riffs to beautiful melodies, solid bass tracks, punchy drums and a brilliant vocal performance from Matt Heafy. Encouraged by Draiman, I believe Heafy has reached a new level in his vocal abilities. Rather than giving Heafy the Disturbed sound, I think he has pushed Heafy to find a larger range as a singer, giving him the ability to perform songs such as "Vengeance Falls" and "Strife." His screams may be less apparent than their previous albums but I believe now his skills as a vocalist have reached new ground. In terms of guitar work, the riffs are very fast and hard driven for the most part but a lot simpler than their previous efforts. This is most evident during songs like "Brave This Storm" where it mostly consists of riding the low E string with triplets mixed in and a relatively simple power chord chorus with a melody fill behind it. This simplicity makes the guitar riffs seem predictable, especially the first two riffs on "Strife." I could tell there was a harmony coming for them from a mile away. Nick definitely has been a great addition to Trivium and his drum tracks show this. Coming from a grindcore background, his influences shine through with tight double bass prominent throughout the album. Paolo's bass parts are also solid throughout with even a bass solo in "Incineration: The Broken World." Corey's solo work throughout the album is also spectacular, they all add greatly to the songs rather than just being there by necessity.

I think Matt has produced some good lyrics on this album. From gems like from "Villainy Thrives": "How can you harm a living thing thinking that it's your right / How can you defile a life / Deprive it of innocence? / For too long you have gotten away with murder / A fitting justice would be your painful execution / If only I could afflict you / Hurt you in the same way that you hurt / I just want to exact reprisal / Retribution calls." However I do believe that some of the lyrics get a bit repetitive at times, especially during "Strife" where the chorus lyrics are repeated four times with no variation to end the song.

In comparison to Trivium's other albums, this isn't anything like their old stuff. To me, this seems like a continuation of "In Waves" with simpler music and hooks rather than super aggressive thrash stuff. The songs that impressed me most were "Strife," "No Way to Heal," "Through Blood and Dirt and Bone" and "Wake (The End Is Nigh)." I loved the direction Trivium took with this, focusing more on melody than technicality however that being said it could almost be considered too simple and predictable at times. Hopefully their future material stays in this direction with their old styles mixed in more.